First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, Lexus NX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So my Bronco has been in the shop the past week. Took a drive from Texas to California and back. No problem whatsoever the whole trip.... no heavy revving or driving crazy or anything like that since I had my family in the car. Had done an oil change not too long ago either.

Took it to Ford because it felt wrong as soon as I got back into my driveway and then the engine check light comes on. Sure enough, Ford tells me it's misfiring. It's been in the shop for a week now and they said they plan to install a new oxygen sensor (not sure how that works?), rerun the tests, and drive it on the road to see how it functions. But he said more than likely, they'll need to replace the engine. I have 20k miles on it and I got this back in July 2022 so yea... a little high when I think the usual is ~12k mi to ~15k mi per year.

The service department is telling me though, if I get this new engine, they are telling me that I seriously need to consider selling this (not to them in particular, just sell it in general). They said they've had so many Bronco owners return their vehicles for engine issues.

So what's the general consensus? With a new engine, should I just hold on to it? Do we have any evidence that the Bronco engines have a high failure rate?
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So my Bronco has been in the shop the past week. Took a drive from Texas to California and back. No problem whatsoever the whole trip.... no heavy revving or driving crazy or anything like that since I had my family in the car. Had done an oil change not too long ago either.

Took it to Ford because it felt wrong as soon as I got back into my driveway and then the engine check light comes on. Sure enough, Ford tells me it's misfiring. It's been in the shop for a week now and they said they plan to install a new oxygen sensor (not sure how that works?), rerun the tests, and drive it on the road to see how it functions. But he said more than likely, they'll need to replace the engine. I have 20k miles on it and I got this back in July 2022 so yea... a little high when I think the usual is ~12k mi to ~15k mi per year.

The service department is telling me though, if I get this new engine, they are telling me that I seriously need to consider selling this (not to them in particular, just sell it in general). They said they've had so many Bronco owners return their vehicles for engine issues.

So what's the general consensus? With a new engine, should I just hold on to it? Do we have any evidence that the Bronco engines have a high failure rate?

That seems fairly insane, which motor do you have?

My 2021 Bronco 2.7 currently has 82k miles on it.

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe the Service Dept should clarify exactly what kinds of engine issues they have had to deal with. Seems like quite a leap from an O2 sensor to resolve a misfire to lets replace the engine. I hope they proceed slowly and eliminate possible simple solutions before tossing the motor and installing a new one. If it is an engine replacement, personally I would still keep the Bronco. And keep enjoying the ride.

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If they are replacing oxygen sensors to fix a misfire, I would find someone else with better diagnostic skills. My engine has been fine for 33k so far. Sounds like some these shade tree mechanics that come in my store with their customers.

tofudrifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wtf....damn sorry to hear. My wife had the same issue with her pontiac g6 at 90k miles which i already thought was insane. A 20k mile engine replacement is very unexpected. We love these cars. Maybe consider getting another new one to get the "latest n greatest" ?

Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Find another dealer to fix your Bronco.
Why? If they are going to give him a new engine under warranty that seems like a perfectly fine dealer.

He is under no obligation to take the advice of the service department in regards to the ownership of his vehicle.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My first reaction was that replacing the O2 sensor(s) is like replacing your toilet paper because you crapped your pants ;)

but, the O2 sensors are what detects a misfire so they might be thinking they should make sure they are working first ;)

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why? If they are going to give him a new engine under warranty that seems like a perfectly fine dealer.

He is under no obligation to take the advice of the service department in regards to the ownership of his vehicle.
[/QUOTE

For the service department to diagnose the problem as an O2 sensor or complete engine replacement is comparable to a physician telling a patient either a bandaid or a heart transplant is needed.

OP
OP
MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus

Outer Banks
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Perhaps the service guy meant they were going to use the oxygen sensor to better understand what was happening...? I'll update this thread when it comes in Monday or Tuesday.

When he told me that, it didn't make sense but I'd rather talk to the mechanic than him about what he had seen so I didn't press him further.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What codes are being reported on the diagnostic software? 😂. I would find it hard to believe with the capability of Ford’s IDS software they can’t diagnose a misfire. By the way Forscan has very similar diagnostics.

OP
OP
MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus

Outer Banks
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Meant to say I have the V6. It's been an incredible motor up until this point. Again, we'll see what actually happens the beginning of next week. The technician probably has the correct info.
Sponsored