Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi all!

I've been looking at solutions to get skis on the outside of my Bronco to fit more people, and I just put together a kit that works pretty well! It's not the cleanest setup, but it gets the job done on a budget, keeps the camera clear, and keeps full access to the tailgate.

I have a stock OBX non SAS, and while I originally had the hard top and hitch in my build, I changed to a soft top with no hitch to speed up the build. This left me without many options for a ski carrier.

I looked into exo-racks for soft tops, but they are way more expensive, and I wouldn't be able to fit in the garage with one installed.

I also looked into bolting a hitch on, but between the cost of the hitch and a hitch mount ski rack, the price added up there as well. If I wanted to keep full access to the tailgate too, the price shot up even further.

This left me looking at tire-mounted options. There are really three options that I found. There is the Thule Tram (adapter for a bike rack), the Yakima Hitch-ski (also just an adapter), and the Quadratec Ski Rack (couldn't find it in stock anywhere).

The Pieces:
Hollywood Rack SR1 ($200)
Thule Tram (Used - $250)
Hollywood Rack SR1 Extra Long Adjustment Bolt Set ($30, but hasn't arrived yet).

I decided to go with the Thule because the cross bars are closer together, so I wouldn't have to get a 6 bike rack to hold it like I would for the Yakima. I paired it with the Hollywood rack because the bike bars stick out straight, as opposed to most others where the bike bars are offset from the center of the Bronco.

The Hollywood Rack and the Thule don't line up perfectly, and I ended up interlocking the two, where the Hollywood was against the tire on top, and the Thule was against the tire on the bottom.

The front crossbar of the Thule (closest to the tire) does not sit inside the bike mount, it sits above it. I was still able to pull the rubber locking strap over the crossbar and attach it. The rear crossbar does sit in the bike mount, you just have to move both bike mounts back a bit to line them up. They are friction fit, so you can move them to where they need to be with a bit of elbow grease.

I also did not like that two bolt heads from the Thule rack were sitting on the sidewall of the spare, so I added a temporary piece of mitered plywood so that they wouldn't be rubbing on the tire. This is just a temporary fix until the Hollywood Racks SR1 Extra Long Adjustment Bold Set shows up, as it comes with two rubber bumpers that I will be putting over the bolt heads. I did attach the wood to the Thule with some screws so that it wouldn't fall out if I hit a big bump.

If you have a SAS build, or upgraded your tires, you will need the long adjustment bolt set to even get it set up. If you have stock tires, the Hollywood rack will fit over your tire, but I recommend the longer bolts anyways.

Overall, I'm very happy with the performance, it handles highway speeds with zero issues, and watching it in the rear view it doesn't look like it moves much at all when I hit bigger bumps in the road. I am slightly less happy with the looks, but I do plan on drilling new holes in the Hollywood to raise the bike bars to allow it to fit together without interlocking, which means that the entire rack will sit flush with the tire.

I feel comfortable putting up to four pairs of skis or two snowboards in the rack, as it's rated to over 70 lbs, but if you have multiple oversized skis or more than four pairs, I would add a tailgate reinforcement plate to the build.

Hopefully this helps someone who is looking for a solution this ski season, and I'd love to hear feedback or suggestions you have for a cleaner look!

Side note: I do have ski sleeves to keep the road grime off my skis/bindings, I just threw some thrift skis in for the photos.

Ford Bronco Solution for Bike/Ski rack for soft tops without a hitch D5CA82CF-4365-43AA-B8D1-968C5B7F46DC_1_201_a

Ford Bronco Solution for Bike/Ski rack for soft tops without a hitch tempImageQArG3m

Ford Bronco Solution for Bike/Ski rack for soft tops without a hitch 36D09467-72EB-4DCF-99F6-0715D44C08DF_1_201_a

Ford Bronco Solution for Bike/Ski rack for soft tops without a hitch 056C3F7A-8CF6-4217-A2A2-AC109C7A07B4_1_201_a
Sponsored

Last edited:

Boboshempy

Base
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks great, but I wish there was another option to mount skis to the Hollywood Rack SR1 instead of the Thule Tram.

jkruk

Outer Banks
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I really like this build - I've been looking for something myself. I have an OBX with sas and the tow package. I like the idea of this setup to keep the reverse camera kinda open still. Still trying to figure out the best route to take

OP
OP

jolson1228

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Quick update, I ended up getting slightly bigger tires (33's) so I messed around with the rack when putting it back on.

The good news:

The bars on the SR1 that hold the bikes are spring-loaded and move up and down out of a locking piece so that you can rotate them flush with the tire when you're not carrying bikes. I used that to my advantage to raise them up when attaching them to the Thule. Everything sits flush now! I didn't need to do any drilling, and it looks ten times better. I even have a better view with the rear camera! Even though the SR1 bars aren't in the locking piece, there is virtually no side-to-side movement.

The bad news:

With the heavier spare tire, I decided to check the total weight of everything. Other threads say that the max weight of the spare tire carrier is 133 lbs, and the whole package with two pairs of skis is 130. That should be fine, except that the Thule acts like a lever bringing the weight out further from the tire.

All that is to say that when I was putting weight on the rack to see how it would do over bumps, I noticed a little bit of flex in the tailgate door panel. That was enough for me to take everything off until I get a reinforcement plate for the tailgate. I ordered one before I even decided on new tires, so it should be set up by next week!

If you are going to use this type of setup, I highly encourage a tailgate reinforcement.

tempImage3u27Kg.png

tempImagemLj7cG.png

tempImageISJRTp.png

tempImageOrtvKR.png

tempImageGnLhXq.png

NY Ski Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sasquatch Badland
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Solution for Bike/Ski rack for soft tops without a hitch 7AD6800A-E1D7-40B0-9B09-B76B81582096
Ford Bronco Solution for Bike/Ski rack for soft tops without a hitch A3BDEDF6-E998-4926-B905-E48032DB1B33
This is what I came up with. nothing special.truck bike rack
Harbor freight roof rack crossbars
Amazon 4 ski rack
Rachet strap

Recently did 150 mile highway trip with 4 pairs of skis with no issue

Sponsored

ManInDYellowHat

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco and Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank
Hi all!

I've been looking at solutions to get skis on the outside of my Bronco to fit more people, and I just put together a kit that works pretty well! It's not the cleanest setup, but it gets the job done on a budget, keeps the camera clear, and keeps full access to the tailgate.

I have a stock OBX non SAS, and while I originally had the hard top and hitch in my build, I changed to a soft top with no hitch to speed up the build. This left me without many options for a ski carrier.

I looked into exo-racks for soft tops, but they are way more expensive, and I wouldn't be able to fit in the garage with one installed.

I also looked into bolting a hitch on, but between the cost of the hitch and a hitch mount ski rack, the price added up there as well. If I wanted to keep full access to the tailgate too, the price shot up even further.

This left me looking at tire-mounted options. There are really three options that I found. There is the Thule Tram (adapter for a bike rack), the Yakima Hitch-ski (also just an adapter), and the Quadratec Ski Rack (couldn't find it in stock anywhere).

The Pieces:
Hollywood Rack SR1 ($200)
Thule Tram (Used - $250)
Hollywood Rack SR1 Extra Long Adjustment Bolt Set ($30, but hasn't arrived yet).

I decided to go with the Thule because the cross bars are closer together, so I wouldn't have to get a 6 bike rack to hold it like I would for the Yakima. I paired it with the Hollywood rack because the bike bars stick out straight, as opposed to most others where the bike bars are offset from the center of the Bronco.

The Hollywood Rack and the Thule don't line up perfectly, and I ended up interlocking the two, where the Hollywood was against the tire on top, and the Thule was against the tire on the bottom.

The front crossbar of the Thule (closest to the tire) does not sit inside the bike mount, it sits above it. I was still able to pull the rubber locking strap over the crossbar and attach it. The rear crossbar does sit in the bike mount, you just have to move both bike mounts back a bit to line them up. They are friction fit, so you can move them to where they need to be with a bit of elbow grease.

I also did not like that two bolt heads from the Thule rack were sitting on the sidewall of the spare, so I added a temporary piece of mitered plywood so that they wouldn't be rubbing on the tire. This is just a temporary fix until the Hollywood Racks SR1 Extra Long Adjustment Bold Set shows up, as it comes with two rubber bumpers that I will be putting over the bolt heads. I did attach the wood to the Thule with some screws so that it wouldn't fall out if I hit a big bump.

If you have a SAS build, or upgraded your tires, you will need the long adjustment bolt set to even get it set up. If you have stock tires, the Hollywood rack will fit over your tire, but I recommend the longer bolts anyways.

Overall, I'm very happy with the performance, it handles highway speeds with zero issues, and watching it in the rear view it doesn't look like it moves much at all when I hit bigger bumps in the road. I am slightly less happy with the looks, but I do plan on drilling new holes in the Hollywood to raise the bike bars to allow it to fit together without interlocking, which means that the entire rack will sit flush with the tire.

I feel comfortable putting up to four pairs of skis or two snowboards in the rack, as it's rated to over 70 lbs, but if you have multiple oversized skis or more than four pairs, I would add a tailgate reinforcement plate to the build.

Hopefully this helps someone who is looking for a solution this ski season, and I'd love to hear feedback or suggestions you have for a cleaner look!

Side note: I do have ski sleeves to keep the road grime off my skis/bindings, I just threw some thrift skis in for the photos.

Ford Bronco Solution for Bike/Ski rack for soft tops without a hitch A3BDEDF6-E998-4926-B905-E48032DB1B33

Thank you for the detailed post and pictures! I just got my BL with 33” and while I did get roof rails w crossbars, I’m still trying to figure out the ski rack situation since putting them on top is just not that feasible.
How is yours holding up?

OP
OP

jolson1228

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank

Thank you for the detailed post and pictures! I just got my BL with 33” and while I did get roof rails w crossbars, I’m still trying to figure out the ski rack situation since putting them on top is just not that feasible.
How is yours holding up?
It's holding up great! A couple of trips in at highway speeds and bumpy roads, it's rock solid.

If you could do a sliding ski rack on the roof like the Kuat Grip 6, that would probably be a better option just because it would protect the skis better from rocks and road grime. I feel like I will need to replace my ski bags once or twice a season, but it's a small price to pay to save my skis and bindings!

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seems like an awesome way to negate any tune that you may have on your skis, and to compromise your DIN setting.
Sponsored