aeolian

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm debating between getting an Alta Rack or VelociRAX rack to use to carry 4 bikes. If you've used either on your Bronco: Does it clear the spare wheel without a swing arm or extension? If yes, can you open the rear door with the rack on?

The Alta Rack looks to be particularly problematic in terms of clearing the spare, if this picture is anything to go by: https://www.twowheelingtots.com/velocirax-bike-rack-review/#h-velocirax-vs-alta-rack

Of course, using a swing arm or extension is an option, but I'm concerned about the leverage exceeding the 350 lb max tongue weight. In particular, the specs for VelociRAX say:

HITCH REQUIREMENTS
- 2" (50mm) Class III hitch with tongue capacity of 500 lbs
- 3 3/8 inch (86mm) depth past center of hitch pin hole to insert a VelociRAX
** Note - Check factory OEM hitch receivers on newer Subaru CrossTrek and Outback and Ford Ranger as they may lack sufficient depth on the factory hitch receiver.

Update:, I see it is possible to access the rear of the Bronco with the VelociRAX if you install the hitch extender.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tugger5oh

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Deciding between these two setups in a 5 bike version. Thought about a swingaway hitch but fully loaded I have two ebike, one enduro, and two kids bikes

OP
OP

aeolian

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with the Velocirax with the hitch extension. Works well for me. It’s not quite as convenient as a swing arm, but it keeps the rack closer to the car.
Sponsored