meredith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey all -
I just got my 1up heavy duty bike rack (for 2 bikes) this past weekend. I installed a nice Curt class 3 hitch on my 2 door Outerbanks and I definitely need an extender. I’m just going to buy one from Amazon since I need it by Friday, but does anyone have any suggestions on a locking hitch pin for it?
Sponsored

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got a 1Up Super Duty Single with a one bike extension on it (so a two bike carrier). I ordered the Curt 45797 hitch extension (with 2” drop/rise), and I just I just picked up a locking hitch pin from Harbor freight for the extension to the receiver.

I have 1Up’s lock for the rack to the extension.

First time using the setup on the bronco will be in a couple of days, so fingers crossed for no unexpected hiccups.

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can buy Kuat locking pins at almost any bike shop that has their racks. They are HEFTY. Quick Amazon search and they also have curt ones on there, look satisfactory. Don’t forget one for your rack to the extender as well (my 1up single didn’t come with one).

Also, didn’t ask…but the Kuat Pivot is nice because you are left with a functional door. I had a one up single and a Kuat hi Lo extender and still couldn’t open the rear door, even when tilted down.

Ford Bronco Locking hitch pin for Curt hitch? 1A518290-D99F-4261-8AC0-DDFA9A254E19

Ford Bronco Locking hitch pin for Curt hitch? BD92AF00-7BB9-4E07-AB32-539AA67C14BF

Ford Bronco Locking hitch pin for Curt hitch? EDB37D03-72A4-45C2-80AA-34BD48361CA5

OP
OP

meredithmegan

Outer Banks
First Name
meredith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You can buy Kuat locking pins at almost any bike shop that has their racks. They are HEFTY. Quick Amazon search and they also have curt ones on there, look satisfactory. Don’t forget one for your rack to the extender as well (my 1up single didn’t come with one).

Also, didn’t ask…but the Kuat Pivot is nice because you are left with a functional door. I had a one up single and a Kuat hi Lo extender and still couldn’t open the rear door, even when tilted down.

Ford Bronco Locking hitch pin for Curt hitch? EDB37D03-72A4-45C2-80AA-34BD48361CA5

Thanks! I was debating between 1up and Kuat endlessly but have several friends swearing by 1up so went in that direction. I figure worst case if I can't stand not being able to open my door I'll get the 1up swing extenstion!

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks! I was debating between 1up and Kuat endlessly but have several friends swearing by 1up so went in that direction. I figure worst case if I can't stand not being able to open my door I'll get the 1up swing extenstion!
No problem! Good luck

Sponsored
OP
OP

meredithmegan

Outer Banks
First Name
meredith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

The pin i'm looking for is the one for the rack to the extender (I have one for the rack to the hitch). Thoughts on this?

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-23518-T...078578&sprefix=curt+locking+pin,aps,82&sr=8-6

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah that’s the one I saw, it’s like the kuat, just not curved at the end, but appears like it’s gonna have that same audible click to know it’s in place, which is not an insignificant detail really. I had one fall off because it was a flush lock and didn’t have that click. Also, the curved ones are nice because theoretically if the lock comes off, they aren’t gonna fly out immediately and offer one more fail safe. But honestly, I’m splitting hairs, they’re all the same.

kahunabob

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey all -
I just got my 1up heavy duty bike rack (for 2 bikes) this past weekend. I installed a nice Curt class 3 hitch on my 2 door Outerbanks and I definitely need an extender. I’m just going to buy one from Amazon since I need it by Friday, but does anyone have any suggestions on a locking hitch pin for it?
I have a 1up bike carrier. The 1up will snug perfectly the hitch extension. But I have experienced some wiggle where the hitch extension connects to the Bronco. I tried a few anti-wobble items...nothing worked well. Until I found this locking hitch pin and anti wiggle pin set. This thing works well and by setup is stable without any wiggle/wobble. Highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07THC26Y5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good choice on the 1up. I have had a few different racks and the 1up is the best!

Big Rig

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thule makes a hitch extender with a threaded locking pin that eliminates the wobble between the hitch and the extender.
Sponsored