Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Jaguar F-TYPE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-motor-losses-chip-shortage-rivian/

Ford Motor said it lost $3.1 billion over the past three months and its revenue slid, in part because of a shortage of semiconductor chips which limited the number of pickups and SUVs available for sale in North America, but also as a result of its heavy investment in electric-vehicle startup Rivian.

Chief Financial Officer John Lawler pointed away from those losses, however, and said the company also made $2.3 billion in pretax profit.

"Clearly the demand for our new products is very strong," Lawler said. "We continue to have issues with supply of chips, which constrained us, and in particular here in North America, it hit us disproportionately on our large vehicles."

Semiconductors — often referred to as microchips or just chips — serve as the brain of modern electronic devices. In vehicles, semiconductors control everything from engine temperature to alerts that an oil change is needed.

The supply-chain issues caused by the coronavirus pandemic are the main reason for the chip shortage, according to the Semiconductor Industry Association. Sales of electronic devices soared when people began working from home, logging into telemedicine visits and attending remote learning from their laptops, while COVID-related absenteeism disrupted the supply chain at every point. The nation's limited inventory of semiconductors went largely to those devices at the expense of automobiles, the trade group has said.

The chip shortage has caused Ford and General Motors to close multiple North American factories for a week or two at a time, including plants that build popular full-size pickups. Automotive industry analysts say the shortage will mean fewer cars produced this year for Ford and other major manufacturers.

Ford said it sold 966,000 vehicles in the first quarter, down 9% from a year earlier.

Rivian falls short
Ford executives said the losses reported Wednesday were also weighed down by the plummeting value of its stake in electric-vehicle startup Rivian. The startup has not lived up to its potential, according to Daniel Ives, equity analyst for Wedbush Securities, who noted that the Irvine, California-based company missed its first-quarter earning projections amid a price hike debacle.

Rivian announced price hikes on its vehicles in March and then backtracked the move two days later following a backlash from angry customers who began cancelling their orders.

"To say the Rivian story has been disappointing to us and Wall Street so far would be an understatement," Ives said in a research note. Rivian might still be a major EV producer one day, "However, for that to happen they need to start delivering models to customers and stop the excuses," Ives said.

Ford also faced inflationary pressure from suppliers, Lawler said, but was able to recover with higher vehicles prices. The CEO said he couldn't rule out "additional pricing" if inflation continues to run high.

Ford's first-quarter loss of $3.1 billion compares with a profit of $3.2 billion in the same period last year. Revenue skidded 9% lower than a year ago, to $34.4 billion.
Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Once they get all their scheduled builds and staged vehicles delivered and paid for...they will be looking just fine. My small Dealer just got notification of 24 F150's released and many more vehicles getting scheduled, including Bronco orders. He just called and gave me my VIN# !!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP

Skmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Jaguar F-TYPE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once they get all their scheduled builds and staged vehicles delivered and paid for...they will be looking just fine. My small Dealer just got notification of 24 F150's released and many more vehicles getting scheduled, including Bronco orders. He just called and gave me my VIN# !!!!!!!!!!

Nice, I wonder if the Chip shortageis coming to an end I saw GM said they're good now

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...as-good-news-on-the-chip-shortage-187501.html

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's a lot of great innovation going on at FoMoCo and demand for their vehicles. Once the supply chain problems work themselves through, they will be sitting well.

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

lol. clickbait news is fun

q1 2022 revenue was up 1.26% and last year they were 4.8% with 37.68b profit.

also rivian has the same chip issues, and part of the problem is cost to entry. 70k start is not the average consumer. lightning base is 40, Silverado is 40, 4xe 55, and even the etron is cheaper. hard to be the highest price point and the newest player..

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any reporter with some sense could just come here and realize its not Rivian, its the bronco and shifty dealers not honoring MSRP. Throw in the chip shortage and they have tons of inventory unable to sell. Thus that 3.1b once the ice mountain (soon to be spring mountain) will free up that money.

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It was their investment in Rivian. Not Rivian itself, per se.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rivians are all over the place, where are tge F150 Lightnings? Waiting for GM to beat them to market?
I saw my first and only one 3 weeks ago while visiting PDX. While it's not a product I have even a remote interest in owning, it was still cool to see. My wife was laughing at me for getting excited about spotting it 100 cars behind. The headlight halos grabbed my attention thinking Bronco then noticed the ovals.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Rivian Ford might still be a major EV Bronco producer one day, "However, for that to happen they we need to start delivering models to customers and stop the excuses," Ives said meant.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford began making the Lightning 2 days ago and have made over 2000 so far so we should start seeing them soon
Compared to Bronco, that soon will be in about 2 years, lol

I see more Wranglers on a single transport each day than all the Broncos in the wild I have encountered.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

honestly wont be shocked when ford owns rivitan. their model isnt sustainable and they can't produce vehicles in mass like tesla.

part of this "investment" may be to make a move for ownership, and all of the ev and other tech.
Sponsored