Sponsored

Michigan Bronco Club

Members from the Mitten and the U.P.
broncoGIRL21
Anyone have to fix their windshield yet? Mine just cracked today. For literally no reason. :mad:
Show full message
AllthePonies
AllthePonies
If the windshield is cracked on the inside then Ford should cover the replacement. This happened on my expedition, and Ford replaced it under warranty. As long as there is no external crack (i.e. you can’t detect a crack on the outside with your fingernail) then you should be in good shape.
Mariposap75
Mariposap75
@AllthePonies ugh! I noticed one this morning when I got into my vehicle and it was not there before. It looks like it’s inside. Guess it’s time to call the dealer.😩😩 I’m getting some sort of windshield protection after this. 😂😂
Mariposap75
Mariposap75
Also, what would cause it to crack in the inside?!
AllthePonies
AllthePonies
@Mariposap75 Keeping in mind that I’m not a materials engineer, there is likely either a defect in the glass or a mistake was made when installing the windshield at the factory. The “glass” itself includes layers of different materials, which can either have adhesion issues to each other or expand and contract at different rates with temperature changes. The glass is “glued” to the frame with an adhesive that puts the glass under tension. If there is too much tension because the glass was installed with too much force or the adhesive itself is defective, or if there is an issue with the layers in the glass, or if there is an extreme temperature change, or some combination of all of these then the glass can crack internally.
broncoGIRL21
broncoGIRL21
Good to know. I just tried, I cannot feel the crack on the outside. Thank you!
bkfit
bkfit
Chinese made windshield if that matters 🤷🏻‍♂️. My driver side mirror did the same as your windshield self cracking.
yeet
yeet
Mine chipped last week and I've seeing more and more stories of that happening. Seems common on Jeeps and other cars with vertical windshields
Reactions: broncoGIRL21
broncoGIRL21
broncoGIRL21
@yeet For sure. Our Jeep Wrangler is the same way. Was just crossing my fingers that it wouldn't happen this soon! Just finishing up month 3!
zgoods
zgoods
I got hit already too!
Berwolf
Berwolf
Mine cracked a couple months ago when washing it. Guessing there was a chip and when it got hit with warm water and was cold finally cracked. It's not that noticable so just living with it.
broncoGIRL21
broncoGIRL21
Got my windshield fixed and replaced a few weeks ago, after a 4-week wait. Today? Another chip going down I-75. No semis in sight, wasn't anywhere near the car in front of me. UGH. Going to try to wait it out until it spiders. Which, let's be honest, could be today. Insert eye roll!
AllthePonies
AllthePonies
It seems like everything is aerodynamically steered toward the windshield on the Bronco. I had bug guts all over the windshield recently; but nothing on the grille.
broncoGIRL21
broncoGIRL21
UPDATE: My chip spread across the whole windshield by the time I left work yesterday. And then I got ANOTHER chip on the way to work AGAIN this morning. I'm so annoyed. I can get it fixed for free based on my insurance, but this is getting ridiculous.
BroncoAW
BroncoAW
I have a crack as well seems to have come up from under the weather stripping, seems to be from outside but no chip. I have to take it in for oil and tire rotation this week and going to have them check it out while placing an order for a new windshield
Scout2
Scout2
I have decent chip in top right corner nothing to bug me yet but I did change my insurance to make the deductible lower due to all the postings about window replacements.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views