First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I discovered today that where the lower control arm on my driver side is bolted into at the frame joint closest to the front is bent backwards and now tucks up against the bottom of the lower control arm joint. It's basically hugging it pretty good - but probably wouldn't cause any blocking of travel until the control arm needed to travel downward.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, have you corrected it and how? I tried getting some vice grips down there and bending it back, but I can't get a good enough grip at the center of the bend to get it to budge at all; too close to the control arm. I must have bumped into a rock pretty good..
Sponsored

KTP 30

Wildtrak
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wildtrak 23 Bas Squatch 93 Mustang 87 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So, I discovered today that where the lower control arm on my driver side is bolted into at the frame joint closest to the front is bent backwards and now tucks up against the bottom of the lower control arm joint. It's basically hugging it pretty good - but probably wouldn't cause any blocking of travel until the control arm needed to travel downward.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, have you corrected it and how? I tried getting some vice grips down there and bending it back, but I can't get a good enough grip at the center of the bend to get it to budge at all; too close to the control arm. I must have bumped into a rock pretty good..
Pics?

OP
OP

JDub94

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here is what I'm talking about

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Happened on my Xterra a lot. The mount is relatively thin metal there and it's out in front for every rock to hit.

You can bend it back and usually get it in relatively decent shape again. Depending how many times you end up hitting it over the course of owning the vehicle, you may get to the point where it's just mangled and you need to cut it off and weld a replacement on.

Sponsored

E. Davis

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yikes. No way a vice grip is gonna budge that. Assuming the control mount is fully frame-welded (appears to be in the pics) , you'll probably need to take it to a machinist who should be able to heat / bend it back. Looks like they will need to remove the lower control arm to do so.

OP
OP

JDub94

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yikes. No way a vice grip is gonna budge that. Assuming the control mount is fully frame-welded (appears to be in the pics) , you'll probably need to take it to a machinist who should be able to heat / bend it back. Looks like they will need to remove the lower control arm to do so.
This is what I was thinking I would probably need to do. Heat it with a torch and bend it back into place.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, vice grips aren't going to cut it.

What I would do is:

1. Lift that corner up to get full droop and see if it's even going to be an issue.
2. If it is going to be an issue, pull the control arm out first. You don't want to cause more costly damage trying to fix the issue.

You may be able to get it back reasonable straight with a pry bar or you may have to get in there with a mallet or BFH to bang it back out.

Since it appears to be a piece that hangs down and you're likely to hit it again, you could just cut it off with a grinder.

OP
OP

JDub94

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, vice grips aren't going to cut it.

What I would do is:

1. Lift that corner up to get full droop and see if it's even going to be an issue.
2. If it is going to be an issue, pull the control arm out first. You don't want to cause more costly damage trying to fix the issue.

You may be able to get it back reasonable straight with a pry bar or you may have to get in there with a mallet or BFH to bang it back out.
I think at the point of removing the control arm I'd just get a torch and bend it back. Would probably allow me to get it more closely to original shape, as well.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think at the point of removing the control arm I'd just get a torch and bend it back. Would probably allow me to get it more closely to original shape, as well.
Just be careful with the heat. There are bushings in the control arm that will melt/seize.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JDub94

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just be careful with the heat. There are bushings in the control arm that will melt/seize.
I should be able to remove and clear those out, yeah?

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I should be able to remove and clear those out, yeah?
Not sure what you mean. If you melt them? At least in the Xterra, they would melt over an onto the bolt making it next to impossible to get the bolt out. I've had to cut several bolts to get the control arm out over the years.

To my earlier point, you probably want that control arm out of the way, regardless how you decide to bend the metal back.

OP
OP

JDub94

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure what you mean. If you melt them? At least in the Xterra, they would melt over an onto the bolt making it next to impossible to get the bolt out. I've had to cut several bolts to get the control arm out over the years.

To my earlier point, you probably want that control arm out of the way, regardless how you decide to bend the metal back.
Sorry - I meant remove the arm and anything that could melt before heating

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

we all did the same. I emailed foutz a while back and got them to fab up the reinforcements. There are slotted stock style and non slotted.

https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/products/2021-up-bronco-lower-arm-pivot-gusset-kit
Sponsored