Sponsored

The PNW Bronco Group

Group for Bronco owners (past, present & future) in the Pacific Northwest
robepa
My friend and I are doing a snow wheeling trip this upcoming weekend and wanted to open it up to Bronco6G peeps. We are meeting Saturday, Corrected (Dec 16) 10:00 AM outside the Naches Tavern in Greenwater and heading back Sunday. There is a spot with an amazing Rainier Mountain view we are hoping to get to (pic with the Tacoma, pre bronco rig) If you are interested in going but don't have snow wheeling experience that's not a problem as long as your willing to listen and learn.

I have been snow wheeling for a few years now and have ~15-20 trips experience. I have never had an issue with getting unrecoverably stuck . I go out equipped: multiple vehicles, winch, snatch blocks, extra winch line, traction boards, hard and soft shackles, tree savers, shovels, lots of warm gear, multiple sleeping bags, good clothing, satellite coms, etc.

Things you need to have
  • Min tire size of 33" tires, 35" recommended, Sasquatch height or higher.
  • Willing to air down to 6-10 PSI. I have personally ran the stock Sasquatch wheel and tire combo at 6-8 psi in the snow. If your not comfortable getting into the single digits in the snow then it may be a really difficult trip. You do have to be aware of how you drive even in soft snow at this pressures, you may even have to reseat a bead or switch to a spare. It is really hard to understate how important really low pressures are in the snow!
  • A shovel.
  • Good attitude, the trip may contain type 2 fun! We will get stuck, have to dig, winch, etc. and we will get out! The good and bad of snow wheeling is you can almost always dig your way out with enough work. If anyone gets stuck or breaks we are all in this to get them recovered and back on the way.
  • Good clothing, gloves, boots, sleeping bag(s) etc. I am often in the cold but rarely cold. Layers are essential, you can literally be in tee shirt in the sun one minute and wearing everything you have not long after.
  • A good tow strap (preferably dynamic but not essential) and shackles.
Things that are helpful but you don't need
  • A GMRS radio
  • A winch
  • Bead lock or bead grip rims
  • Traction boards
  • Lockers: Broncos sand mode works really well in the snow
  • Satellite communicator
1702317892138.png

1702317956450.png

1702318014691.png

1702318074361.png
Show full message
swooshdave
swooshdave
Looks awesome. 4 hour drive just to get to Greenwater from Portland so that's a tough one. Hoping to do some snow wheeling around Mt. Hood soon.
CptSamFalcon
CptSamFalcon
May be interested. Done a bit of snow wheeling myself and pulled a few people out of the snow. I'm on the sasquatch tires that I swapped onto my Black Diamond - meaning I also have a rear locker.

12k winch (synth), kinetic rope, soft shackles, snatch block (I switched over to one of those ring/soft shackle combos in my mission to get as much metal out of my kit as possible). Traction boards.

Aside; I bring a bottle jack and a little extension which works ok but what do others use for jacking up? A feel like theres nowhere good to use a hi lift on our trucks.
Acadist
Acadist
Sounds like big fun! Have to work Saturday though
Reactions: robepa
robepa
robepa
One of my friends is coming out Sunday morning, if your interested in a day trip that works as well.
Reactions: ezapar
ezapar
ezapar
@robepa I'll look into the timing. If I can make it, I'll just go for Saturday. Betting I can talk a couple of the members in our little fb group into following me up and back out so I won't be leaving by myself if conditions are rough.
robepa
robepa
@ezapar It would be great if you can make it! Also if you have an inreach or other satellite coms you could send me a message on my inreach if you got stuck on the way out. With other people coming out Sunday AM we are considering camping at someplace like Ranger Creek also.
ezapar
ezapar
@robepa It's unwise to be by yourself I suppose. I have what I need to recover myself, but still. I'll ask around.
ezapar
ezapar
I just reread the original post. Did you mean December 16? I was all set to plan for January. doh.
robepa
robepa
Color me embarrassed, Yes Dec 16 not Jan 16. It was a great trip!
PXL_20231217_003344387.jpg
PXL_20231216_192525045.jpg
PXL_20231217_194528300.jpg
PXL_20231217_195659082.jpg

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events