Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here in the DFW area, we have one OHV park within a couple hours: Northwest OHV. The town of Bridgeport took over a rock quarry at some point and created the OHV park I believe in 2017, allowing day access on Saturdays and Sundays.

On the trip last Sunday, we had @EddieN, @rotorwrench and his wife Tracy, and @New2This (for the first part). We had done Minos Loop before, and I had done it several times recently, so this time we were going to explore more of the blues in the rest (bottom 3/4's) of the park.

Here is a playlist of YouTube videos of the trip.

Video 0 is a short but (for me) very difficult stunt I did where I almost got body damage. Thanks to Eddie and Derek for the spotting and Derek for getting the action videos. It was great!

I did manage to be in Baja mode nearly the whole way while doing that stunt, since I forgot to go to neutral and didn't figure that out until late. The video cuts off but I did make it through. I tried Baja for most of that day, but I'm watching the videos and I'm herking and jerking around, so back to rock crawl. Baja is nice, though, when you're just cruising around in the dirt.

Except for the videos through the little divot, most of these were reasonably pitched up a hill. I know we did a lot of scrambling up and down slippery hills. The videos may look like it's flat, but watch how we walk. They were like climbing stairs with little gravel pieces everywhere underfoot.

I managed to not take any photos for the first time on this trip, so the following photos are courtesy of Eddie and Tracy.

Overall, we had a great time, I did probably the most stressful obstacle I've done yet (and survived with only some scrapes on my rail), and it was fun getting the gang together again. Enjoy!

Ford Bronco A day at Bridgeport's Northwest OHV 10-22-2023 20231022_093105
Ford Bronco A day at Bridgeport's Northwest OHV 10-22-2023 20231022_093154
Ford Bronco A day at Bridgeport's Northwest OHV 10-22-2023 20231022_110124
Ford Bronco A day at Bridgeport's Northwest OHV 10-22-2023 20231022_120554
Ford Bronco A day at Bridgeport's Northwest OHV 10-22-2023 20231022_120744
Ford Bronco A day at Bridgeport's Northwest OHV 10-22-2023 20231022_122941
Ford Bronco A day at Bridgeport's Northwest OHV 10-22-2023 20231022_135311
Ford Bronco A day at Bridgeport's Northwest OHV 10-22-2023 IMG_1959
Ford Bronco A day at Bridgeport's Northwest OHV 10-22-2023 IMG_1960
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good call going out there last weekend. I bet that place is underwater today. I will give it a few weeks to dry out and try to get up there (or maybe Hidden Falls) around Thanksgiving.

EddieN

Badlands
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's going to be a swamp this weekend.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You couldn't pay me to go out there this weekend. Eddie and I were out there earlier this year when it was a pond, the muck sucks.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Watching that video, I don't know how I didn't break a tie rod when that rock rolled. Wow!

Sponsored

Phil B

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was out there on a blue Polaris ATV and saw you. It was a scouting trip for me, wanted to see the place before I brought my Bronco out. There are skidplates in my future now. The dust was bad!

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was out there on a blue Polaris ATV and saw you. It was a scouting trip for me, wanted to see the place before I brought my Bronco out. There are skidplates in my future now. The dust was bad!
Was it a four door full of people? Did we talk to y'all a couple times?

Phil B

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Was it a four door full of people? Did we talk to y'all a couple times?
No, I was on an old school single seat Sportsman with a buddy driving a Yamaha sxs. (My friend in the picture)

IMG_1744.jpeg

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, I was on an old school single seat Sportsman with a buddy driving a Yamaha sxs. (My friend in the picture)

Ford Bronco A day at Bridgeport's Northwest OHV 10-22-2023 IMG_1744
Oh right, a Polaris... My brother used to have one like that. Hope y'all had fun! It was a nice day.

There's some easy stuff out at Northwest, but I hear people all the time talking about accidentally getting on a yellow or red trail. They're sneaky since the maps aren't great and OnX has the trails, but don't really differentiate the difficulty. The paper map they hand out is several years old, and the one online is even older.

I would suggest some frame mounted sliders and full belly plates. I see you have a WildTrak, which has some plates but not all. I've used most of plates out there for sure, and now I've used the Trail Armor rails!

You've maybe already investigated, but Ford doesn't offer a transmission plate. I'll be getting the RCI steel plate and eventually probably their frame mounted rock sliders.

Sponsored

Phil B

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah, I’m aware of the plastic transmission pan. I could see a rock flipping up on flat ground and causing damage there. Not sure what Ford was thinking. I’d be happy to get second hand bash plates from someone who upgraded and add a tranny plate. If my old Toyota didn’t have open differentials, I’d have it out there in a heartbeat. It’s already all beat up.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I’m aware of the plastic transmission pan. I could see a rock flipping up on flat ground and causing damage there. Not sure what Ford was thinking. I’d be happy to get second hand bash plates from someone who upgraded and add a tranny plate. If my old Toyota didn’t have open differentials, I’d have it out there in a heartbeat. It’s already all beat up.
You got a winch, go for it. Just add a little speed...

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you need motivation (lol), Snail Trail 4x4 is a cool podcast that mostly talks about old Toyota's off roading. They do talk about their wives' Broncos (lol x2) but I like listening anyway.

https://www.snailtrail4x4.com/snail-trail-4x4-podcast/
Sponsored