Sponsored

Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500, Honda Pioneer 1000
From what ive heard it makes a difference from 0 to 10 and 50 to 60, navigating an obstacle or with a heavy load.

I see the truck i want in a limited hybrid - but i admit, im not your typical tacoma owner.
Sponsored

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
From what ive heard it makes a difference from 0 to 10 and 50 to 60, navigating an obstacle or with a heavy load.

I see the truck i want in a limited hybrid - but i admit, im not your typical tacoma owner.
Exactly. I think people are very confused and think the torque remains throughout 0-60.

Just check out how quick it moves from 60-70 in the above video

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Had been waiting for Hybrid info to get excited about the truck, but it’s very, *very* underwhelming. We had been conditioned to believe it was power, not mpgs we were getting, but even the power seems like a miss. I really don’t see the purpose of it. Since the numbers came out I’ve been reevaluating all other vehicle options and am not sure if I’ll still get a Tacoma. If I do, it’ll be non-hybrid and it’ll be when they are discounted more in the summer/fall

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Had been waiting for Hybrid info to get excited about the truck, but it’s very, *very* underwhelming. We had been conditioned to believe it was power, not mpgs we were getting, but even the power seems like a miss. I really don’t see the purpose of it. Since the numbers came out I’ve been reevaluating all other vehicle options and am not sure if I’ll still get a Tacoma. If I do, it’ll be non-hybrid and it’ll be when they are discounted more in the summer/fall
Watch the videos of the off road course at the media first drive. The hybrids can effectively idle through the whole thing. The result is exceptionally well-controlled navigation through obstacles. This particular video was probably the most downbeat video I've seen, and not really all that informative. There was another channel that did two 0-60 runs and found that NOT brake-loading it before launch resulted in a better time (I seem to recall 7.0-ish compared to this guy's 7.9). Anyone that wants to just go fast will get a Raptor anyway, so there's not a lot of incentive for Toyota to focus on 0-60 times.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Toyota has so far stayed out of the financial disaster that BEV"s have created for other manufacturers. But I think they still feel the corporate responsibility pressure to "save the planet" and chose the hybrid path to do that on most every vehicle they make. Unfortunately in their heavier BOF truck line it's just not bearing fruit like it does in a Prius or Camry.

If a perspective Tacoma Hybrid buyer percieves some benifit (a 2400w inverter, and a bit more torque in certain limited use situations) to the hybrid powertrain that outweighs extra cost, drivetrain complexity, added weight, reduced towing capacity, etc. they should absolutely get the hybrid Tacoma and not look back.

Last edited:

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Watch the videos of the off road course at the media first drive. The hybrids can effectively idle through the whole thing. .
I mean that’s fine, but I’m not planning on much 0-10mph rock crawling, and the non-hybrids do just fine too. I’m a limited shopper. Seems like a miss for me.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
so you get extra hp/tq to haul around the battery and electric motor. You lose the storage under the back seat and you have to pay more.

I was curious about the hybrid. But after seeing everything on paper I’m happy with my decision of going with the base turbo. Maybe there are some advantages that I’m not seeing but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra cost.

TBH I’d prefer if Toyota offered another gas engine size. A 2.7 liter turbo as an example. Like the Chev or GMC. To give you extra hp/tq.
Happy with your decision :thumbsup:

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
Do yall think torque only means faster 0-60?

Its massively useful offroad. The lack of turbo lag and instant torque on the low end is the purpose. The hybrid powertrain also comes with 2400w, larger brakes, tires, and others
explain "others"

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
Initially, I was really excited about the TRD Pro. I have to say, the wind has gone from my sails for that model. Between the ridiculous pricing, seemingly not useful hybrid complexity, I'm starting to look at other models and other brands. In my opinion, Toyota has blown was could have been an unbeatable opportunity with this truck. I still believe it's very competitive and likely going to be a reliable vehicle, but the buzz is gone for me. I still may end up with a Taco, but not sure if I'll go all in for the Pro now.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
There are lots of trim levels. Why don’t you just look at a cheaper base engine model?

Irvin

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Outback
Yeah, I'm really wishing the Trailhunter came in a non-hybrid option now. I still want all the other add-ons it comes with without having to convert an Off-Road trim.

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
Before I comment on the video I will say this. I personally think the non-hybrid and hybrid are both excellent trucks and great options for those of us that are good with the price and find it to be a good fit vs the competition. Which one you go with is entirely up to you and each has their advantages/disadvantages.

Non-hybrid: cheaper, lower power and torque, lighter, more payload, less potential for problems due to hybrid power train, etc

Hybrid: much more power and torque, hybrid helps provide instant power to offset turbo lag, only available option in halos, big inverter upgrade, same or slightly better fuel economy (factoring in the extra power/torque and maintaining the same-ish fuel economy is a huge win), more expensive, lower payload, more system complexity etc

This video sucks, going to call it how it is. Very generic commentary and no new or good info. There are dozens of mediocre (in quality) "reviews" out there, probably more in this category than actually meaty good ones by people who are knowledgeable and credible. "TH is more balanced, Pro is one serious racing machine, hell of a lot of fun." What?! Makes zero sense. They all share the same power train. I get that the Pro has suspension that supports faster (comfortable) off-road speeds, but they all should drive nearly identical due to the extra power/torque with some difference in suspension feel. How is the Pro super fun and the Limited sharing identical power train is boring and lackluster? Stupid comment. Driving off-road in general is a lot more fun than highway driving, duh.

The linked video below (by TheTopher) is a much more thorough and longer on-road driving impression of the hybrid (TH). Also a positive review, and from a guy who just ordered the Ranger Raptor. You can see him ripping around in it, driving it hard, and it sure looks quicker to me (for whatever that is worth). This channel has a TON of reviews of all kinds of different types of vehicles, he seems very knowledgeable. Plus he got to drive my dream car (911 Turbo) around the track at the Porsche Center. I digress. I am new to this channel but I went down a video rabbit hole recently and watched a bunch of his fast car stuff and he's good, thorough, and knows a ton about many different types of vehicles. Also on the TH series Expedition Overland did you can see the power of the hybrid motor when they're ripping around the dunes, pulling the trailer off-road, and pulling it on-road. The hybrid will excel in these scenarios big time.

I have a very hard time believing that the hybrid does not feel significantly more torquey and powerful than the non-hybrid. By the numbers the hybrids are ~500 pounds heavier so let's call that 8% - 10% heavier than the non-hybrids. HP difference between the two
~17% and TQ 46%. 46% is a HUGE increase... Torque I am sure you feel it on the low end for sure, but I bet you feel it across the whole power band (of course more in certain parts of the power band than others). I am not sure what some of you were hoping for or if you are solely basing your thoughts on these limited drives that the press has been able to take so far. If you are someone looking to drive the truck primarily on-road, not tow, not load it up with a bunch of camp gear (or whatever), then the non-hybrid will be great and the hybrid probably has little to no benefit. Again, the notion that the hybrid does not outperform the non-hybrid is false and I'm really confused why all the "disappointment". Unless Toyota literally lied to us about the torque numbers you will feel it for sure and in my opinion not be disappointed (if that is what you're after), you cannot hide torque. I personally could not be more excited, but my use case is offroading, camping, plenty of on-road as well, and I'll have a heavy setup. It will be great for that and a million times better than my 2nd gen.

Non-hybrid Power/Torque Specs
278 HP
317 TQ

Hybrid Power/Torque Specs
326 HP
465 TQ

Closing thoughts: Buy the model you can afford and based on YOUR individual use case and preference. Or another brand if you're not digging Toyota as much anymore. Great news is there are a ton of options. Some are skeptical of the hybrid powertrain, which I (somewhat) get, then stick to the non-hybrid and I bet you'll love it. However, I do not believe for a second that you can't feel a significant difference between the two in power and torque in multiple circumstances. Off-road you'll feel that torque a ton I bet, especially climbing and crawling. On-road mash the pedal I bet you feel it there too. Towing is all about torque as well and I'm sure that will be much nicer and even more effortless in the hybrids. Will the non-hybrid do these things well, absolutely, but hybrids WILL be a significant improvement.

I am curious to see "official" 0 - 60 times because my prediction is that the hybrid will in fact be quicker which is what Car and Driver estimates as well. Car and Driver is estimating .2 - .5 seconds faster 0 - 60. The HP and TQ increase are proportionally higher than the weight increase of the hybrid vs non-hybrids which should yield quicker acceleration. I'm not too concerned about this, that's what my car is for :) but just a guess.

dmpplantz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Correct. My non hybrid limited has part time 4wd.
And that's where you lose a couple mpgs that you would otherwise have as an advantage with the hybrid. And the reason TH and Pro have same mpg rating as limited.
Sponsored