Sponsored

What would be Plan B larger vehicle for a family hauler?

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My gut tells me that if you’re already worried the Bronco will be to small, it’s likely it will be.

4Runner, though similar in size, may be the answer. The unibody construction and layout will make those back seats feel more civilized and proper.
4runner actually has less leg room than the Bronco according to my Google searches. I think the 4runner has something like 32" of leg room in the second row and the Bronco has like 36"

The problem with the 4runner for me is the engine. It should either have more power or better fuel efficiency.
Sponsored

Dcdds

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2nd on the expedition. I love mine its still looking good and does it all. Third row folds down if you don't want it. They have 2 row options and a timberline option coming this year. BTW I'm 6'2 I sat in the back of a 4 door last wk with the seat back it was fine. With the seat back and lowered down no way. I liked the seat up and all the way back anyway, and... it's just awesome in person so I'm still in.

Bituman

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Raptor, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Your specification is fairly narrow. You say no pickups. But a lot of the SUV’s one size up from Bronco are based on those and handle similarly. I initially thought of a Tahoe or Sequoyah, but those might be too big. I think bytheway’s suggestion of an Explorer might be worth a look. Your explanation of where you want this vehicle to take you seems to suggest Explorer. FWIW, my daily driver is a 4WD Tundra crew cab. It’s really the least sophisticated of all the pickups. But it has lots of room inside and with a bed cover, I have a secure place to keep things. Not pushing a Tundra for you, but you might want to reconsider a pickup based on the needs you cite. Either way, good luck!

Bob

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CT5-V Blackwing. The last real Cadillac V car. 668hp and a manual.

Ford Bronco What would be Plan B larger vehicle for a family hauler? 1619139229175

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Atlas... awesome vehicle

Sponsored

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Defender 110? A little bit off an odd option but that Jag wagon think XF? I believe audi also offers an A6 Allroad here now that’s a very nice car.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think this is just a result of the upright nature of the windshield vs cars and other vehicles with severely raked windshields. my 97 F250 gives me the same feeling vs my Focus ST.
I think it’s a result of the bronco having a short and narrow windshield.

The Bronco 4 door could never be a family hauler for us. My wifes reaction was why do you want this tiny thing. We have always had full size vehicles though.

Op, I recommend an expedition. One of my favorite vehicles we’ve ever owned. You will get used to driving and parking a full sized in no time.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2003 Ford Excursion, 4x4, Eddie Bauer edition

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Explorer Timberline

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the answer is clearly a 4 Runner. Barely bigger than a bronco, slightly less but still very off road capable, more reliable, not as big as a pickup, not as fast or sporty as a bronco, same price range as a bronco.

The leg room was ok in the rear seat. I'm 6' 3" and my legs had maybe a half inch to spare. However the upright nature of the seat was not good. A budget airline seat is probably a fair comparison. It's just not very comfortable for a tall adult.

My major complaint with the bronco is the rear interior. The 4" floor rise, the non removeable yet uncomfortable rear seat, the low cargo space, carpet on the back of the seats, the lack of tailgate, the locking mechanism box taking up space, etc. Ford just didn't use the limited space very well, in my opinion.

If we end up going with a different vehicle it will be because of the rear interior. It's a shame because the rest of the vehicle is great and I think with a better design the rear of the vehicle could be much more practical even with it's current dimensions.

Sponsored

Bituman

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Raptor, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
4runner actually has less leg room than the Bronco according to my Google searches. I think the 4runner has something like 32" of leg room in the second row and the Bronco has like 36"

The problem with the 4runner for me is the engine. It should either have more power or better fuel efficiency.
Yep, I have a 2017 4Runner. All around solid vehicle and very capable and reliable. I bought it to use until 6G Bronco appeared. But my one complaint is the engine. You are exactly right. The engine is fairly anemic. Back seat is comfortable but legroom is a bit lacking. For me not a big deal because it seldom gets used.

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
200 series. you can get the LX570 in 2 row configuration. i would 100% go to a 200 if i needed more than a 2 door.

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion, 18 Grand Caravan, 78 F250, 81 CB750F
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Combined 1st and 2nd row legroom for a 4dr Bronco is 79.4”. Here are a few vehicles that are perfectly capable of light off-roading that beat that

1. Honda Passport (80.5”)
2. Subaru Outback (82.3”)
3. Mazda CX-5 (80.6”)
4. Kia Sorrento (83.1”)
5. Chevy Blazer (80.6”)
6. Toyota Highlander (83”)

Out of that bunch, the highlander is my favorite, very spacious 1st and 2nd rows. The 3rd row is cramped and best left folded down. But it’s a very well thought out vehicle and get’s you 5k lbs of towing capacity too.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I also was thinking he may like a Highlander. I rented one a few weeks ago and had 4 adults and a dog in it for a multi hour camping trip to another state. It was nice and comfortable, front and back, for paved roads.

What the OP is asking is a paradox - something "not big" and "not a truck" but "bigger than the Bronco" The only way he can get all that is to go for a more luxury SUV. The Sequoia might be good too. But I hope price is not further limitation.

OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I also was thinking he may like a Highlander. I rented one a few weeks ago and had 4 adults and a dog in it for a multi hour camping trip to another state. It was nice and comfortable, front and back, for paved roads.

What the OP is asking is a paradox - something "not big" and "not a truck" but "bigger than the Bronco" The only way he can get all that is to go for a more luxury SUV. The Sequoia might be good too. But I hope price is not further limitation.
I guess I'll get my answers on Wednesday. I'm on the calendar to see a real Bronco in New Jersey. Fingers crossed! Thank you all for your advice!
Sponsored