Sponsored

HELP! Deciding between the Draw-Tite v. Curt Hitch trailer hitch receivers. Questions about torque wrench and Bump Step

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Went with the drawtite, I will tow a boat and didn’t feel comfortable with an extension and don’t need a drop for towing height. Side view a little awkward, straight on from behind looks normal. I think it will depend on you. Long torque wrench, no issues.
Good to know that a long wrench was not too long for this. Thanks for the thought on how it looks. Maybe with the Bump step, visually it will look OK because there is something at the end point of it.
Sponsored

tater_70

Wildtrak
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Fairlane, 1973 Bronco, 75 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you're mostly looking for a bike rack carrying hitch and won't do much semi heavy off roading the Drawtite would be right. You sacrifice departure angle, tongue weight and potentially a chin or two. For trailer towing the Curt might be better, if you can get by without a seperate extender as that will lower the allowable tongue weight. See if a drop hitch will set your trailer level and clear the spare tire without an extension. If you use a separate extension minimize tongue weight and get anti rattle clamps (2), you will want one with any hitch.

And, don't go buy a torque wrench just for this. Guent and tight will be fine. If you weigh 150 and lift yourself on your heels you'll get 100 or so with a one foot wrench
Go to your local auto parts store (i.e. AutoZone) and borrow the torque wrench at no charge. (they charge you but refund upon return)

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Go to your local auto parts store (i.e. AutoZone) and borrow the torque wrench at no charge. (they charge you but refund upon return)
That may work for some people, but not me. I would not feel ethically comfortable in doing that.

This past weekend, I bought a keypad lock set for the front door to replace one that I bought recently, that I thought was broken (the keypad was not working). Turns out, all I needed to do was push the tiny reset button for 5 seconds to restore to factory settings. This "feature" is buried in step 6 of 13 in the instruction manual. I took off the old keypad, put in the new one, then I realized I could have just pushed the reset button. Then I took off the new one and put the old one back on and now it is fully working.

I went to the hardware store to return the unit and I explained what happened. I also wanted them to double check that all the pieces were there including the keys. The guy there was angry at me and told me that it did not matter, and he was just going to throw it away after processing the return. I guess he thought I was swapping out a bad one for a good one then returning.

This whole incident bothered me the whole rest of the day. But I guess people do that and therefore the employee that the store seemed justified in falsely accusing me (the guy who does not feel comfortable returning something after using it even once, unless it is defective).

Reactions: abe
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Remember the long hitch, if I remember correctly, cuts your tongue and towing weight in half.
The Draw-tite has 4500 lbs for towing, which is still greater than the Bronco limit. 675 lbs for tongue weight. So this is an advantage of the Draw-tite over getting an extender.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good timing, so I'm debating taking order of a 2 door SAS, I mountain bike that's the only thing I need the hitch for. So......the curt receiver hitch......an extender and the 1UP rack?

Curt receiver hitch: Curt Receiver Hitch - FREE SHIPPING - NAPA Auto Parts (napaonline.com)
Extender: 2″ Hitch Extender – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE (1up-usa.com)
Rack: 2″ Super Duty Single – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE (1up-usa.com) '

Anything else?
You can save money and have solid unit but just getting the Draw-tite which does not require the extender:
https://www.draw-tite.com/Product/76527_class-3-trailer-hitch

*** UPDATE: Looks like Draw-Tite has both a short and a long version. Get the long version if you want to save $.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tater_70

Wildtrak
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Fairlane, 1973 Bronco, 75 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That may work for some people, but not me. I would not feel ethically comfortable in doing that.

This past weekend, I bought a keypad lock set for the front door to replace one that I bought recently, that I thought was broken (the keypad was not working). Turns out, all I needed to do was push the tiny reset button for 5 seconds to restore to factory settings. This "feature" is buried in step 6 of 13 in the instruction manual. I took off the old keypad, put in the new one, then I realized I could have just pushed the reset button. Then I took off the new one and put the old one back on and now it is fully working.

I went to the hardware store to return the unit and I explained what happened. I also wanted them to double check that all the pieces were there including the keys. The guy there was angry at me and told me that it did not matter, and he was just going to throw it away after processing the return. I guess he thought I was swapping out a bad one for a good one then returning.

This whole incident bothered me the whole rest of the day. But I guess people do that and therefore the employee that the store seemed justified in falsely accusing me (the guy who does not feel comfortable returning something after using it even once, unless it is defective).
No ethics involved, they advertise "loan a tool". I've used it many times. Most of the loaners are already used, works out great.

JL8jeff

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2door base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Draw-Tite makes a long and short (like the Curt) hitch so go with whichever brand you can get the best price on. I've had boats for 33 years and I wouldn't want a hitch that sticks out, you will hurt yourself on it at some point. You don't really need a torque wrench if you're just using it for a bike rack or step, just crank down on it real good with a 1/2" breaker bar.

Do you know which bike rack you plan to use?

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
No ethics involved, they advertise "loan a tool". I've used it many times. Most of the loaners are already used, works out great.
Sorry!

I guess I falsely accused you! Oops. Thanks!

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Draw-Tite makes a long and short (like the Curt) hitch so go with whichever brand you can get the best price on. I've had boats for 33 years and I wouldn't want a hitch that sticks out, you will hurt yourself on it at some point. You don't really need a torque wrench if you're just using it for a bike rack or step, just crank down on it real good with a 1/2" breaker bar.

Do you know which bike rack you plan to use?
Debating between 1-Up or getting a nice deal on a Saris Modular Hitch System (MHS) from REI, which will cost me a little less in total price (when counting the hitch, and racks for 2 bikes).

1. If I get the 1-up, I will likely get the Draw-Tite long version (thanks for pointing out they have a short version)
2. If I get the Saris. I can get the 3+1 MHS, and I think I can just put 2 bikes on it. That way I can get the Curt (or the Draw-Tite short) and still have enough space.
Sponsored