Sponsored

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
And that's where you lose a couple mpgs that you would otherwise have as an advantage with the hybrid. And the reason TH and Pro have same mpg rating as limited.
Ok so what your saying is if I had full time 4wd I would get better mileage than If I we driving in 2wd? I hope that's not what your saying because that defies all logic and common sense.

Or maybe your saying the TRD Pro with its Hybrid setup actually would get better mileage were it not for the bigger tires and 500 lb weight penalty of the hybrid powertrain components? Again not relevant because there is no way to shed the weight and still be a Hybrid TRD Pro.

Or....perhaps your saying a Hybrid Limited gets better mileage than a non Hybrid Limited? I mean It damn sure better right? But even then just barely.

If I am still missing the point forgive me.

Anyway none of this matters. You are either pro hybrid or your not. And from the looks of this thread nobody is changing anybody else's mind. :)

Fiigtaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR
I'll be happy with my OR 2.4t, i'll just buy a JB4 once the warranty is up if i need more power

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
I'm surprised people are so let down by the hybrid MPG and acceleration improvements when this exact same system has been in Tundra and Sequoia for several years now and there are plenty of comparisons out there already. In the Tundra, owners have reported .4-.5 second better 0-60, even more improvement in 0-100, less turbo lag, slight MPG increase, slight increase in quarter mile times, smoother power, better power delivery under load, noticeable boost in acceleration feel, etc. No one claimed it felt like they added a nitrous system to their truck when they went to the hybrid, but people who have driven or owned both do notice a difference. Whether the level of improvement is "worth it" is a question for the individual buyer, but to claim that there just simply isn't any benefit is not true on paper, during testing, or in driving experience.

The Tacoma hybrid actually adds 44 more pound feet of torque than it does in the Tundra and the city MPG improvement in the Tacoma is looking a little better over Tundra as well. Plus, you'd assume that extra torque and HP will be more noticeable/useful in the lighter truck.

It seems to be more that any time people hear a review that is slightly underwhelmed with some aspect of something they're about to spend a small fortune on, they immediately get cold feet because they want everything to be perfect and exceed expectations. You see people talking about the lack of legroom in a midsize truck or the lack of a map pocket with such disgust you'd think the truck insulted their mother. Overall, these trucks have gotten extremely positive reviews, and there are going to be naysayers and issues with literally every product on earth. I'm sure we will be hearing about TFL breaking their Taco during mild off-roading until the end of time, and there's no doubt Toyota lost 1,000s of sales because of that one issue which could have just as easily been with a Jeep, Ford, etc, etc.

The MPG and torque numbers on the hybrid Tacos are still class-leading, folks. It's still going to be one of the quickest midsize trucks and have more torque than many full sized trucks in recent memory. There has always been multiple powertrain options available for vehicles, sometimes with only a small benefit going from one to another. Some people were happy with the 6 cyl version of a truck, some people were happy with a V8 that maybe only added a bit of acceleration and torque. Were people saying, "The V-8 isn't worth it, it only adds 148 pound feet of torque and 2-3 MPG"?

Last edited:

DrastikTRD

First Name
Blizzow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
I'm surprised people are so let down by the hybrid MPG and acceleration improvements when this exact same system has been in Tundra and Sequoia for several years now and there are plenty of comparisons out there already. In the Tundra, owners have reported .4-.5 second better 0-60, even more improvement in 0-100, less turbo lag, slight MPG increase, slight increase in quarter mile times, smoother power, better power delivery under load, noticeable boost in acceleration feel, etc. No one claimed it felt like they added a nitrous system to their truck when they went to the hybrid, but people who have driven or owned both do notice a difference. Whether the level of improvement is "worth it" is a question for the individual buyer, but to claim that there just simply isn't any benefit is not true on paper, during testing, or in driving experience.

The Tacoma hybrid actually adds 44 more foot pounds of torque than it does in the Tundra and the city MPG improvement in the Tacoma is looking a little better over Tundra as well. Plus, you'd assume that extra torque and HP will be more noticeable/useful in the lighter truck.

It seems to be more that any time people hear a review that is slightly underwhelmed with some aspect of something they're about to spend a small fortune on, they immediately get cold feet because they want everything to be perfect and exceed expectations. You see people talking about the lack of legroom in a midsize truck or the lack of a map pocket with such disgust you'd think the truck insulted their mother. Overall, these trucks have gotten extremely positive reviews, and there are going to be naysayers and issues with literally every product on earth. I'm sure we will be hearing about TFL breaking their Taco during mild off-roading until the end of time, and there's no doubt Toyota lost 1,000s of sales because of that one issue which could have just as easily been with a Jeep, Ford, etc, etc.

The MPG and torque numbers on the hybrid Tacos are still class-leading, folks. It's still going to be one of the quickest midsize trucks and have more torque than many full sized trucks in recent memory. There has always been multiple powertrain options available for vehicles, sometimes with only a small benefit going from one to another. Some people were happy with the 6 cyl version of a truck, some people were happy with a V8 that maybe only added a bit of acceleration and torque. Were people saying, "The V-8 isn't worth it, it only adds 148 pound feet of torque and 2-3 MPG"?

All good points but when you pay $60-$65K for a mid size truck you want everything in the truck to be to your liking. Yeah inflation blah, blah blah...but end of the day every manufacturer is producing new trucks for more money and giving buyers less. Toyota had 8 years to design the 4th gen and this is best they can do?

These will be discounted soon and then maybe they will be worth the money Toyota is asking for them.

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
All good points but when you pay $60-$65K for a mid size truck you want everything in the truck to be to your liking. Yeah inflation blah, blah blah...but end of the day every manufacturer is producing new trucks for more money and giving buyers less. Toyota had 8 years to design the 4th gen and this is best they can do?

These will be discounted soon and then maybe they will be worth the money Toyota is asking for them.
How on earth are they giving buyers less with the new Tacomas? I have never owned a previous gen Tacoma or even driven one, but every single review from both the automotive press and new owners coming from a previous gen claims that the truck is improved in every way. Better tech, better comfort, better safety, way more power, better transmission, better suspension, better fuel economy, better ride quality, better frame construction, better braking, updated looks, better interior, etc. All automotive press reviews gush over how much of an improvement it is over the old generation and rate it a 9/10 or 9.5/10 and I see posts every day where people switching from the previous gen claim the difference is night and day.

Is it not worth your hard-earned money to spend 10-15% more on a truck that is 40-50% better than what you would have gotten last year? Has there ever been any vehicle that was 100% to anyone's liking at any price? There are plenty of used Tacos out there if people prefer to drive the same old same old for reasons of price or reliability concerns. Are there comparable midsize or even full-sized trucks that give the give the same combination of performance, features, (likely) reliability and (likely) resale value? Can you handle the shame of driving a Ford? I've yet to make a purchase and I too would love to find an alternative truck to buy that costs $10,000 and goes from 0-60 in 2 seconds while getting 400 MPGs, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
I'm not saying it's not a good truck.. It sounds like it is. I'd argue that a new generation of any vehicle SHOULD be an improvement in just about every way. This does that.. just oddly by pushing the price almost beyond the segment. Then it offers a "top" engine option that sounds like barely noticeable improvements designed just to look good on paper. It'd be like the restaurant offering a 1/4 lb burger, but also an "exclusive" 0.2512 lb burger-max for 8% more money with the same taste... and was then surprised there wasn't more enthusiasm for it.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I'm not saying it's not a good truck.. It sounds like it is. I'd argue that a new generation of any vehicle SHOULD be an improvement in just about every way. This does that.. just oddly by pushing the price almost beyond the segment. Then it offers a "top" engine option that sounds like barely noticeable improvements designed just to look good on paper. It'd be like the restaurant offering a 1/4 lb burger, but also an "exclusive" 0.2512 lb burger-max for 8% more money with the same taste... and was then surprised there wasn't more enthusiasm for it.
Hey guise thats why I don’t eat out. I can make my own burgers & fries at home, way better ingredients, bigger burger, I control all the accessories that go into it. But I can’t build a Trailhunter or OR 6’ iForceMax in my garage and how exactly I want it. I’m gonna have to pay Toyota for something well done, comes with some bacon on a brioche bun. All good 🥓

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
But I can’t build a Trailhunter or OR 6’ iForceMax in my garage and how exactly I want it. I’m gonna have to pay Toyota for something well done, comes with some bacon on a brioche bun. All good 🥓
Beggars can't be choosers... but everyone else can. At some point in price/features/lack of features, the offering becomes unattractive for everyone - all a matter of preference. I'm just surprised at where Toyota has currently drawn the lines for this truck. You may very well still fit inside those lines for your preferences and that's great. It's just that those lines make a smaller space than I imagined and I'm realizing it might not fit for my preferences.

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
As you guys mentioned, I bought into the non hybrid LIMITED because of full time all wheel drive and also for the HUD, didnt want to wait for hybrid. Very disappointed in part time all wheel drive. Those people who reported that it all wheel if standard should make a new video to let people know they made a mistake. I think TFL was the first channel to have said that as well as it also came with air pump to if not mistaken. Well at least the HUD is there.

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001

The Tacoma hybrid actually adds 44 more foot pounds of torque than it does in the Tundra and the city MPG improvement in the Tacoma is looking a little better over Tundra as well. Plus, you'd assume that extra torque and HP will be more noticeable/useful in the lighter truck.

A lot of good points made. These newer vehicles have way more tech than previous generations and with emission standards now vehicles just aren't going to have the engines, setups, and price that people have seen in the past. Personally, I think the hybrid setup is very creative and pretty cool. It doesn't add a ton of weight and Is designed to give a lot more power to fill in the gaps in the power band while also adding to the peak power. On top of that it actually improves total fuel economy. It also gives a powerful inverter and a lot of charging /device usage possibility, which is pretty cool. Basically the truck can be used as a generator and the batteries can be used for camping or tools etc.

If you want a midsize truck that is more sporty then you can get the Ranger Raptor which gets lower fuel economy and requires premium fuel. So the savings you see initially will be eaten up by gas money in time. I see the Ranger Raptor and the tacomas has different vehicles. I like the new Tacoma because it's a Toyota, I'm betting that it will be extremely reliable, and I find the utility of the hybrid much better than the competitors. I'm impressed by Toyota's new design. Obviously it's not to everyone's liking though.

As far as fuel economy, I'm not really paying attention to these first videos with the limited. I'm going to wait until they're out there in the world and different people are actually testing them out and reporting back. I bet if you drive it mellow it will actually get impressive MPG and if you want to really move or tow something it will do that impressively as well. That's a big win for a truck in my book. It's a great compromise to get some of both. The competitor trucks will definitely haul ass, but they're also going to consume a lot more fuel all the time.

SaltySam

First Name
Samuel Ferrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma off-road and 2023 civic type r
Blame the EPA not Toyota! They’re just trying to comply with what they know and what they’re very good at! All that while giving what the people need and trying to keep up with the modern times and competition! It’s way too early but the 5th gen taco could very well be full electric at this point if that’s what people want. I’ll take a hybrid over a full electric truck any day. Especially if it’s made by Toyota! Just my opinion 👍

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Blame the EPA not Toyota! They’re just trying to comply with what they know and what they’re very good at! All that while giving what the people need and trying to keep up with the modern times and competition! It’s way too early but the 5th gen taco could very well be full electric at this point if that’s what people want. I’ll take a hybrid over a full electric truck any day. Especially if it’s made by Toyota! Just my opinion 👍
I’m with you vehicle weight & thermal runaway fires are real thing, I don’t want the current BEV tech off-roading middle of nowhere en fuego there goes your rig. Toyota has the most solid state battery patents and although it’s coming, the largest it can be scaled right now is in a removable dash speaker 😆

once the electrolytes are nixed things get lighter, denser, far less flammable. Hydrogen…ehhh. Sounds like more compartments taking up space in a midsize truck. No thanks

DrastikTRD

First Name
Blizzow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
How on earth are they giving buyers less with the new Tacomas? I have never owned a previous gen Tacoma or even driven one, but every single review from both the automotive press and new owners coming from a previous gen claims that the truck is improved in every way. Better tech, better comfort, better safety, way more power, better transmission, better suspension, better fuel economy, better ride quality, better frame construction, better braking, updated looks, better interior, etc. All automotive press reviews gush over how much of an improvement it is over the old generation and rate it a 9/10 or 9.5/10 and I see posts every day where people switching from the previous gen claim the difference is night and day.

Is it not worth your hard-earned money to spend 10-15% more on a truck that is 40-50% better than what you would have gotten last year? Has there ever been any vehicle that was 100% to anyone's liking at any price? There are plenty of used Tacos out there if people prefer to drive the same old same old for reasons of price or reliability concerns. Are there comparable midsize or even full-sized trucks that give the give the same combination of performance, features, (likely) reliability and (likely) resale value? Can you handle the shame of driving a Ford? I've yet to make a purchase and I too would love to find an alternative truck to buy that costs $10,000 and goes from 0-60 in 2 seconds while getting 400 MPGs, but I'm not holding my breath.
I get the new 4th gen is better but not without its drawbacks. To say its 40-50% better is stretch. Automotive press reviews are just big infomercials kissing Toyotas ass is what i think of them.

I have test driven a sport and a OR and was not impressed. Plastics seem cheaper and glove box was rattling on a $54K truck. Tech was nice but I don't need all the fancy HUDs, speakers and useless things that people maybe use once a month.

End of the day its your money and people are smart enough to spend how they want. But if it were me , Id take Ranger Raptor all day over a loaded up Hybrid Tacoma with no rear seat storage and no leg room. I get its a Ford and quality and reliability is in question but the Tacoma is not proven yet either in the 4th gen. Trade off is MPG in the Raptor but in my opinion is better all around value and better truck then the 4th Gen Pro/TH/Hybrid
Sponsored