Sponsored

Would you abandon the Bronco for the FJ?

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had a manual 6spd FJ Cruiser for nearly 10 years now. It doesn’t have the bells and whistles because I never needed them. It’s been a fun and a reliable suv to get me places. Absolutely love it.

Now, I’m planing to sell or trade it in specifically for my dream Bronco with the bells and whistles. Why not spoil myself? The new Bronco is it for me. I know it’s going to be a better, practical (four doors, no more dealing with the suicide doors, removable top top and doors, etc.), and more fun vehicle than my FJ was.

So I couldn’t see myself turning my back on Ford now even if Toyota came out with a new FJ40.
Sponsored

foreWard

Badlands
First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep GC Trailhawk, 2003 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would you care to explain why you would be unwilling to switch to the FJ even though you have no ties or historical connection with the Bronco?
Sure. I really like the new Bronco, I am not looking to switch. I have no nostalgic ties to it, but I also have no ties to an FJ. Nothing against the FJ, they are cool, but I am happy with how the new Bronco has turned out. The only thing that would make me switch would be an IH Scout, and it would need to be as impressive as the Bronco is for me to do that.
On a side note, my Grandfather also had a late 80s Land Cruiser, but the new cruisers are so expensive and luxury focused, it’s not really the same vibe. A redux of one of those would be intriguing, though.

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have had a manual 6spd FJ Cruiser for nearly 10 years now. It doesn’t have the bells and whistles because I never needed them. It’s been a fun and a reliable suv to get me places. Absolutely love it.

Now, I’m planing to sell or trade it in specifically for my dream Bronco with the bells and whistles.

So I couldn’t see myself turning my back on Ford now even if Toyota came out with a new FJ40.
Alright Eric you got me confused now ??
It would appear it is the FJ you are abandoning and not the yet to own Bronco ?
Ford Bronco Would you abandon the Bronco for the FJ? D3D68A04-01F2-48DB-A3E0-69E1CD7BF4CC

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright Eric you got me confused now ??
Ford Bronco Would you abandon the Bronco for the FJ? D3D68A04-01F2-48DB-A3E0-69E1CD7BF4CC
My bad haha. Looks like my first post accidentally got on here (I think at that time it wasn’t allowing me to post but clearly it did). Please use the second post as to why I’m leaning towards the Bronco.

Really, it’s for a four door, removable top and doors, and upgraded tech. I also am moving on from manual to an automatic. Love manual but I’m just tired of using manual near cities or when I find myself in traffic.

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
300-Series Land Cruiser - "stripped-out off-roader"

According to this, it will use the same platform as the new 2022 4Runner

0-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-SUV-Black-1001x565%20%281%29.jpg
Wow. That would be amazing. Like @zaki said though, I can’t imagine them just up and getting rid of that beastly luxury 300 entirely. I mean, that thing starts at $85k and I see them all the time around town so there is apparently a market for them. I see way more 4Runners, Tacoma’s, Tundras and even Sequoias though. A TRD Pro LC with fox racing suspension, removable doors and roof and all the off road goodies a new Bronco or Wrangler has would be mind blowing, but only if they keep it around the $55k max price range like their other TRD Pros. I do think it would cannibalize a ton of 4Runner sales, and even some Tacoma though. I hope that info you posted is right. An FJ70 would also be mind blowing to see stateside.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I hope that info you posted is right.
Of course we never really know, that is why I always provide a link to the source of anything I post, so you can judge the credibility for yourself.

At times, some articles at motorbiscuit.com seem more like clickbait, worse at times then TFL.

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Of course we never really know, that is why I always provide a link to the source of anything I post, so you can judge the credibility for yourself.

At times, some articles at motorbiscuit.com seem more like clickbait, worse at times then TFL.
All very intriguing and exciting possibilities which is why to me it is so incredible that Ford not only went through the entire process of envisioning, green lighting, designing and developing what from any metric appears to be a touch down play on the new Bronco.

A thumbs up ? to Ford for making things very interesting in this exciting niche that everyone essentially has neglected to the great benefit of Jeep.

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since they haven’t started yet I’d be better off getting the bronco and then selling it if the FJ was better.
The upcoming Bronco is a very desirable and historic vehicle with lots of character.

I am likely to get it and then keep it adding a Toyota FJ40/70 inspired LC if and when that becomes a reality.

The two will make great stablemates!

2F449FF7-414C-4CD5-9ED2-0409684315E0.jpeg

A1F57021-0528-4492-81A6-6D03965BCC5E.jpeg

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it was coming out at the same time, and was a clearly superior vehicle atvs similar price point, sure. I’ve started looking at off road capable vehicles a few years ago and settle on waiting for the Bronco. I’m not going to wait any longer.

Sponsored

Shane

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser and 2001 F250 SD 4WD 7.3l
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I own my 2nd FJ now. Love a lot of it. Only other choice was a Jeep and I needed more in reliability, daily drivability, and a little more oomph.
I need a Bronco. I am getting a Bronco.
IF Toyota were to come out with another FJ that compared to the Bronco, it’d be worth a look. I just don’t think they will and be comparable or better in price, value, or utility. Or FUN!
Until this is sorted, I’ll enjoy my FJ, and keep designing and building my virtual Bronco.

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I own my 2nd FJ now. Love a lot of it. Only other choice was a Jeep and I needed more in reliability, daily drivability, and a little more oomph.
I need a Bronco. I am getting a Bronco.
IF Toyota were to come out with another FJ that compared to the Bronco, it’d be worth a look. I just don’t think they will and be comparable or better in price, value, or utility. Or FUN!
Until this is sorted, I’ll enjoy my FJ, and keep designing and building my virtual Bronco.
I am starting to see a pattern here, almost everyone who owns or has owned an FJ Cruiser or a Taco or 4Runner says they love(d) it!

Yet they are planning on getting the sexy Bronco because Toyota does not have a comparable "fun" SUV. If Toyota ever needed a reason to get cracking on adding "fun" to their rugged and reliable appliance like off roaders, it is this. People want reliable but they want FUN just as much. It is difficult to put these two qualities together in the same vehicle and people often have to settle for one or the other.

Anyone who can put the two together will have a winner on their hands.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow. That would be amazing. Like @zaki said though, I can’t imagine them just up and getting rid of that beastly luxury 300 entirely. I mean, that thing starts at $85k and I see them all the time around town so there is apparently a market for them. I see way more 4Runners, Tacoma’s, Tundras and even Sequoias though. A TRD Pro LC with fox racing suspension, removable doors and roof and all the off road goodies a new Bronco or Wrangler has would be mind blowing, but only if they keep it around the $55k max price range like their other TRD Pros. I do think it would cannibalize a ton of 4Runner sales, and even some Tacoma though. I hope that info you posted is right. An FJ70 would also be mind blowing to see stateside.
They sell 3,000 LCs in the US a year. They sell twice as many LX570, which is still not very good.

Ditching the uber-expensive LCs for a $40-$60k version and keeping the LX for the high end buyer would be a great business decision IMO. Hell, if they dropped the 4Runner, Sequioa, and luxury trim LC and just did the 300 series start at $39k with trims up to $60k they'd probably sell more than those 3 models combined.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Toyota were to theoretically be inspired to do the same with their own legendary FJ40 series (obviously for financial reasons to gain a share of this lucrative market segment) and bring it to life staying true to the original's appealing qualities would you abandon your decision to wait for the Bronco and wait for the FJ instead ?
When the renewed FJ came out so-many years back, I remember we looked at it. We thought it was pretty cool looking at the auto show, but I don't remember why we didn't think it was purchase-worthy. I think a new FJ would have to hit it out of the park like Ford did with the Bronco. Styling would need to capture our hearts and features to capture our minds.

I fear a new FJ would take on Toyota's current design cues and the front end would look like some sort of angry catfish trying to suck up everything off the road. ?
Sponsored