First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just wish I could get the wireless CarPlay to work. Stopped a few weeks ago and can’t get it to connect for nothing.
Sponsored

cracKen

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just wish I could get the wireless CarPlay to work. Stopped a few weeks ago and can’t get it to connect for nothing.
Is your bluetooth on? I believe CarPlay stopped working in the bronco for a day until i re-enabled bluetooth. I had disabled bluetooth bc i was connected to the in house surround sound and wanted it disconnected.

No way I would buy a car without CarPlay bc id rather use Google Maps, Waze, and Gaia (subscription that im grandfathered into for cheap). I do not want another subscription. I can use Gaia outside my car, and thats one of the main reason I pay yearly for it. I'm not going to pay a subscription for the car.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm aware of the existence of these interfaces, and have tried them myself, but for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would prefer using either of those laggy and buggy connections over a simple bluetooth connection for basic phone interface. You guys trying to play raid shadow legends or something on your Bronco screens? All that stuff is already on your phone and isn't neutered and nannied for your safety, why do you need it over there too 🤷‍♂️

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Woah, I had to check the date on this post. 2023, interesting.
Haha, guess old habits die hard lol. Only have a 3gb data plan to share with the wife, we rarely get close to going over it except when I have android auto running. Seems like a few days of running it I start getting the alert 50% used, 75% used 90% used lol

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm aware of the existence of these interfaces, and have tried them myself, but for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would prefer using either of those laggy and buggy connections over a simple bluetooth connection for basic phone interface. You guys trying to play raid shadow legends or something on your Bronco screens? All that stuff is already on your phone and isn't neutered and nannied for your safety, why do you need it over there too 🤷‍♂️
What I use CarPlay for is neither laggy nor buggy. Apps respond as quickly as native Sync selections, which is to say, with no noticeable lag. Without CarPlay, using apps like Waze would mean having to mount my phone somewhere up on the dash and fiddling during a drive. With CarPlay, I can have nav and music on the same screen. Or nav (e.g., for trails), and pitch and roll or other settings displayed simultaneously. With CarPlay, I can hear and respond to a text hands-free. That's especially helpful when my wife would like me to stop by the grocery store and pick something up on the way home, for example. Much better than getting all the way home without seeing the text and having to go back out again.

If someone doesn't see the benefits of CarPlay/Android Auto, it's most likely that they don't understand all of the things it can do. You don't even have to be someone who's "always connected" to get a lot of benefit from it.

Sponsored

BeeMiller

Outer Banks
First Name
Betty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Furion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd be happy if my Nexar camera worked with the carplay. They won't work together.
But then again that Projwhatever wifi or hotspot (whatever it's called) from my Bronco doesn't do a thing. It won't work like it's supposed to. But my wifi from my Nexar camera is the actual hotspot of my vehicle. I guess I need to try to remove the Projxxx since it's useless.

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GM will spend a fortune and they will fail. First smart decision I’ve seen from Ford in a while.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I feel I'm in such a minority. I don't want my vehicle to become an extension of my phone. I get in my vehicle and put the phone down. I don't need my text messages read to me, I don't need anything on my phone while driving. I can answer texts/phone calls etc when I get where I'm going. I have satellite radio, and with that I'm good to go. Even if I wanted a podcast or audio book, I could still stream that via bluetooth. Carplay gains me nothing. I don't get the fascination with having it. 🤷‍♂️
I stream music from my iPhone to my car whether it’s Pandora, Apple Music, or another app. I also use Waze and sometimes Apple Maps. I don’t really miss CarPlay when driving my Tesla but their app works seamlessly with my iPhone for music and calls. The Tesla mapping is awesome especially with its 17” diagonal screen.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What I use CarPlay for is neither laggy nor buggy. Apps respond as quickly as native Sync selections, which is to say, with no noticeable lag. Without CarPlay, using apps like Waze would mean having to mount my phone somewhere up on the dash and fiddling during a drive. With CarPlay, I can have nav and music on the same screen. Or nav (e.g., for trails), and pitch and roll or other settings displayed simultaneously. With CarPlay, I can hear and respond to a text hands-free. That's especially helpful when my wife would like me to stop by the grocery store and pick something up on the way home, for example. Much better than getting all the way home without seeing the text and having to go back out again.

If someone doesn't see the benefits of CarPlay/Android Auto, it's most likely that they don't understand all of the things it can do. You don't even have to be someone who's "always connected" to get a lot of benefit from it.
My phone is mounted just to the left of the blinker, same position as in my plane, and I can do all of what you listed without needing anything besides a bluetooth connection to the Bronco for sound. I'm using it like a bluetooth speaker, and that's it. Text to speech and back, hands free when I feel like it, fully functional when I don't feel like it. I tried the synch for onxoffroad, the connection isn't super stable and tends to disconnect and reconnect more often than what I consider acceptable, and I end up with less functionality than if I just use the phone for it instead. Once connected, not only do I have watered down functionality on the app shown in the screen, it even limits function on my phone too.

For navigation, a tablet with offline maps downloaded from onx is the way to go. Connect it to a GDL-52 and it'll provide the most accurate navigation short of a dedicated Lowrance unit, along with XM and ADSD-B weather maps available anytime you're far enough off highway that cell service isn't usable even with a booster. I've found that the native nav software is more than adequate for highway use and integrates with trip information on the Bronco well, the map displays right next to my music selection, and I retain functional buttons on the wheel and dash with just bluetooth, no apple/android synch necessary.

I feel like the apple/android synch is just adding a middleman to all the features I'd want to use it for. Sure, you get to display certain apps on the screen if that's your thing, but your apps are also limited by the synch software, and if you don't need them displayed, it's actually more of a hindrance than a feature. If I wanted my apps featured on the screen, I'd probably use an aux input with the Bronco's screen to allow a direct and physical connection to display whatever I wanted without a conditional nanny connection. Using the entire screen as a display for your phone is doable, or a tablet, or even an actual mini-PC build tucked away under the dash with starlink roaming so you can B6G while you're in your 6G (I dunno, that last one sounds kinda sweet tbh). Your usage and experience may be different than mine, I just don't see how the apple/android synch is going to be anything other than a redundant process for what I already have. That's why I'm wondering just what exactly you guys are using it for that convinces you to put up with it.

Bronco Master

Base
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base, 2017 Ford Superduty F-250 STX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They better I love my Apple CarPlay!

Sponsored

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the only thing I really use in Apple Car Play is the map app. Better than paying Ford for outdated connected navigation.
This is the answer I was looking for. My current car was just before CarPlay came out to the masses and every time I use it in our other car or while traveling, the clear benefit is the up to date maps and ease of searching for a place on your phone and hitting go. Trying to type your destination into an integrated GPS system was always terrible.

GPS does have the advantage, however, of actually being connected when you lose cell service. Although downloading the area ahead of time negates that as well.

Edit: I utilize maps a lot because traffic in Houston varies so much and there are frequently alternatives that avoid freeway closures, crashes, etc. If you're in a rural area and rarely use maps then I could see not appreciating the difference.

Last edited:

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Haha, guess old habits die hard lol. Only have a 3gb data plan to share with the wife, we rarely get close to going over it except when I have android auto running. Seems like a few days of running it I start getting the alert 50% used, 75% used 90% used lol
You should shop for plans, it may be that you can move to an unlimited one for less than you're paying now. Maybe even toss in a free/discounted new phone. Emphasis on "may"

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
GM is making a really bad decision. I would not buy a new car that didn't have Carplay or Android Auto. When we got my wifes Subaru Outback we waited until the 2018 model year to get Carplay. We tried the Subaru interface on the 2017s and it sucked. The dealer couldn't believe we waited an extra 6 months to get the new model but I've never regretted the decision. We can go to different cars and not have to figure out some proprietary interface.

I also wouldn't be surprised if GM is doing this so they can charge subscription fees for services. My bet is it will be a big fail.

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GM is making a really bad decision. I would not buy a new car that didn't have Carplay or Android Auto. When we got my wifes Subaru Outback we waited until the 2018 model year to get Carplay. We tried the Subaru interface on the 2017s and it sucked. The dealer couldn't believe we waited an extra 6 months to get the new model but I've never regretted the decision. We can go to different cars and not have to figure out some proprietary interface.

I also wouldn't be surprised if GM is doing this so they can charge subscription fees for services. My bet is it will be a big fail.
Same here, when my daughter’s car was totaled. It was a must have feature when I was looking for a replacement. I just don’t know if I could buy anything new that doesn’t have it. I’m sure I’m not paying for it as a service.
Sponsored