Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

First time taking the OEM soft top off will be this week. Any tips anyone has to make sure I don't scratch the car or damage the soft top? How long does it usually take? How is it getting back on?

Weather is finally getting better in the mid-west. Up until now, been just dropping the top but never taking it completely off because weather hasn't cooperating. Looking to take the OEM top completely off this week and let the the Bronco shine in it's full glory!
Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

1. Get a second person.
2. remove the trim to expose the bolts. pull straight out (its scary the first time)
3. loosen all the bolts but do not yet remove.
4. remove windows if not removed. fold top all the way down making sure it is latched.
5. Remove the pre loosened bolts unlatch the rear where the top opens at the rear.
6. I wrapped cloths around the metal mounts of the soft top to minimize the chance of scratching.
7. lift higher than you think and evenly the third brake light is the highest obstacle.
8. once off install ppf on roll bars
I did not open the tailgate as I didn’t want to risk it getting scratched as you will have to carry it higher for a longer distance.
Ford Bronco Any tips for taking off OEM Soft Top? 417AC571-2089-44E9-9916-0DC9B0D52D9A

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have not take mine completely off but I think it is only a couple of bolts per side that hold it on. I do remember one user took his off and he commented on that it was heavier than he had anticipated so be prepared. I would also have a stand / saw horses / table / cinder blocks / something behind the Bronco so you can just walk it back a few steps and set it down.

OP
OP
Wannabe Techie

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

1. Get a second person.
2. remove the trim to exoise the bolts. pull straight out (its scary the first time)
4. remove windows if not removed. fold top all the way down making sure it is latched.
5. Remove the pre loosened bolts unlatch the rear where the top opens at the rear.
6. I wrapped cloths around the metal mounts of the soft top to minimize the chance of scratching.
7. lift higher than you think and evenly the third brake light is the highest obstacle.
I did not open the tailgate as I didn’t want to risk it getting scratched as you will have to carry it higher for a longer distance.
Ford Bronco Any tips for taking off OEM Soft Top? 417AC571-2089-44E9-9916-0DC9B0D52D9A
Love the tip on the PPF for roll bars. Good idea!

Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Love the tip on the PPF for roll bars. Good idea!
Not to push one company over another but IAG (I think? it was included in the rear lift assist kit) has ppf precut for the bars makes it easy. I think sticker Fab may have some protection as well.

Last edited:

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh I forgot a step

be ready for people to want to look talk comment on your vehicle where ever you go!🤣

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1. Get a second person.
2. remove the trim to expose the bolts. pull straight out (its scary the first time)
My man! In oregon summer we have 2-3 week stretches of no rain. I plan to remove the ST completely along with the doors. So this helps.

Caleb@PandaMotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We highly recommend getting the IAG EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist System! This system adds a pair of gas struts to assist you in lifting the top. Installation is very easy and only takes about 15 minutes. Check out our YouTube video on them here!

Don't forget Bronco6g members can use code "Bronco6g" at checkout for 5% off your purchase!

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I only removed mine once before I sold it. I was by myself and had no help, so in addition to other comments:

It can be removed by one person if they are capable of lifting and walking with heavy & awkward loads. Imagine the idea of moving a heavy 60" plasma flat screen between rooms and around corners. If you are comfortable doing that, you can do the soft top alone.

After unbolting everything, wrapping the roll bar paint, adding some padding to the top of the open tailgate (just in case), and having a stepstool already in place: stand in the cargo area and lift straight up via the accordioned fabric. When clear of roll bar, turn 90 degrees while tilting the top as-needed to clear everything, and step down.

Rough Rider

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recommend tieing the top together so it doesnt unfold while being moved. Its awkward and you will tilt it at some point and the first section doesnt latch back so it will try to open itself up. I tied it together to keep it more stable.
Sponsored