Sponsored

Michigan Bronco Club

Members from the Mitten and the U.P.
gjproducer
Any front window tint people out there? I remember growing up (a long time ago) Michigan police were super strict on front tinting the windows. Wondering if you all are, or if they eased up on that (law)?
Show full message
VelocityBronco
VelocityBronco
I plan on doing front door window tint, I assume you mean door windows and not actual front windscreen.
I see SO many vehicles with blackout tint on all doors. Maybe it depends on what part of the state you are in? Maybe everyone is getting medical slips for tinting?
gjproducer
gjproducer
Yea, sorry I was talking about front door window tint. I feel like I see it all the time around here, but also don't feel like getting a ticket or Dr. note either. Was just curious the general consensus.
VelocityBronco
VelocityBronco
Just like most everything else, some people will do it and love it, some people hate it and will talk bad about it...do what makes you happy and the possibility of a Fix-it ticket from a cop that feels like enforcing a dumb law. My experience, is that the tint just give a cop a reason to pull you over, and try to find something else to write you up for. If you are fine with this occasionally happening (maybe never) then go for it.

I am going with a lighter front tint, enough to get the benefits of tinting and the looks, but not enough to hinder viability or draw too much attention.
MontyMoose
MontyMoose
One of my co-workers just had his front windows done to match the rest of his vehicle, without a prescription, so I imagine it's eased up. That being said, I imagine it might be completely dependent on the officer that pulls you over... if they're an asshole, or just having a bad day (or based on your reaction to getting pulled over), they could easily tack it on to whatever offense they initially pulled you over for. Not sure if they'd pull you over just for that by itself though. YMMV.

From the Michigan State Police Traffic Laws FAQ page (https://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1586_27094-73839--,00.html#tinted):
TINTED WINDOWS

Question: Can I have tinted windows on my vehicle?

Answer: The law that covers window applications is . The use of tinting is limited to the rear side windows, the rear window if the vehicle has outside mirrors on both sides, and the top 4 inches of the front side windows. There is a limited exception for medical necessity with a doctor's prescription, which allows for tinting to be applied to the front side windows as well. Michigan does not have a specification for the darkness of the window application, but does prohibit applications with a solar reflectivity greater than 35%.

Question: If I have a signed letter by my doctor indicating a medical necessity for tinted windows can another person drive my vehicle if the windows are tinted?

Answer: Yes, provided the special window treatment or application has been determined by a physician or optometrist to be necessary for the protection of a person who is light sensitive or photosensitive, and the owner or operator of a motor vehicle is in possession of a letter signed by a physician or optometrist indicating that the special window treatment or application is a medical necessity as required by MCL 257.709(3)(e). However, the special window treatment or application shall not interfere with or obstruct the driver's clear vision of the highway or an intersecting highway.
KAPtain327
KAPtain327
Any good window tinters in metro detroit area someone could recommend?
KAPtain327
KAPtain327
Thanks

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views