Sponsored

Exterior mounting (rotopax / jerry cans / maxtraxs) for soft top ?

ARock0ne

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good morning! Anyone have good ideas for mounting rotopax/jerry cans and maxtraxs externally on a 4 dr with a soft top.

So far, I've found an ez mount on the tire for the rotopax that I may be able to modify and the intelligent mount 2 from Smittybilt that I'd need to modify to fit on the tire as well. I'd prefer to not use the trailer hitch cargo basket because of departure angles.

Please let me know if you've found good solutions.

When Gobi and Garvin get a little further along in the year, there will likely be more options. I'd like to, at least, get some extra water outside the cab at this point though so I can fit all the other stuff I'm hauling.

Thanks!
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been over this more than a dozen times now and it seems the best solution to date is American Adventure Lab's spare tire platform. If you get it with the extra brackets and buy the mounting hardware you can mount max tracks and rotopax directly on it and probably still have 30lbs to spare for a few more items on the platform, perhaps more if you're not carrying a sasquatch tire.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been over this more than a dozen times now and it seems the best solution to date is American Adventure Lab's spare tire platform. If you get it with the extra brackets and buy the mounting hardware you can mount max tracks and rotopax directly on it and probably still have 30lbs to spare for a few more items on the platform, perhaps more if you're not carrying a sasquatch tire.
I, too, like the AAL spare tire platform concept.
You seem to have a handle on weight limits for the swing out rear door - is it published somewhere? (excuse me for not using the Search function)

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I, too, like the AAL spare tire platform concept.
You seem to have a handle on weight limits for the swing out rear door - is it published somewhere? (excuse me for not using the Search function)
133LBS

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the AAL platform also. What worries me is all that weight on the spare tire bracket even the beefed up one. Weight just setting there is one thing, weight while going 45 mph down washboard gravel road or any 5 rated and up trail is a completely different beast. wondering how tire bracket will hold up over time.

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the AAL platform also. What worries me is all that weight on the spare tire bracket even the beefed up one. Weight just setting there is one thing, weight while going 45 mph down washboard gravel road or any 5 rated and up trail is a completely different beast. wondering how tire bracket will hold up over time.
I cannot remember exactly where, maybe it was archetype racing doing research but they pulled that entire thing apart and the spare tire hold is nearly entirely plastic, so ya i bet it ends up needing reinforcement as well as the hinges. Personally I only intend to mount up the recovery gear and maybe my tent poles.

OP
OP
ARock0ne

ARock0ne

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I cannot remember exactly where, maybe it was archetype racing doing research but they pulled that entire thing apart and the spare tire hold is nearly entirely plastic, so ya i bet it ends up needing reinforcement as well as the hinges. Personally I only intend to mount up the recovery gear and maybe my tent poles.
Looks like a near perfect solution for me right now.... good call.

It does state that to reach full capacity the tire needs to be hard mounted with steal... I'll kri that on mind, but this looks like it works for my needs!

Thx

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a sweet setup. I wonder how it is with the extra weight attached to the spare tire though? I can't imagine that's good for the rear cargo door/hinges if that's fully loaded with gear.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a sweet setup. I wonder how it is with the extra weight attached to the spare tire though? I can't imagine that's good for the rear cargo door/hinges if that's fully loaded with gear.
@fronc Do you have any weight issues with your Spare Tire setup?

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

there's no way I'd add that much weight to the rear door, no matter what enforcements. Maybe if the spare is mounted on a swing out that's mounted to a replacement bumper.
I'm sure there will be exo skeleton options for the soft top or get a hitch mounted carrier to get your stuff to where you camp, then have extra gas/water inside? Having that much weight just hanging on the spare mount seems to call for trouble IMO.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m also in the process of brainstorming a system on my LR Disco 1 to use wedges/? chocks between the spare and the rear bumper…essentially taking weight off spare mount and rear door and onto bumper. The concept:
B3614097-7A7D-4387-80CA-EC3D85C8172A.jpeg

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
wrbix, please follow up if you go deeper with this idea.
My tire and factory rim combo weighs 107 pounds. That 133 pound limit for tailgate does not make me want to hang anything more onto it. I am wanting 4-5 gallons of extra fuel.
Sponsored