Sponsored

The Broncos of Virginia(s)

A more localized group for Virginia and West Virginia!
knownhuman
Trail Meetup - Saturday Aug 20th

Hey everyone, I'm looking to drive Unionsprings Road to Flagpole Knob on Saturday, Aug 20, and wanted to extend the offer to the club since these things are more fun (and safer!) with friends.

The rough location is near Dayton, VA (just west of Harrisonburg). I've attempted this once before but turned around due to a torrential downpour.

This is considered a decent trail, but my wheeling buddy manages it in his slightly modified Jeep Renegade.

Lemme know if you're interested, would be awesome to get a good Bronco group photo at the summit and come up with a sweet post like this one.

Videos of the trail here:

Show full message
scrumsfeld
scrumsfeld
Ive got a 4dr badlands Manual trans that I just took delivery of. Definitely looking forward to trying out our local trails. Count me in, I'll be coming from NoVA.
View previous replies…
knownhuman
knownhuman
knownhuman
knownhuman
@scrumsfeld 2-3 hours seems right. Of note, there's a a paved road pretty near the summit.
scrumsfeld
scrumsfeld
@knownhuman cool, that means I could do a down-and-back if we meet as late as mid-day, or even opt to camp if I feel like hanging out and getting away for a while. I'll hold on that decision until we can see what the weather will be like but for now count me in for the trail ride. I'll stay tuned for meet times and other logistics. I expect I81 south will suck that day but I can leave early to mitigate that as needed.
Vtfakie
I'm interested as well, but can't commit yet. I'll be dropping my daughter off at JMU the day before, so I'll already be close.
76OrangeCrateJr.
76OrangeCrateJr.
Definitely want to try to join you guys on this or a future run to test out my manual Badlands as well, but things are pretty crazy this coming month. I'll see what's going on and keep watching this group to try to jump in sometime.
scrumsfeld
scrumsfeld
I’m bringing a buddy to ride shotgun. Do you guys have radios you like? I’m thinking of grabbing this midland set.

Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio - Long Range Walkie Talkie with 142 Privacy Codes, SOS Siren, and NOAA Weather Alerts and Weather Scan (Black/Silver, Pair Pack) https://a.co/d/ilvQCdi
knownhuman
knownhuman
@scrumsfeld I haven't picked up radios yet. I have no problem grabbing those.
terp_ag@
terp_ag@
I am very interested. I might even be able to round up a few more people.
knownhuman
knownhuman
There's a chance my buddy and his Renegade will join us for some non-Bronco representation.
scrumsfeld
scrumsfeld
Nice thatd be chill if he or Terp or Ham or whoever else can make it. I snagged a pair of those radios, not a bad deal and I can loan one out.
terp_ag@
terp_ag@
can you send a meetup location and time for August 20? Also, what radios are you using? I am thinking about getting one and want to get some guidance.
scrumsfeld
scrumsfeld
For sure. We haven’t settled on a pinpoint meet spot or time yet but we will be sure to post it. I think weather will play a factor in what time we look to start but I’m flexible somewhat. The radios I got are linked at the end of that post above.
scrumsfeld
scrumsfeld
Also worth noting I think any frs/gmrs radios will work for us. Pick out any kind you like. I think frs could be easier for us to start off with and won’t require the license since we will be pretty close together.
scrumsfeld
scrumsfeld
I took my bronco on some horse trails on some land in Charles city over the weekend and it really impressed me. Handled some really steep climbs with relative ease in crawl gear. Flagpole is gonna be a lot of fun
knownhuman
knownhuman
Jim, friend with the Renegade, is in for the trip. So we’re going to grab a cabin. Will share a meetup point as we get closer.
scrumsfeld
scrumsfeld
nice! whats the low-down on cabins, are there some close by? I was planning to bring a tent and camp if the weather's decent.
Sunny
Sunny
Hello Broncos of Virginia. I'm a brand new member and this is my first post. I'm planning on ordering a 2023 Badlands as soon as I'm able and I have been obsessed about getting info. on these beasts so I'll know how to spec mine. I read this thread about the meetup and although I presently do not have a Bronco or other vehicle that I trust on this trail I'd still like to go so If anyone has a spare seat and wouldn't mind some company please let me know. I'm happy to contribute in any way possible, gas money etc...
knownhuman
knownhuman
We're under 2 weeks out and I'm pretty stoked.

I've got a cabin booked with some friends that's right off Union Springs Road and will DM out the location on Friday the 19th so we can use it for a meetup.

If you're a definite, please comment or react to this so I can include you on the DM list.
Reactions: Hamhands
scrumsfeld
scrumsfeld
@knownhuman I’m definite as well. I’ll have an air compressor, traction boards and tow straps / ropes in case anyone wants to get muddy.
terp_ag@
terp_ag@
I am definitely going to be there. Looking forward to it.
Hamhands
Hamhands
scrumsfeld
scrumsfeld
I had some plans come together for sunday that make it kinda tough to camp overnight and be back home in time, so I'll just be coming for the trail drive. I'd prefer a mid to late morning start but I'm somewhat flexible. Weather says scattered showers which shouldnt prevent us from getting up the trail from the videos I've seen online.
pequigah
pequigah
Dang. Wish I would've seen this before today. I just got my BL SAS a few weeks ago and live nearby in Bridgewater. It's been a pavement princess so far but next time you all are in my area, that'll have to change.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views