Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX and 23 Jeep JLU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had a few minutes to try to get my Curt hitch installed on my lux package Outer Banks today, but the bolts were so long that they are hitting the parking sensor wires.... Has anyone run into that?
Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

OP
OP
MattAttack85

MattAttack85

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I saw another post where they used a bunch of washers because the bolts were so long.

I would be inclined to cut them or get shorter bolts.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/ski-and-snowboard-rack-hitch-solution.38394/#post-1256801
I searched through the forum looking for something close to my problem but didn't think to click that one because of the title and me living in Florida, haha!

Thank you! I'll see about picking up some shorter grade 8 bolts tomorrow.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I searched through the forum looking for something close to my problem but didn't think to click that one because of the title and me living in Florida, haha!

Thank you! I'll see about picking up some shorter grade 8 bolts tomorrow.
Are they grade 8? Kind of hard to tell from the pictures on that post. They look like markings I am not familiar with. Are there 4 marks 8,9,12, and 3 o’clock? What are the markings on yours?

OP
OP
MattAttack85

MattAttack85

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are they grade 8? Kind of hard to tell from the pictures on that post. They look like markings I am not familiar with. Are there 4 marks 8,9,12, and 3 o’clock? What are the markings on yours?
When I installed the Curt hitch in my Jeep, they were labeled grade 8 on the installation sheet. So I assumed these were too. Looking at the instructions for the Bronco, it doesn't say that. Here's a quick picture I took. They look like grade 8 to me. 🤷

Ford Bronco Curt Hitch and parking sensors? 20220306_002613

Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yep, grade 8. I would cut 1/2” off the bolts instead of buying shorter ones though. There may be a reason these bolts were selected. The shank (smooth part) is almost the exact length of the receiver, so the shank is in the holes of the frame and receiver instead of threads. The shank is stronger than the threaded part and also slightly larger in diameter so it fits better in the holes.

OP
OP
MattAttack85

MattAttack85

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yep, grade 8. I would cut 1/2” off the bolts instead of buying shorter ones though. There may be a reason these bolts were selected. The shank (smooth part) is almost the exact length of the receiver, so the shank is in the holes of the frame and receiver instead of threads. The shank is stronger than the threaded part and also slightly larger in diameter so it fits better in the holes.
My buddy has a lathe.. I'll see if I can get him to turn a 1/2" off the existing bolts. Thanks very much for the input!

Cyskers

First Edition
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maxima
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I had no issue with my FE and the Curt box with my sensors. I'd contact Curt and see if something was messed up in your box.
Sponsored