DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's not an ideal setup, but got the job done. My family of 5 flew into Boise with all of our ski gear to pick up our 'used' Bronco at Boise VW and then did about a 1200 mile road trip back home to Colorado with this setup. I had all the parts delivered to the dealer and then installed the receiver hitch myself in one of their car detailing bays.

Found that the bolts for the receiver hitch are a little long, so purchased 8 additional steel washers (see photos). The ski/snowboard rack does tilt backward, but even tilted you can only open the rear door a few inches. When we needed to load/unload the trunk area we would just remove the ski rack which is very easy to do by yourself if it is empty, and fairly easy loaded with 4 pairs of skis...with two people. Something like the Kuat Pivot V2 would really enhance this setup.

Parts (no affiliations, just showing what I purchased):
Hitch - https://www.jegs.com/i/Curt/229/134...=Transactional&utm_content=Order+Confirmation

Ski/Snowboard Rack - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081G7JJB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hitch Stabilizer - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JDD8L3H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hitch Extender - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B6KQDSH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG
Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How was the noise/moving around while driving?

Worried about the stability.

Thanks for posting.

CHorn22

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How did you guys feel about the usability of the hitch mounted rack vs a roof rack?

I have a Thule roof rack for snowboards from my old ride - Need to decide if it's worth getting the roof rack from ford and putting that on top (I have the MIC) or if this is a simpler solution

Zap74

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3. Volkswagen Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Thule has no rattling and and very secure.
drove from NJ to Vermont and back. The only issue is accessing the rear cargo area.

OP
OP
VailBronco

VailBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How was the noise/moving around while driving?

Worried about the stability.

Thanks for posting.
No noticable difference in noise or stability. We drove 70-80mph in high winds and I was surprised at how well the Bronco handled that even with the ski rack on there...some vehicles get pushed around a lot in those conditions. I do highly recommend the anti-rattle/stabilizer part, and the vertical bolt on the hitch extender really helps keep the ski rack from wobbling too much in the hitch extender.

Sponsored

tmandz

Big Bend
First Name
Trev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thank you so much for this! I've been looking for hitch solutions for my skis over a roof option since I might as well get some use out of the $500 hitch option. I'm also planning on adding a swivel so I can get the tailgate open to about 90 degrees so I can actually sit down in the car and put my boots on.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s a pretty good setup. I’ve saved this thread for when my Bronco comes.

I prefer a roof rack. Still confused why we cannot order roof rails from Ford for 4dr SAS

OP
OP
VailBronco

VailBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How did you guys feel about the usability of the hitch mounted rack vs a roof rack?

I have a Thule roof rack for snowboards from my old ride - Need to decide if it's worth getting the roof rack from ford and putting that on top (I have the MIC) or if this is a simpler solution
My preference is to use a roof mounted box for skis/snowboards and I was trying to arrange a roof mount option but couldn't find the Ford Roof rails for the hard top anywhere. There are a few aftermarket roof rack options our there for the MIC, but they are really expensive. Also not sure about clearance getting into parking garages using a roof mounted ski rack or box. We didn't have any issues with that with this setup...but it was close a couple of times.

Downsides of this setup are that you can't easily get in the trunk area, and the skis do get very dirty if the roads are wet/snowy.

JAricB

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
540i, Rubicon, Bronco, TRX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wondering if the bolts for the hitch were reversed, you wouldn't need the washers?

OP
OP
VailBronco

VailBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wondering if the bolts for the hitch were reversed, you wouldn't need the washers?
Followed the instructions from Curt to install the hitch, so they are installed in the correct direction. You'd have to take the rear bumper off to install the bolts going the other direction. Mine is a Big Bend with rear parking sensors, not sure if the other models could have slightly more room for the bolts.

Sponsored

TuttyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I bought this off a guy making them and advertising on Instagram it’s a Chuck Bucket. It works real nice especially untill
I can get a hardtop and throw a coffin up on top.

C473978F-5AC2-46C8-8B51-882A6D30F6BF.jpeg

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought this off a guy making them and advertising on Instagram it’s a Chuck Bucket. It works real nice especially untill
I can get a hardtop and throw a coffin up on top.

Ford Bronco Ski and Snowboard Rack - Hitch Solution C473978F-5AC2-46C8-8B51-882A6D30F6BF
oh I like the Chuck bucket. How dirty does your gear get on the road? That’s why I’ve avoided hitch mounts so far. But this has promise it seems. Also like that you can toss poles in it.
I assume the swing out tailgate does not open? That accurate?

TuttyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tail gate doesn’t open but I did just buy a drop hitch and I think it will clear, just haven’t tried it yet. I’m in N East so tons of salt, gear gets a little battered but honestly I’m not bothered by it.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which drop hitch did you get?

doccoch

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 1967 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tail gate doesn’t open but I did just buy a drop hitch and I think it will clear, just haven’t tried it yet. I’m in N East so tons of salt, gear gets a little battered but honestly I’m not bothered by it.
please keep us posted on the drop hitch solution. I've been watching the Chuck Bucket
Sponsored