Sponsored

Midwest Bronco Bros & Sis

I did not see a MN or surrounding states so started this club! All are welcome, main focus on Ford Broncos and anything related!
MrBud
UPDATE:

Photos and video below 👇
(Show full Message)
  • Successfully scouted 198 miles of USFS Roads
  • 11 hours of driving over 2 days
  • Backtracked 7 times
  • 2.5 hours stuck in mud
  • Route adjustments made on the Gaia link
If you are looking for a good back road leaf peeping trip, this one is for you. Follow the route and watch for moose and grouse!

I recommend stopping by a USFS location and getting a Toimi/Isabella map that covers the majority of this area.

C360B886-E1D2-423D-A280-222890E3F234.jpeg

E9491FEB-90E5-4D27-A114-E804DC3F030D.jpeg

749153E2-A9FF-40A4-ABBC-DF11A347434E.jpeg

7B1415A4-8575-4906-A39B-EF0A815E0D39.jpeg

9519C1C7-82BD-4422-8A84-87BAB4C59942.jpeg

8AE9C251-1BDD-4C92-9EE2-8071ADD4E999.jpeg

2EF881CC-078D-4693-88AF-5F2F78182D32.jpeg

417FD04A-4657-4DA7-8C03-54494458B736.jpeg

——————

Would anyone from Minnesota or Wisconsin be interested in helping me scout out an overlanding route from Melrude (off highway 53 north of Duluth) to Grand Marais? This is an alternative route from the proposed Border to Border Touring Route, which IMO is just dirt road driving. I’m hesitant to do this solo so let me know if you’re interested in coming along.

My goal is to minimize pavement miles, maximizing mud and ruts, check out primitive campsites and do a little exploring.

This is easily a 2 day drive with over 200 miles of forestry roads I’d like to investigate. The final route should be around 150 miles. It could be a good route for us to use in the future for meetups and group rides once we figure it out.

Updates:
Scheduled for Sept. 24-25
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/group-events/northeast-minnesota-overland-scout-route.39/

Link to current route:
https://www.gaiagps.com/public/57QncdGU2qKM3ntwyD56wkNW
Show full message
Julz670
Julz670
That sounds awesome! Wish i could help but i wont have time until october =/
MrBud
MrBud
@Julz670 That may work for me if I no one else is interested in going earlier than that
Julz670
Julz670
@MrBud i'll hit you up in late sept if i dont see that you've gone already, sounds like a fun trip!
Reactions: MrBud
MrBud
MrBud
@Julz670 first and last weekends of October are open for me
MrBud
MrBud
@Tdub0527 I saw your post in this group about doing some casual off roading. Are interested in coming along on this ride in October?
Reactions: Tdub0527
View previous replies…
Tdub0527
Tdub0527
@MrBud I am interested! I’ve gotten slammed with work recently and haven’t had a chance to take a good look at this yet. Let me browse it over this weekend. Sounds like a 2-3 day trip with primitive camping. Did I interpret that right?
MrBud
MrBud
@Tdub0527 I think the full route itself could be done in 2 days. Probably safe to leave an extra day for hanging out in Grand Marais and driving home.

We cross Highway 1 about halfway through if anyone wants to jump in there on the second day or leave early.
JayFlyer
JayFlyer
@MrBud I'm interested in anything being planned
MrBud
MrBud

I’m still working out the final route but I know a good portion of the “roads” on this trip will look a lot like this.
MrBud
MrBud
@ramiref interested in joining us for this ride in October?
ramiref
@MrBud I would have you know closer to the time but definitely interested in it.
MPLS Bronco Fan
MPLS Bronco Fan
Also interested once the date is firmed up! Possibly planning a weekend in/near Duluth in the fall so could meet up for one or part of the day if it falls at the same time.
MrBud
MrBud
I’m looking into scheduling this for Friday afternoon to Sunday, September 23-25 or just Saturday and Sunday depending on availability.

Let me know if you can make that work so we can lock it in.
Julz670
Julz670
I wouldn't be able to make it Friday Sept 23, but I could maybe meet up on Saturday and ride along through Sunday. Otherwise, I could for sure do Sept 30-Oct 2, or really any Fri-Sun in October. If others are available Sept 23-25, don't hold up any plans for me, I'm sure there will be other meet-ups
MrBud
MrBud
I’m locking in the dates for September 24-25

Plan on provisions for one night at a rustic camp (RTT or ground tent, food, water, etc.)

I have a couple of extra GMRS radios available for the trip. We’re going to be on CH 16 if you are bringing your own.
Julz670
Julz670
Sounds great! Count me in!
@dejones64 have you seen this? Interested?
dejones64
dejones64
@Julz670 Ok yea, it's on my calendar. So far I have that weekend free. Ground tent since I don't have my rtt yet. Cool thanks.
dejones64
dejones64
Hit a deer tonight... Can't imagine it'll will be fixed by then. Runs fine, just ugly, and the drivers door won't open. Dammit...

Attachments

dejones64
dejones64
Thanks. Yea so frustrating. Can’t imagine parts are readily available, sucks I’ll probably miss the outing in a few weeks. O
MrBud
MrBud
@dejones64 sorry to hear about your Bronco. I was really looking forward to seeing yours there, it’s almost exactly what I wanted if i had been bumped to a 2022 model.

Let us know how it goes, interested in hearing how available parts are. Also hoping for a speedy repair!
MrBud
MrBud
dejones64
dejones64
@MrBud Estimate from auto body place $10K. Parts are ordered and waiting for the fender. Luckily it's still drivable. I put in a diy headlight (fog light) to get by, and put on ditch lights and other lights on the bumper to light up the night.
Tdub0527
Tdub0527
@MrBud Sorry I haven't gotten back to you and this group, I've been crazy busy! This trip sounds like a lot of fun and I would love to go. I am going to use the weekend to head to Michigan to see the Gophers play Michigan State. I'm trying to visit every B1G stadium and this is a good chance to cross this one off the list. Would love to hear about the trip when you all are done with it. Good luck!
Tdub0527
Tdub0527
Have fun this weekend! Share some picture when you guys return.
MrBud
MrBud
Photos and video are up.. we’re going to be doing this one again for sure!
Reactions: JayFlyer
View previous replies…
MrBud
MrBud
@dejones64 I also removed the crazy muddy section from the revised route. If anyone wants to go beat the crap out of their Bronco just let me know so I can point them in that direction.
dejones64
dejones64
@MrBud link or what kind of portable winch?
MrBud
MrBud
@dejones64 Badlands 5500 on a hitch mount… worked like a charm. Had to size down a little to fit it under the spare tire.
Tdub0527
Tdub0527
That looks like a blast! Glad you had a good time. Also sorry I couldn’t make it.
JayFlyer
JayFlyer
I'm interested
wsteward
wsteward
We've got a place in Tofte. Any portions of your run near Tofte you'd recommend for just a day trip? 1-2hr ride?
Reactions: Tdub0527
MrBud
MrBud
@wsteward that’s the best area! From there you have good access to the Timber Frear loop (FR 348) and Pancore Lake (FR 338) which was my favorite part of the trip. DM me if you want me to send you a route from Tofte to Grand Marais.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views