First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco outer banks 2022, volkswagon jetta SEL
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm looking for insight on the amp research powersteps, specifically the "extreme" version. Has anyone installed these on their bronco? I have a 4dr obx, and the motor on the driver front side is making contact with the side step before the rear does when retracting. Has anyone had similar issues?

20230512_235310.jpg
Sponsored

Kevin2022

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Fetus1987

I have the same problem with my extreme steps. I have not had any luck dealing with Amp Research.

I have been waiting on a solution for 2 months.

Have you had any luck since this post?

Kevin

PXL_20230330_211056672.jpg

OP
OP

Fetus1987

Outer Banks
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fetus1987

I have the same problem with my extreme steps. I have not had any luck dealing with Amp Research.

I have been waiting on a solution for 2 months.

Have you had any luck since this post?

Kevin

PXL_20230330_211056672.jpg
Honestly, I think it's a design flaw. I emailed amp research and they had me jump through a few hoops sending them videos and pictures and they opened up and filed a warranty claim for a new front linkage arm.

I was confused cause I didn't write to them to file a warranty claim, I just wanted to know if I got a wrong part, or if it was installed wrong. They didn't tell me any information to answer any of those questions. Instead they just approved a warranty claim for a new linkage arm.

So I asked them, ok so now what do I do? And they said I have to wait for them to make and ship me a new linkage arm. They said they couldn't give me an exact date as to when I will receive it, because they're behind on orders and blah blah blah, but that I'm supposedly first in line to get a new one as soon as possible.

So I put everything back together and I'm running it like that for now. It works.. it just doesn't look pretty. I'm hoping nothing breaks or messes up from it being tweaked like that. If you figure anything else out, please let me know!

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Kevin2022

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Honestly, I think it's a design flaw. I emailed amp research and they had me jump through a few hoops sending them videos and pictures and they opened up and filed a warranty claim for a new front linkage arm.

I was confused cause I didn't write to them to file a warranty claim, I just wanted to know if I got a wrong part, or if it was installed wrong. They didn't tell me any information to answer any of those questions. Instead they just approved a warranty claim for a new linkage arm.

So I asked them, ok so now what do I do? And they said I have to wait for them to make and ship me a new linkage arm. They said they couldn't give me an exact date as to when I will receive it, because they're behind on orders and blah blah blah, but that I'm supposedly first in line to get a new one as soon as possible.

So I put everything back together and I'm running it like that for now. It works.. it just doesn't look pretty. I'm hoping nothing breaks or messes up from it being tweaked like that. If you figure anything else out, please let me know!
Yes it is a design flaw. I spent several hours with them doing the same thing. That motor mount on the driver's front was designed wrong. The motor mount is 180 degrees off. The picture I posted was sent to Amp Research 2 months ago. While I was on the phone with them. They know about the problem. With that mount built like it is also keeps the support arm from sitting flush to the mounting location. Luckily that mount was the first one I tried to install. Once I determined the problem I stopped installing and contacted them. I have not heard a word. They must be manufacturing the correct part. Or hoping we will all just go away. If anyone gets the replacement correct part or steps that have the correct part from the beginning please post so we will know that Amp Research is actually working on the flaw. And not just hoping we will go away!!! I really want these steps or I would have returned them 2 months ago!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Fetus1987

Outer Banks
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dude, I ran all the wiring and installed the passengers side first. The drivers side was pretty much the last thing I needed to do. I thought it looked wrong when I first installed it but everything looked just like the instructions so I kept on going. I'm running them like that now and when they correct that linkage and motor mount I'll pop the old one out and put the new one in and be done. I waited like 4 months to get these steps so I'm just gonna run it and they'll just have to fix if anything breaks.

Kevin2022

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Fetus1987,
I would have done the same thing if I had started on the passenger side. I agree the photos in the instructions clearly shows the part as it is built. But they obviously did not actually test this extreme set on an actual Bronco. I have been told the single motor sets work fine. It is only the dual motor extreme units that have this problem. Hopefully they have a solution soon. Please let us know if your replacement part arrives. I will do the same if mine arrives. I understand sometimes with new products issues come up. What bothers me is their lack of concern and communication. They seem to forget we spent a couple of thousand of our money on these and all we want is a properly functioning step. Best of luck and I hope your steps hold out until the new parts arrive.

OP
OP

Fetus1987

Outer Banks
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fetus1987,
I would have done the same thing if I had started on the passenger side. I agree the photos in the instructions clearly shows the part as it is built. But they obviously did not actually test this extreme set on an actual Bronco. I have been told the single motor sets work fine. It is only the dual motor extreme units that have this problem. Hopefully they have a solution soon. Please let us know if your replacement part arrives. I will do the same if mine arrives. I understand sometimes with new products issues come up. What bothers me is their lack of concern and communication. They seem to forget we spent a couple of thousand of our money on these and all we want is a properly functioning step. Best of luck and I hope your steps hold out until the new parts arrive.
Thanks kevin2022,
I will for sure let you know if i get the part delivered. For now, just in case you're curious, here's a video of my driver side steps deploying and retracting with everything installed.

Kevin2022

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Fetus1987

You won't believe what showed up in the mail today!!

Hopefully your should be there soon.

Best of luck.

PXL_20230605_173754796.jpg

OP
OP

Fetus1987

Outer Banks
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fetus1987

You won't believe what showed up in the mail today!!

Hopefully your should be there soon.

Best of luck.

PXL_20230605_173754796.jpg
Wow! Look at that! It actually looks RIGHT, too! I'm glad to hear that there's a fix for it that exists! Thanks for letting me know Kevin2022! If you run into any issues with this install, let me know please! Otherwise, I'll assume everything went well! Best of luck to you!

Sponsored

Kevin2022

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Fetus1987

Yes it looks correct. Hopefully they are shopping out to everyone soon.

Best of luck.

Bronco_Mo

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Bronco_Mo ever had this issue?
I didn't purchase the Powerstep Extreme so I don't have a dog in this fight. I figured one motor per side was plenty but having everything installed and aligned properly before you mount those motors is very important the hinges use 2 bolts to install, make sure everything is flush and torqued properly against the under body, put the steps on and cycle them by hand. then put on the motors. the module will align the steps when you first power it up. mine were a bit out of alignment, so i went back and retorqued the hinges to the recommended settings and the steps cycle perfectly..

OP
OP

Fetus1987

Outer Banks
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
did this resolve the issue? they are still not able to be ordered as of yet
They probably quit selling the extreme version because of the design flaw. Kevin2022 received the newly redesigned piece, and just by the looks of it, it looks like it should fix the issue. I still haven't received the new piece, and it would be my guess that it's going to be a long while before they start selling the extreme version again. They'll have to reprint new installation guides, and manufacture new corrected linkage arms before they are available to buy. My guess would be a at least a couple of months, but that's just a guess.

Kevin2022

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes I did receive the updated part and was able to complete my installation mechanically. The only other issue I had was the posi tap connector to tap into the can bus was too small for the wire size on the bronco. I have ordered larger connectors and then they should be operational. Otherwise they seem to be nice steps. The new part fit fine.
Sponsored