First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Took delivery of my Bronco Big Bend last week and installed Draw-Tite Hitch DT37GR (from etrailer). Elegant solution: reciever extends far enough to install bike rack (1UP) without extender. Can access tailgate without needing a pivot/ swing-away by tilting rack down to clear spare tire.

IMG20221222124640.jpg

IMG20221222142757.jpg
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That's really neat.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is an excellent solution.

My question is whether the Draw-Tite hitch sticks out that far all the time, or just for this application?

OP
OP

JT01

Big Bend
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The receiver sticks out about 3/4 of the width of the spare tire (BB OEM). It sticks out far less than the spare. Itā€™s actually useful to rest foot when changing shoesā€¦

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
1. The rack is $400 and I am looking at racks that are 1/2 that cost and hold multiple bikes. The negative of my cheap solution is that it will require removal of the rack (with tools) to fully open the tailgate. I have a two door, so I have no other easy access to the back. I am going to have to invest in a double 19mm wrench/ratchet set to keep in the bronco all the times to try to stay sane with this on/off problem.

I guess you can see that I am trying to justify the extra expense. Do you keep the rack on on all/most of the time?

2. Can you provide a picture of the door fully open with the rack on? Trying to see how that looks.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JT01

Big Bend
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a bike on my car about once a week. A better rack like the 1up is easy to attach & remove (no wrestling), and tray bike mount (s) are far more stable than less expensive solutions. Kuat or 1up both excellent. I only have the rack mounted days I'm transporting a bike (s). If your use infrequently or don't have expensive bikes, a more basic solution might be better. I've had the 1up for 4 years. I had cheaper before.

Wickedbronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very awesome. Do you find yourself hitting your knee on it when the hatch is open? The only other downside I see if rear approach angle off-roading.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

1. The rack is $400 and I am looking at racks that are 1/2 that cost and hold multiple bikes. The negative of my cheap solution is that it will require removal of the rack (with tools) to fully open the tailgate. I have a two door, so I have no other easy access to the back. I am going to have to invest in a double 19mm wrench/ratchet set to keep in the bronco all the times to try to stay sane with this on/off problem.

I guess you can see that I am trying to justify the extra expense. Do you keep the rack on on all/most of the time?

2. Can you provide a picture of the door fully open with the rack on? Trying to see how that looks.
I've had my 1up rack since 2011 and it still works as good as new. Highly recommend them. It's expensive up front, but it will last forever.

OP
OP

JT01

Big Bend
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Very awesome. Do you find yourself hitting your knee on it when the hatch is open? The only other downside I see if rear approach angle off-roading.
It's not in the way (doesn't stick out far). It's actually convenient for changing out of cycling shoes sitting in the back.

Lemo

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scheduled 2022 BL CO manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I just ordered the Draw Tite and Thule Apex 5. I love the 1up but am a family of 4 with the 5th on the way. Total cost was $500 with hitch. I figure that if i find myself leaving the rack on the Bronco, I can get the Kuat pivot to access the back.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JT01

Big Bend
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just ordered the Draw Tite and Thule Apex 5. I love the 1up but am a family of 4 with the 5th on the way. Total cost was $500 with hitch. I figure that if i find myself leaving the rack on the Bronco, I can get the Kuat pivot to access the back.
TBD if that rack will tilt down enough to clear tailgate. I have a 2 door, so itā€™s essential I have easy access to rear.

Lemo

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scheduled 2022 BL CO manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TBD if that rack will tilt down enough to clear tailgate. I have a 2 door, so itā€™s essential I have easy access to rear.
I bet youā€™re right on the tilt, making the addition of the Kuat pivot a necessity if I were to keep it on the Bronco. It would become a install/use/uninstall every time, which might be real annoying. I see the Thule Apex going on my wifeā€™s Pilot more often, with the ski rack attachment providing some flexibility in the future. This would give me time to save and build out the 1up 4 bike platform šŸ˜€. I should have everything delivered and installed in the coming week or so. Fingers crossed. Question, how does it look when folded up? Does it look like it would clear the back up camera if you added all 4 bike platforms, or is it to tight against the tire to store in the up position without an extension?

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bet youā€™re right on the tilt, making the addition of the Kuat pivot a necessity if I were to keep it on the Bronco. It would become a install/use/uninstall every time, which might be real annoying. I see the Thule Apex going on my wifeā€™s Pilot more often, with the ski rack attachment providing some flexibility in the future. This would give me time to save and build out the 1up 4 bike platform šŸ˜€. I should have everything delivered and installed in the coming week or so. Fingers crossed. Question, how does it look when folded up? Does it look like it would clear the back up camera if you added all 4 bike platforms, or is it to tight against the tire to store in the up position without an extension?
I just figured out that you can ask 1up to reverse the side plates (so it goes down instead of up) and fully open the door! There is a Jeep owner with 37ā€ tires on YouTube that showed that he can even open his tailgate door (partially) WITH THE BIKE ON! No need for a swing out.

This will reduce the clearance in the back, but if you are going with the bike, the bike is going over that step trail, not your Bronco.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JT01

Big Bend
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There is an advantage to keeping bikes as high above the road if possible (road spray doesnā€™t hit) if you go fat biking or transport bikes in rain. I didnā€™t realize this until I got the bronco (after having a crosstrek and Audi wagon before)ā€¦bikes stay a lot more clean on the bronco.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is an advantage to keeping bikes as high above the road if possible (road spray doesnā€™t hit) if you go fat biking or transport bikes in rain. I didnā€™t realize this until I got the bronco (after having a crosstrek and Audi wagon before)ā€¦bikes stay a lot more clean on the bronco.
I just went to the garage to try to figure out of my tailgate door would open. I have got about 5 inches between the bottom of my spare and the bottom of my bumper. I have a 30" tire. If I had a 33" tire, I would lose another 1.5". There are two sets of relevant dimensions in the 1-up rack (see images): 4.6" for the super duty single and 5.2" for the quick rack (maybe more like like 4.5" based on the placement of hitch adapter (looks like it pushes the smaller hitch DOWN, gaining 3/4" of an Inch).

Would really love to know if your wheel rubs the top of the rack when tilted down or if you can open the door fully. The answer to the question will determine what I order.

Ford Bronco Draw-Tite Hitch & 1UP Bike Rack Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 9.54.28 PM

Ford Bronco Draw-Tite Hitch & 1UP Bike Rack Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 9.56.59 PM

Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 11.16.29 PM.png
Sponsored

Last edited: