First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My Wlldtrak order is currently set for the cloth interior as I was planning on replacing the seat covers with Katzkins. The design was pretty simple: single tone with the hex stitching in the inserts.

But after speaking with Katzkin, I'm thinking about changing that plan as their pricing model is highly aggravating. From what I was told, any color other than what the vehicle comes with is defined as "custom". I was planning on a Gray w/ Brown stitch to replace the black/tan cloth seats. But since I'm not planning on ordering Katzkins with similar colors, the price goes from $1695 to $1995. Even though the cost of the leather is EXACTLY the same for Black, Grey, Red, Blue, Brown, Katzkin defines this as "custom". Including the Hex, Installation and Tax the total price lands around $2900 for a 4-door. To me simply not worth it as that's $700 more than factory leather (that includes power seats).

Am I missing something here? To me to charge $300 more for a product that costs the exact same is taking advantage of the customer. I mean, if we're ordering aftermarket covers it's most probably because we want something DIFFERENT than factory.

Not sure if I'm whining, ranting, or seeing this pretty clearly. Open to opinions and feedback.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

It's been awhile since I've priced these out but the standard leather in any color should be same. Once you add options or upgrade leather quality is where the extra cost comes in. You might want to call again and speak to someone else because they don't know what color your current interior is nor should it matter.

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base
"Any color other than what the vehicle comes with" may mean colors that don't match stock options rather than your vehicle in particular. To make a product cut for a specific vehicle in a color outside the norm for that vehicle would be custom as far as I can figure. What are they going to do with it if the sale falls through? Also, if they are turning out covers in batches, they'll have to take the time to pull material specifically for your order and keep it tracked to you rather than making 'x' number of covers in so and such color then shipping them to 'x' number of customers.
This is all assuming they don't build each order as a one-off. If they do then that charge is bs.

Eta: Looks like there are 14 standard options for Broncos on their site. I suspect if you chose one of those there would be no custom charge.

Last edited:

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The only time model should matter is with Badlands & Black Diamond, since their seat style is different than the other models that have the cloth option.

If you look across their standard template options they offer across the models that offer cloth seating, quite a few are the same.

I'm a little hazy on their pricing for options, but I 'think' any tech/hex style stitching is +$300 and contrast stitching is +$50.

The installation cost looks par for the course (based on the prices you gave).

Have you looked at any of the basic templates offered for Outer Banks and changed colors of leather & stitching to compare cost?
Katzkin's Outer Banks standard templates.

::edit::
for some reason the link broke when I originally posted it. It's now fixed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It's been awhile since I've priced these out but the standard leather in any color should be same. Once you add options or upgrade leather quality is where the extra cost comes in. You might want to call again and speak to someone else because they don't know what color your current interior is nor should it matter.
The only time model should matter is with Badlands & Black Diamond, since their seat style is different than the other models that have the cloth option.

If you look across their standard template options they offer across the models that offer cloth seating, quite a few are the same.

I'm a little hazy on their pricing for options, but I 'think' any tech/hex style stitching is +$300 and contrast stitching is +$50.

The installation cost looks par for the course (based on the prices you gave).

Have you looked at any of the basic templates offered for Outer Banks and changed colors of leather & stitching to compare cost?
Katzkin's Outer Banks standard templates.

Thanks, it seems like I'm not totally crazy on this. The Katzkin rep clearly communicated that since my model comes with black/tan interior and I'm looking at a grey interior that it falls under the "custom" pricing. When I asked if my model came from the factory with grey what would the price be and she responded that it would be the standard pricing. I'll make another call to them and see what their answer is.

Yes, the Hex is $300 upcharge, which is fine. And no issues with Installation as I don't have the skill nor patience to get it right. Its just the fact that they are gouging the price $300 (18%) simply for the fact that the color is different than what comes from the factory. Black leather and Grey leather cost the same...and these are built to order.

Sponsored

Black Diamond

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks, it seems like I'm not totally crazy on this. The Katzkin rep clearly communicated that since my model comes with black/tan interior and I'm looking at a grey interior that it falls under the "custom" pricing. When I asked if my model came from the factory with grey what would the price be and she responded that it would be the standard pricing. I'll make another call to them and see what their answer is.

Yes, the Hex is $300 upcharge, which is fine. And no issues with Installation as I don't have the skill nor patience to get it right. Its just the fact that they are gouging the price $300 (18%) simply for the fact that the color is different than what comes from the factory. Black leather and Grey leather cost the same...and these are built to order.
I am not sure why there business model takes into account what the factory color is because they remove the factory seat covering anyway. My OBX has roast interior and I am looking at Mahogany single color for the seats. I should ask if that counts as brown vs brown to get the cheaper price.

Also, do you get to keep the old covering as I would want to keep the original coverings.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I fixed the link in my original post, since it broke for some reason.

I, personally, would try and not mention it's a Wildtrak if they're insistent on the whole factory color thing.
If you're wanting grey, try mentioning it's an Outer Banks and see what happens. (navy pier & grey cloth option if they ask for details, but it really shouldn't matter.)

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Also, if you haven't seen the colors you want to choose in person, I'll post a link where you can order actual swatches of the colors. You're limited to 10 choices per order though and with the rise in shipping rates, it costs just as much as the samples to send, sadly.

It's a good idea to consider this if you don't have access to view the colors in person.

I've ordered 3 times from them (30 color samples) and have all the color samples I've considered. I now just need a Bronco so I can get started.

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It doesn’t matter what your current interior colour is, it depends on what colour leather you’re selecting from them. Perhaps the sales rep was not explaining it properly.

Katzkin typically has what they call “factory match” interiors for most current year vehicles. They design specific leather interiors that are made to closely resemble what you can get from the factory. These are made in advance and kept in stock so people looking for something simple have a more affordable option.

The second you select anything different from those factory match kits, it becomes custom. This means they take your order and send it to a different production facility where they sew it up to your exact specifications. If you don’t want to pay the up charge for custom designs, you’re stuck with whatever they have for factory designs. That and hex or Diamond stitched inserts are always going to carry an extra charge above the custom fee.

Sponsored

Black Diamond

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco Katzkin & "Custom" Pricing 34243DF7-F3BF-4839-9688-E93F217BA0DE

OP
OP
DallasCajun

DallasCajun

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It doesn’t matter what your current interior colour is, it depends on what colour leather you’re selecting from them. Perhaps the sales rep was not explaining it properly.

Katzkin typically has what they call “factory match” interiors for most current year vehicles. They design specific leather interiors that are made to closely resemble what you can get from the factory. These are made in advance and kept in stock so people looking for something simple have a more affordable option.
That might help explain it better than how it came across from the rep. It's highly confusing (and misleading) as the website clearly delineates the 'Premium' leather colors and 'Tuscany' much less the other options, but no definition of 'Standard'. I'll just need to call them to see what colors fall under that Standard/Factory Match category and go from there.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I believe standard is what ever they carry on hand all the time. It seems that rep is just making the waters muddy by how she is explaining it.

ThisGuy611

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E90 M3 6spd Sedan; EG Base Scheduled 3/27
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

On a side note, I may be willing to buy your Wiltrak interior if you end up doing this (as long as it's not cut off obviously).

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I also priced Katzkins through my dealer and was in the same ballpark as the OP. I'd opted for 2 color leather, contrasting stitching, and perforated seat and wings. (these were their custom colors, not the 10 or so Bronco seats on their main page). They would ship to dealer, dealer sends them off to their designated upholstery shop for install--all in for around $2200 bucks.

Talked to used car manager and asked how much he bumps trade values up when adding Katzkins, he stated he doesn't add any extra to trade value as they are custom and customer specific tastes...so that's was enough reason for me not to get them..no added value in the long run--plus they weren't covered under the Mfg's warranty like the original upholstery is.
Sponsored