Sponsored

New England Broncos

Group for people in New England to talk, show off, and go off roading
JeepsR4kids
Can we do a role call of active members. Send your location. This will help plan our event for a group meet and ride to the mabell trail
Show full message
Nickmn28
Burlington, MA
BadlandBronco
BadlandBronco
Medway, MA
Richw23
Richw23
Chicopee, MA
jpotter68
jpotter68
Avon, MA
BroncoNation
BroncoNation
Lunenburg, MA
diablo0813
diablo0813
I’m curious if the owner of the other Bronco that was on my delivery truck is on here. If you had a Bronco delivered to Arundel Ford in southern Maine right around Christmas, are you in here?
ToddC22Raptor
Barrington, NH
Blackdimondma
Blackdimondma
Cape cod
GailBlackSmith
Bedford, MA
BLS
South Shore MA
Shotsy
Shotsy
Templeton, MA
Lowzee
Lowzee
Wilmington, MA
BostonSasquatch
1st Notice: Northampton MA group trail run 04/15 and-or 04/16 and-or 04-17, the "Ma Bell" Trail!

The "Ma Bell" is a true off-road trail, not a rough unimproved road, that was cut for a telephone pole line in Northampton, western Massachusetts. It's very New England: rough, irregular rocks and steps set in rock beds or strewn over dirt (or mud!) pathways. April 15-16 should give us good weather, and if there's enough interest, April 17 is a legal holiday in Massachusetts (Patriots Day). I've done it twice, solo, in my Badlands 4-Door Sasquatch without airing down, and rate this a "4" or (at most) a "5" on the Jeep scale. It's an excellent first experience for newbies who have done Off-Roadeo but not much else. And fun for everybody else.

A lifted truck with front & rear lockers and basic off-road tires should handle this okay, with a few challenge spots. Non-Sas trucks should participate if they 1) have challenging off-road experience, 2) true 4x4 with a (low) transfer case, 3) aggressive off-road tires, 4) a spotter who knows how to direct. Note that two Jeeps in video #2 are not lifted.

I'll be sending out group messages to New England Bronco members and others I've identified as geographically appropriate. The agenda: meet 10:00 AM at a convenience store two miles away, air down, and get organized (interspersing newbies and non-Sas trucks with more capable rigs, etc.) Bring or buy a box lunch, then run the trail. I'm allowing an absolute maximum of 15 trucks on each run: it's a little under a mile, and tight in a few places, and just so much room at the top. That will give us time to relax and get down, and maybe meet up for dinner somewhere in Northampton.

This 15-minute video will give you an overview:

If you're interested, this 50-minute shows more of the trail and three very different trucks handling it Note the amount of lift on the Jeeps. They attacked some of the rougher obstacles without using the workarounds:

I'm looking forward to meeting and wheeling with you!
Murph914
Murph914
I’m interested. I have a Badlands 2 door non sas with bfg ats. I’m on thr ne6g group too - Mike Murphy & ig as Killian offroading
slocobra03
slocobra03
There is a group of broncos also scheduled for this run on April 1st if anyone is interested, I can send the info.
slocobra03
slocobra03
Here is the info for the Ma bell trail on April 1st…. I’m planning to join the group as I haven’t run this trail yet.

Banfield Off road Adventures

Gen 6 Bronco run April 1 Mabell

Bronco rating: Blue *Sasquctach package min 33"tires!

Rocks, rock steps, slick rock, hills. One of the best 4wd runs in MA. Short but sweet! Drive in and you have to turn around and come back.
We plan to run some other roads near bye as well.

All Broncos must have Tow hooks or D rings!.
Recommended: one or more of the following combo’ a min 33” tire, lift,*locker ,Aftermarket axle diff covers. Don’t let that stop you from coming. If you get hung up we can use a tow strap.

From the North: Take Rt.2 West to Rt. 91 South to Exit 19 Rt.9 (Gas up)Take Rt. 9 West to Rt.66 West turn right on West farms Road this turns into Sylvester Rd
Meeting spot is on right side of road roughly 720 Sylvester,Rd Northampton ,MA.

From the south: Take Mass Pike Rt. 90 to Exit 4, Rt. 91 North to exit 18 Gas up here! Follow signs to byway of Rt’s 5 & 10 at Rt. 9 take left on Rt.66 West follow to and take right hand turn on West farms rd turns into Sylvester ,Rd.
Meeting spot is on right side of road roughly 720 Sylvester Rd. Northhampton ,MA

Meet at 9:00 Air down here and disconnect your sway bar.
Roll at 9:30 ,FRS radio channel 8

$10 Donation

Did you Gas up before you got to Rt. 66.? If not the last gas/store is on West Farms road a few miles from the meeting spot!

Please bring your lunch! See you there! frs Radio ch 8
Please do not post location’s online.
Combustion_King
Combustion_King
Haverhill
BostonSasquatch
That gas station is Jim's Variety and Convenience Store, 15 West Farms Road, Northampton. The "720 Sylvester Road" doesn't come up on some GPS locators, as there are no addresses or structures close by. A surefire way, which I clocked: Enter 15 West Farms Road (note spelling), onto your GPS, then proceed due north 1.8 miles. (Old Farms Road becomes Sylvester Road a hundred yards from the store.) You'll see a small parking turn-off on the right, a good place to air down and organize.

The local population is very protective of that territory--be very careful to tread lightly, and don't leave any litter or truck parts behind. Use the workarounds only when you have to, so as not to widen the trail. We don't want to find that the town has chained the trail off.

The actual top is a very small, flat pinnacle. When I got up there, I felt like a kitten in a tree: "Okay, getting up here was real neat, but what do I do now?" Going straight really called for 37's. I ended up U-turning back-and-forth in little increments, sort of like Austin Powers with the cargo truck in the hallway.
It's a great trail, excellent for newbies. I'm curious about how wheelers who have done Moab would rate it on the Moab/Jeep system. When you people get back, tell us what you think on a 1-10 scale.

Here's a short video. Note the clearance of the Grand Cherokee.

These guys are more aggressive, and take the harder obstacles straight-on. For example, note at 3:00 a gray pickup climbing a ledge and spining his tires something fierce---there's a workaround just off to his left.

There's an abundance of spotters, very helpful!
Combustion_King
Combustion_King
Do you need to pre register for the April 1st ride? Link?
Regland73
Manchester NH here.
Combustion_King
Combustion_King
Where’s the wheeling today in southern nh?
Jon_McCray101
Jon_McCray101
Topsham, ME here
Dadmented
Worcester, MA
Rick_DRZ
Camden, ME
GailBlackSmith
Bedford MA
GreenBadlands
GreenBadlands
Norwalk, CT