Sponsored

SoCal Broncos

Starting the conversation for past, present and future SoCal Bronco owners. Lets go!
Cruachan
Picking the right radio for overlanding?

Hello all. I've always thought I'd be installing a radio at some point, but when I started to research I found that there are quite a few options available. I'm old-school, so I still remember simple CB radios, but now we've got choices like GMRS, FRS, or like the recent post we've seen where a guy installed a HAM radio (not going to do that). Some require licenses (which seem easy to get). A good article breaking this down is here: https://expeditionvehicleoutfitters.com/blogs/news/the-guide-to-overlanding-communication-radios

Ultimately what I've learned is that you should install what your 4x4 friends are installing... kind of like how you might pick an Xbox over a Playstation (if you want to play multiplayer games with your friends, get the same box). So I called an experienced friend of mine and asked him what he uses, only to find that he's never thought about it.

So, I'm curious, if I'm out on the trails in SoCal, what might others have installed or thinking about installing? Might be an interesting thread :unsure:

Cheers...
Show full message
Reactions: Losy
Pseudoko
Pseudoko
Most people I go out with are using GMRS since getting a license is nothing more than paying a fee to the FCC. I'm probably just going to get a HAM license just for the hell of it for other reasons. But for offroading GMRS .... I have been eyeing the Midland MX575 but I am not in a huge rush to get it this moment.
SVCOFFROAD
SVCOFFROAD
Most of us coming from the raptor community will run a VHF setup from Rugged or PCI. There are a fair amount of people that run GMRS, but those are really only good for so much. Personally I run a HAM radio so I can capture all the bands and hit repeaters if needed for safety purposes.
Cruachan
Cruachan
Wow, two comments on HAM radios, I didn't expect that. Still interested to hear more opinions 👍
Pseudoko
Pseudoko
@Cruachan Yup I'd prefer HAM over GMRS but getting your friends to also get the license is another thing. All of my friends are too lazy or busy to study for the exam. GMRS you just pay the FCC and you are good for 10 years.
Dimitar
Dimitar
I use a handheld GMRS. It works well and if you have friends who’ve never been they just need an FRS which requires no license and runs on the same frequency band as GMRS. The only thing I don’t like about GMRS is there is no private communication.
Reactions: Cruachan
Cruachan
Cruachan
@Dimitar I also like the fact that GMRS covers FRS as well... even cheap handheld radios should work with that setup. So, you at least cover two configurations in one shot.
Neps
Neps
2M Ham
kccougar
kccougar
Just want to confirm since I'm clueless when it comes to radio communications, if I buy a GMRS unit like a Midlands, others who are just using basic walkie-talkies will be able to communicate with me, right?
kccougar
kccougar
Thank you.
Reactions: Pseudoko
Cruachan
Cruachan
@kccougar I think that is the strategy I'll follow too (GMRS). I don't believe I need 100+ mile capability, but rather, "talk to the truck behind me" capability. 😉

With that said, I've also got a Garmin InReach for emergencies.
JediMcMuffin
JediMcMuffin
I mounted a Yaesu HAM to the vehicle, mostly because that's what my crew was using, but also because it made sense to me for the vehicle itself to have that maximum transmit power for reaching repeaters. I did put the time in and created an index of repeaters across a large portion of SoCal and into Nevada. For wheeling I also carry in the Bronco a Baofeng UV-5R (my old primary) which can operate on both HAM and GMRS frequencies, and also a Wouxon GMRS only. Between the three I can enable a second vehicle very easily in a pinch. If I'm out with the usual crew, my Yaesu band A is running on our frequency, Band B is sending APRS beacons, the Baofeng is scanning the HAM calling frequencies, and the GMRS radio is scanning channels 16 and 19.
Bajaluv
Bajaluv
I went with the PCI radio, preprogrammed with every channel Baja racing.
BroncoJoerg
BroncoJoerg
I think that what you can see from your research and the comments on here there's a lot of different options, and different clubs/groups/people run different kinds of radios. I was just on one set of runs where the club used 2 meter Ham, then another where it was GMRS, I led a group recently where there was a mix of FRS and GMRS radios, and finally, I have a buddy who goes out with some folks that all have CB's still (yes, they are old and have been doing this a long time!). So, for me, I want the flexibility to talk on what ever the group I'm going out with have. Right now I have a BF-F8HP handheld. This has worked well for me since it was inexpensive and can work on 2 meter, GMRS, and FRS (i.e. it's a tri-band). I also have an old hand held CB somewhere that I can use as well, but I think that most folks are moving away from those anyway. The handheld has worked well for me when out with a group and I want to just be able to talk to the other trucks. However, it has significant distance limitations, so if your group gets too spread out, you might not be able to reach the last truck in line. So, I'm going to a more powerful setup soon just to get some more distance, and to be able to key up a repeater here and there. So, it all depends on what you want to do with the radio. If all your looking to do is talk with the other trucks while out 4-wheeling, a nice tri-band handheld should do the trick. If you want/need more, then a tri-band mobile would be what I would recommend.
Cruachan
Cruachan
I didn't think I'd consider trying to be "modular". By that I mean, don't go nuts with a custom setup, but rather allow for replacing what you have as your needs change over time. It isn't about picking a single setup really... start with something and be willing to adapt.

Cheers!
nikkgmm
nikkgmm
I installed a GMRS. Once I tuned my antenna I'm getting good range, especially with the repeaters in the area.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views