Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm very interested in vacuum leaks here, something Dodge has never really been good with. How does the engine run? I know with a V8 it can be hard to tell sometimes, but if it isn't "so buttery-smooth I can't feel it run" then I want to start there. The best part is that it's cheap and easy to check for vacuum leaks.

Start the engine and just let it idle. Start spraying some ether (starting fluid) around the intake manifold and all vacuum lines. If the RPM increases, you found a vacuum leak. It's pretty easy to narrow it down from there.
Sponsored

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sounds like a lot of parts changing. It would be worth it to get someone who can actually scope the vehicle and see what is happening. There is more to the circuit than just the sensors. For example, the catalyst can be partially plugged and that will slow the response down. I would start with the sensor circuits, backpressure tests, smoke test of the exhaust and then general engine performance (knowing that the sensors have been replaced multiple times). These hard ones are where you get what you pay for in a real diagnostic tech!

OP
OP
PrepVet

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So since the replacement ECM was installed

It was driven roughly 60 miles, mostly highway they said, by the shop and then 230 by me which was also mostly highway. I did a battery disconnect to just clear the light and it was back on after 25 miles of all city driving. I did the battery disconnect clear again and have driven another 230 miles of mostly highway with no light.

This coming weekend I am going to find out which wire of the local O2 sensor plug is the ground and run my own to a fresh point. Just see if that does anything. It’s an old MOPAR so grounding issues are not an unknown issue.
Sponsored

Last edited: