First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2Dr, Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Base
I turned a 1up bike rack into a ski rack for the back. I copied the approach from here.

My differences are:
  • I have a two-bike rack, so I left one rack in. That works perfect becase I can carry my fatbike in the winter.
  • I used 1515 instead of 4040 extrusions (they're about the same).
  • I added extra lights that connect to the hitch plug (this plus this). The lights don't fit in the bracket very well, so I added zip ties.
It was about $250 in supplies.

We also have the Kuat Pivot v2. My happiest surprise is that we can load skis when in the vertical position. I thought we'd have to drop the rack to the horizontal position to load them. The first set of skis holds in against the spare tire well enough, so I can stack a second pair.

Here are pictures after our first day skiing. The do get covered in road spray, so I need to get a small tarp.

Ford Bronco Hitch ski rack made for a 1up bike rack IMG-0731

Ford Bronco Hitch ski rack made for a 1up bike rack IMG-0733
Sponsored

ou812545

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E60 M5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I turned a 1up bike rack into a ski rack for the back. I copied the approach from here.

My differences are:
  • I have a two-bike rack, so I left one rack in. That works perfect becase I can carry my fatbike in the winter.
  • I added extra lights that connect to the hitch plug (this plus this). The lights don't fit in the bracket very well, so I added zip ties.

We also have the Kuat Pivot v2. My happiest surprise is that we can load skis when in the vertical position. I thought we'd have to drop the rack to the horizontal position to load them. The first set of skis holds in against the spare tire well enough, so I can stack a second pair.

Here are pictures after our first day skiing. The do get covered in road spray, so I need to get a small tarp.

This is great! Thanks for sharing this idea. I watched the youtube video as well. Would you be able to provide full parts list with links?

Thank you!

OP
OP
tshort

tshort

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2Dr, Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Base
So far, the rack is working well for skis and for my fat bike. I found the following records of my order from 8020.net. I also bought a few more T nuts from Amazon (B08MSY8LBT). I can't remember if I needed anything else from the hardware store.

Item Number - Description
Price
Qty
SKU: 13025

M8 Self-Aligning Slide-in T-Nut

$6.90​
3​
2030-Plain
SKU: 2030-Plain

15 Series End Cap with Push-In Fastener

$13.32​
6​
SKU: 3203

15 Series 5/16-18 Standard Slide-In T-Nut

$13.92​
12​
75-3638
SKU: 75-3638

M8 x 30.00mm Drop-In T-Slot Stud with Flanged Hex Nut

$5.43​
3​
SKU: 33450

Hidden Corner Connector: Inside-Inside

$15.12​
2​
4340-Black
SKU: 4340-Black

15 Series & Ready Tube 5 Hole - Tee Flat Plate

$30.42​
2​
1515-Black
SKU: 1515-Black

1.50” X 1.50” T-Slotted Profile - Four Open T-Slots
$36.18​
2​
Length - 15 Inches (381 Millimeters) x $1.02
Cut To Length - 1 x $2.79​
Unit Of Measurement Inches​
1515-Black

$37.47​
1​
Length - 34 Inches (863.6 Millimeters) x $1.02
SKU: 3411

5/16-18 x .750" Flat Head Socket Cap Screw (FHSCS)

ou812545

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E60 M5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So far, the rack is working well for skis and for my fat bike. I found the following records of my order from 8020.net. I also bought a few more T nuts from Amazon (B08MSY8LBT). I can't remember if I needed anything else from the hardware store.

Item Number - Description
Price
Qty
SKU: 13025

M8 Self-Aligning Slide-in T-Nut

$6.90​
3​
2030-Plain
SKU: 2030-Plain

15 Series End Cap with Push-In Fastener

$13.32​
6​
SKU: 3203

15 Series 5/16-18 Standard Slide-In T-Nut

$13.92​
12​
75-3638
SKU: 75-3638

M8 x 30.00mm Drop-In T-Slot Stud with Flanged Hex Nut

$5.43​
3​
SKU: 33450

Hidden Corner Connector: Inside-Inside

$15.12​
2​
4340-Black
SKU: 4340-Black

15 Series & Ready Tube 5 Hole - Tee Flat Plate

$30.42​
2​
1515-Black

$36.18​
2​
Length - 15 Inches (381 Millimeters) x $1.02
1515-Black

$37.47​
1​
Length - 34 Inches (863.6 Millimeters) x $1.02
SKU: 3411

5/16-18 x .750" Flat Head Socket Cap Screw (FHSCS)
This is perfect. Thank you!

Ohnoohnoooo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My differences are:

Very cool. Do they get slushed up? I also have the Kuat Puvot2, currently figuring out which bike rack to get. Which do you have and do you recommend?

Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

My differences are:

I see your Super 7's! Big boy skis. Just got 7 ft. in the last four days. 3 ft. more coming this weekend. Oh and the Bronco is the most capable car up here!

Ford Bronco Hitch ski rack made for a 1up bike rack IMG_5922

ou812545

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E60 M5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I see your Super 7's! Big boy skis. Just got 7 ft. in the last four days. 3 ft. more coming this weekend. Oh and the Bronco is the most capable car up here!

Ford Bronco Hitch ski rack made for a 1up bike rack IMG_5922
What ski rack setup do you have? Is that mounted to the spare tire? Please share...

OP
OP
tshort

tshort

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2Dr, Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Very cool. Do they get slushed up? I also have the Kuat Puvot2, currently figuring out which bike rack to get. Which do you have and do you recommend?
They do get road spray. I started using a small tarp to cover them. That's easier than trying to wash the skis. The bike rack is a 1up; I think the model is the heavy-duty double.

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are going to carry your skis on the back of your Bronco, you better put them into ski bags first. All the road spray, i.e., salt, sand and fine grit will get into your bindings and damage them. Let alone the rust on your edges and such.
I use a roof mounted ski rack made by Yakima and I still use ski bags due to all the spray they get up top. On the back of a vehicle, it is ten times worse.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is a cheap solution to the problem.

Say no to lifts and alpine bindings.

Ford Bronco Hitch ski rack made for a 1up bike rack 38ED2068-1BBC-4392-AC84-A232ADCDA1D8

Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the answer we all need @pakrat

Been trying to find a spare mounted solution all season!
Sorry, I meant to post some detail pics earlier. I made it myself.

Super simple and light. It's dumping snow right now and as soon as it backs off I will snap some pictures. If you have a basic welder it should take less than an hour to make (or just buy your buddy with a welder a 12 pack and let him do it. The welding will take 15 minutes or less). If you have a set of any old ski racks laying around it is basically free (or go buy a used set off craigslist). You can always remove the racks from the mount pretty fast and put them on crossbars for other vehicle use later. It literally takes 30 seconds to take on and off and is super light weight but strong. I wouldn't go beyond 2 - 3 pairs of skis for weight consideration on the stock spare tire carrier but you could easily do 3 -4 if you get one of the tailgate reinforcements out there.

ou812545

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E60 M5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing the pictures once it stops dumping in Tahoe.

jimmy1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry, I meant to post some detail pics earlier. I made it myself.

Super simple and light. It's dumping snow right now and as soon as it backs off I will snap some pictures. If you have a basic welder it should take less than an hour to make (or just buy your buddy with a welder a 12 pack and let him do it. The welding will take 15 minutes or less). If you have a set of any old ski racks laying around it is basically free (or go buy a used set off craigslist). You can always remove the racks from the mount pretty fast and put them on crossbars for other vehicle use later. It literally takes 30 seconds to take on and off and is super light weight but strong. I wouldn't go beyond 2 - 3 pairs of skis for weight consideration on the stock spare tire carrier but you could easily do 3 -4 if you get one of the tailgate reinforcements out there.
Hey did you post more about your ski rack? Definitely the best solution I've seen

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey did you post more about your ski rack? Definitely the best solution I've seen
I might nit have done a follow up. Snow has already started flying here so I'm going to make a slight modification to make is more user friendly. Will post the changes and detailed pics soon.
Sponsored