Sponsored

Bronco And I Found Pictographs, Moonshine Still, And This Weird Hole!

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another very well known off road YouTube channel recently discussed native paintings as petroglyphs, which are pictures chipped or carved into the rock versus paintings, which you correctly identified as pictographs. People say I’m pedantic. I’m not sure what they’re talking about.
Where can I find that channel? I'd love to see what they found! And I don't mind people correcting my statements. In my videos I use wrong terminology all the time, just because I'm camera shy. But most of the time people know what I meant to say :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I think those wierd holes are possibly Native American grinding holes. The natives would use them to pound or grind acorns to make flour or paste. Sometimes hot stones from the fire were put into the weird hole and heated the paste. Like a soup pot built into the earth. Usually they are much smaller and shallower. One that large and deep means it was probably in use for several hundred years. The pictographs and obsidian knap shards nearby, is also more evidence it was used as a home long before the moonshiners set up camp.

Kind of a special place to think how many years and acorns were ground in that hole and how many people were fed from a hole that size.

Great find out there! Kind of gives me goosebumps thinking of the history of that place. Thank you for sharing your adventure. It’s great to see where people go and what they do out there.

I feel like I’m graduating from the Ordering/Tracking boards on to new places of this community that are more interesting to me.

Last edited:

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Where can I find that channel? I'd love to see what they found! And I don't find people correcting my statements. In my videos I use wrong terminology all the time, just because I'm camera shy. But most of the time people know what I meant to say :)
Um, Trail Recon is the channel. I know some people don’t like the guy, and he’s firmly in the Jeep camp, but a lot of his “adventures” as he calls them are a relatively short drive from me. I don’t mind him at all.

He was exploring an area of the southern Mojave that’s predominantly granite, leaving paintings as their only option. Here in the Northern Mojave Desert and East into Utah there’s alotta red sandstone that has a black desert varnish as a topcoat. We’re petroglyph heavy around here because it was easy for them to chip their symbols into the rocks. There’s one box canyon about 20 minutes from my house that has both Petroglyphs and pictographs on the same panel.

The other difference I’ve noticed between the Great Basin and your Oregon Desert is the cedar trees. Nevada was heavily mined, so the big old growth cedars were cut down for mine timbers and cabins and burned for charcoal to run the smelters. There’s still buildings standing that were made from giant cedar logs. You still seem to have the actual trees because your settlers didn’t cut them ALL down. Our cedars are only about a 100 years old. Now the BLM has decided to chain them down to allow for more sage.

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think those wierd holes are possibly Native American grinding holes. The natives would use them to pound or grind acorns to make flour or paste. Sometimes hot stones from the fire were put into the weird hole and heated the paste. Like a soup pot built into the earth. Usually they are much smaller and shallower. One that large and deep means it was probably in use for several hundred years. The pictographs and obsidian knap shards nearby, is also more evidence it was used as a home long before the moonshiners set up camp.

Kind of a special place to think how many years and acorns were ground in that hole and how many people were fed from a hole that size.

Great find out there! Kind of gives me goosebumps thinking of the history of that place. Thank you for sharing your adventure. It’s great to see where people go and what they do out there.

I feel like I’m graduating from the Ordering/Tracking boards on to new places of this community that are more interesting to me.
Great information! Thank you so much!

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Um, Trail Recon is the channel. I know some people don’t like the guy, and he’s firmly in the Jeep camp, but a lot of his “adventures” as he calls them are a relatively short drive from me. I don’t mind him at all.

He was exploring an area of the southern Mojave that’s predominantly granite, leaving paintings as their only option. Here in the Northern Mojave Desert and East into Utah there’s alotta red sandstone that has a black desert varnish as a topcoat. We’re petroglyph heavy around here because it was easy for them to chip their symbols into the rocks. There’s one box canyon about 20 minutes from my house that has both Petroglyphs and pictographs on the same panel.

The other difference I’ve noticed between the Great Basin and your Oregon Desert is the cedar trees. Nevada was heavily mined, so the big old growth cedars were cut down for mine timbers and cabins and burned for charcoal to run the smelters. There’s still buildings standing that were made from giant cedar logs. You still seem to have the actual trees because your settlers didn’t cut them ALL down. Our cedars are only about a 100 years old. Now the BLM has decided to chain them down to allow for more sage.
Great information! Sounds like I need to explore Utah sometime. Appreciate everything above!
Sponsored