Sponsored

New England Broncos

Group for people in New England to talk, show off, and go off roading
JeepsR4kids
Has anyone had there factory wheels customized? I have been debating getting mine painted and powder coating the bead lock rings when I receive them.
Show full message
BostonSasquatch
Nope. I'm strictly a functional guy. I want to take care of my truck so she looks her best--I've even ordered removable stick-on body protection fabric panels--but I'm not going to decorate my rig. Did you see the thread about the NFL player who put pimp-like wheels on his Bronco? (Groan...) My wheels already have a few dings and scrapes on them from the trails. I'd be very upset if I had spent thousands on something fancy, only to get them marred.
A philosophical/psychological thought: You know how some women are just "into" shoes--the right shoe look is so very, very important? I believe that the male counterpart is wheels and tires. Some guys just gotta have the "right" look and are willing to go to very expensive lengths to get that.
Just give me rubber that performs the way I want it to!
View previous replies…
JeepsR4kids
JeepsR4kids
@BostonSasquatch you going on the Banfield Bronco run in Southern NH on the 30th
BostonSasquatch
@JeepsR4kids Yep! The customer service rep at mekmagnet.com said she'd try to prioritize my order, but no promises. Friday night: load my boards and recovery gear. Take off my RokBlokz & iAG steps, put a box lunch and thermos of iced coffee in the fridge.... psyched!
JeepsR4kids
JeepsR4kids
@BostonSasquatch cool I’ll see you there I’m head out there with my son. Unfortunately the removable armor is only for 4 door bronco’s and I have a 2 door. I already popped a body panel out of place and need to have it realigned. Been on some black trails and made it through. The wife was sweating more than I was going through. Always a good time.
gjptennis
gjptennis
I ditched the stock wheels and tires and went method 707s and 37x12.5 Wildpeak AT3W. I didn’t really like the Goodyears and the faux beadlock wheels weren’t for me

ill be here on the 30h as well. been out with Rich a few times. Just an FYI - If you’re worried about damage this is not the trail to do.
View previous replies…
gjptennis
gjptennis
@JeepsR4kids I have 4.7 gearing and cannot tell a difference at all going to 37s from the stock 35s.

And @BostonSasquatch - all of my geometry is where it should be. No unnecessary strain or extreme angles anywhere. I understand the physics (focus of my education was radiation physics). I have new coilovers (king) upper control arms (Camburg), tie rods (Icon), reinforcements in the steering rack (BroncBuster), and rear lower links (also Camburg). My lift is for performance as I did not buy this for parking lots.
BostonSasquatch
@gjptennis I could be interested in buying your old tie rods, to carry as a spare set. If they're surplus to your rig, bring them on the 30th.
gjptennis
gjptennis
@BostonSasquatch I’m keeping them for trail repairs myself so won’t be selling them unfortunately
BostonSasquatch
JeepsR4kids Increasing tire size involves engineering and geometry I'm not qualified to comment upon. I understand this much: a larger (and heavier) tire puts more strain on your tie rod, so you'll want to upgrade that. That, in turn, puts more strain on your steering box, which is now inadequate (Wildtrak Hoss 3.0 may be the exception--but check!). And what about your lift? One angle changed "here" means you've changed angles "there" and "there," too. So it's not just putting something bigger on for more traction.
I'm happy with the Sasquatch package as is: I think Ford has done a good job of working out the physics so the parts work reasonably harmoniously. Some people may want bigger just for the sake of "bigger," and others for hoped-for improved performance, but I figure all I have to do is air down and pay careful attention to my line of approach--and be willing to turn around if it's too much. Which hasn't happened yet!

PS: There are LOTS of threads on this matter. Lots!
jjcsr74
jjcsr74
I had my Rings powder coated two day after I picked it up at the dealer. They look great and have held up excellently.
tcraig808
tcraig808
How much did they charge you for the powered coating?

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views