Sponsored

4x4 or 4x2?

paradizecityz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tundra
I've always thought trucks should all be 4x4 but then again, I never use it when I have it. Should I just save money and get 4x2? Also, is there more "maintenance" with 4x4?
Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
If you never use it, never will use it, and don't have the climate need for it I'd say save yourself those couple bucks, although I don't know how 4x4 vs 4x2 holds their value, I'd imagine 4x4 will be more sought out during trade in.

Just food for thought though, that one time in the 15 years you'll own your truck that you'll need that 4x4 for whatever reason, you'll probably kick yourself a little lol

Everytime someone asks the question I go "what are they crazy?!?! They need 4x4!!" And then remember not everyone lives in the same hell hole cold climate, crappy winter roads, city that I do lol.

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
When it comes to 4WD, I’m of the mindset that I’d rather have it and never use it, than need it and not have it. I’ve owned several 4WD and AWD vehicles over the years. Yes, there’s more maintenance (e.g., transfer case and front diff fluid, front CV axle shafts, etc.), but it’s really not much in the grand scheme of things. With more weight and mechanical drag, 4WD vehicles typically lose 1-2 MPG vs 2WD, but it’s a trade off I’m willing to accept. And of course, 4WD adds more components and cost. One other consideration is tire type and tread depth. With 2WD, you could replace two tires at a time (on the same axle), but with 4WD, you really should replace all four at once with the same type of tire. My Subaru has AWD, so when one of its tires sustained a sidewall puncture and couldn’t be repaired, I had to replace all four tires, as the tread variance cannot exceed 2/32” (if you’re lucky, the shop can find a used tire with a tread depth and style that closely matches the other three).

In the end, only you can decide if having 4WD is worth the trade offs.

OP
OP

paradizecityz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tundra
When it comes to 4WD, I’m of the mindset that I’d rather have it and never use it, than need it and not have it. I’ve owned several 4WD and AWD vehicles over the years. Yes, there’s more maintenance (e.g., transfer case and front diff fluid, front CV axle shafts, etc.), but it’s really not much in the grand scheme of things. With more weight and mechanical drag, 4WD vehicles typically lose 1-2 MPG vs 2WD, but it’s a trade off I’m willing to accept. And of course, 4WD adds more components and cost. One other consideration is tire type and tread depth. With 2WD, you could replace two tires at a time (on the same axle), but with 4WD, you really should replace all four at once with the same type of tire. My Subaru has AWD, so when one of its tires sustained a sidewall puncture and couldn’t be repaired, I had to replace all four tires, as the tread variance cannot exceed 2/32” (if you’re lucky, the shop can find a used tire with a tread depth and style that closely matches the other three).

In the end, only you can decide if having 4WD is worth the trade offs.

That was the same mindset I had, I rather have it and never use it. I had a 2017 Tacoma that was 4x2 and I got stuck in the sand and ever since then, I've gotten 4x4 but I've actually used it once? I don't go off roading, just drive onto the sand when I go to local beach here and I live in Houston so we don't get snow or anything like that. Just seeing people's opinion and trying to decide to save a few thousand $$$ or not lol. Thanks!

MPGunther

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma Sport
I own a 4x2 Sport and you would be surprised how capable that drive train is. Now I don't go on any aggressive rock crawling or mudding but I've been on some forest roads that had some bad ruts and mud puddles and had no issues plowing through. Finally, know your capabilities

stokes32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My last truck was a Ram 1500 4x2. I live in Southern California and thought I wouldn't need 4-wheel drive. After getting stuck 2 times within the first couple of years I swore I would never buy 2-wheel drive again. You would be surprised how easily a truck can get stuck. Probably because of the light back end.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The price is negligible, 4x4 holds much better value, and you’ll be kicking yourself if you ever need it.

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
As many others have mentioned, it all depends on what you do, and where you live. I’m not sure why they sell two wheel drive trucks in Alaska where I live. They are just this side of useless, and sometimes a complete menace in the winter.

TacoJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
I've always thought trucks should all be 4x4 but then again, I never use it when I have it. Should I just save money and get 4x2? Also, is there more "maintenance" with 4x4?
I live in Florida and at first thought "ordered" a 4X2 in order to spend the difference on the sport upgrade package and the 14" screen and moon roof.
I ended up cancelling the deal down here and through Jim (the broker that's on this forum) was able to get a 4X4 TRD Sport with the same upgrades for LESS money.
I bought the truck from a dealership in Pennsylvania and had it shipped down. Even after all of that, I still saved money AND got 4X4!
Apparently Florida dealers Mark up there 4WD trucks and according to the salesman, nobody would buy a 2wd in PA, so there's no markup (and no unwanted options or "factory" add-ons). Also paperwork fees are less up there also.
Shop around, even in other states and you could save or at least get a 4wd for the same cost.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
While part time 4WD might not offer much value if you never have a need for it, we are starting to get full time 4WD options. Though only on the limited hybrid for now. I'm actually planning to target either a Tacoma or 4Runner that has FT 4WD for the on-road safety.

The only real difference between it and the standard part time 4x4 is that it has a center differential to allow power transitioning between the front and the back. It still has a transfer case for low gear and the center diff locks. So you have 4 high open center diff, 4 high locked center diff, and 4 low locked center diff. Effectively the same as traditional 4x4.

The sad element is there is no way to get both full time 4WD and off road features like the locking rear diff, crawl control, MTS, MTM, and sway bar disconnect.

Last edited:

Overlander

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
The idea that spending extra for the 4WD is worth it for the resale value is a common trope but the numbers don't back it up. Look at values for used trucks. The older the truck the smaller the incremental value for the 4WD feature.

In other words, that 'investment' depreciates. Now maybe that depreciation *might* be less in percentage terms (or not!) than the depreciation for the rest of the truck, but still, it depreciates. Look at the Kelly Blue Book and see what I mean.

For example, I took a 2023 double cab shortbed V6 SR5 through the calculator at kbb.com and got a 4WD premium of $2963. For a 2018 the 4WD premium for the same build came out at $1957. (Your numbers may vary a bit depending on zip code, etc.) That's a 1/3 depreciation in 5 years.

In other words, get 4WD if it's justified on its own merits for your situation, not to save money.
Sponsored