JeepsR4kids
Anyone install a catch can yet? If so which one did you choose
Show full message
RagnarKon
RagnarKon
Yes, I have the UPC catch can.
GreenBadlands
GreenBadlands
apologies for the novice question.....but what is the benefit of a catch can?
RagnarKon
RagnarKon
@GreenBadlands So engines have vents in them so the air pressure inside the engine crankcase doesn't get out of hand. On modern engines that crankcase vent recirculates that air back into the air intake—it's an emissions standard thing. That air that gets recirculated back into the intake is "dirty" air. Fuel and oil droplets get mixed in with that air and over time that fuel/oil in the recirculated air gunks up the intake system.

A catch can is design to catch that fuel/oil droplets and filter it out into a separate can. Every so often you can take that gunk and toss it out with used engine oil. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well usually.

Is it necessary?? No absolutely not. Ford obviously designed the engines to continue to function without an oil catch can—the 2.3L EcoBoost, for example, as an oil separator on the crankcase ventilation system that does effectively the same thing (though it too is not perfect). It is also possible to take apart and clean the intake system if it gets bad—walnut blasting is the usual approach.

BUT it's just an added handy thing to help keep the engine running smoothly beyond 100,000 miles.
decummins
decummins
@RagnarKon Had a catch can on my other car. worked well but found i had to empty it often. It also captured vapor.. and in the winter the contents of the catch would freeze overnight and cause pressure to build up in the engine... not good. So be warned ,, service it often. What I don't understand is why don't they have a ball valve in the bottom of the catch can that simply allows you to drain it more easily. seems like an obvious improvement.
JeepsR4kids
JeepsR4kids
Combustion_King
Combustion_King
I have the single one from Mishimoto, I have the 2.7l and i have short ride to work, 8 miles each way. I have collected condensate in mine, just after a short time so i am glad i got it for sure.
GreenBadlands
GreenBadlands
Thanks for the update! I will order one and install

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views