Sponsored

Michigan Bronco Club

Members from the Mitten and the U.P.
Mattwings
Just a quick update/reminder. We are on for Saturday May 21st. 10:30 AM in the parking lot.

What you have to have to ride the trails-

- Vehicle
- Conforming Safety Flag
- MI ORV stickers.

Suggested to have (in addition to must haves)-

- GMRS/FRS Radio tuned to channel 7
- Air Gauge (that reads down to 10PSI). I will likely start at 20PSI, but 15psi is very common and often considered a safe pressure to keep your bead seated on the rim.
- Recovery Strap
- Shovel

There should be a good group, so lots of compressors, kinetic ropes, traction boards etc. to get the "more stuck" vehicles out, so don't worry about building a big kit specifically for this event.
Show full message
JakeC
JakeC
Looking forward to a great meet-up!
MontyMoose
MontyMoose
Are the handheld GMRS/FRS radios good enough for this or would you recommend the base unit ones? Not sure if I'm going to be too into off-roading so I'm not sure if I want to permanently mount something yet.
Mattwings
Mattwings
@MontyMoose The handhelds are completely adequate. You are not going to go through a dune with 50 watts by the same token .5 watts will cover most of the park at the top a dune. They are very line of sight. I should have a couple spares with me too. They are pretty basic, but work to hear and talk vehicle to vehicle.

If you spend about $70 (price is up about $15 in 3 mos) https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-GMRS-V...nics&sprefix=btech+gmrs,electronics,98&sr=1-4 you can get a bit more power and removeable antenna. That's a good upgrade/sweet spot from what I have tried and the research I have done. Permanently installed units can get the antenna a bit higher and a ground plane (neither is actually easy with the Bronco because of the MIC top) the hidden unit is easier to live with long term, because its always there. controls in the mic, doesn't flop round in the cab etc.
BroncoDr
BroncoDr
Man, I can predict when an event is going to happen by my call schedule. One of these days I’ll get out with you all.
JohnnyX
JohnnyX
Sorry that I'll miss this event... We've got a place just north of SLSD, and I've gone by the place hundreds of times over past 20 years without ever stopping... Had to check it out with my kid and the new Bronco a couple weeks ago... It was a spontaneous stop except that I had a portable air compressor with me... I was able to get the permit and flag right at the park. Flag and bracket was a little pricey, but heh... it was a sunny Friday and NO ONE was there. Had a blast... Take and post lots of pictures...

Attachments

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views