Sponsored

HELP! Ordering the 1UP Hitch Bike Rack with the LONG Draw-Tite (from UHAUL)

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
HELP!

I just need validation for what I am doing. And let me know if I have any blind spots in my analysis.

I am getting single 1UP hitch rack PLUS an add on bike tray (so I can hold 2 bikes) with a Draw-Tite LONG hitch (installed from UHAUL, it sticks out about 4 inches under the spare tire). Image of rack shown. Source: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-single-bike-rack/. $210 for the hitch plus another $700 for the rack plus add on tray for the second bike.

- I am not expecting to need an extender or swing away for the bike rack even though I have to clear the spare tire
- I expect to be able to open the rear door with the bike off and the rack in the down position.
- It looks more "custom fit" than any other rack with the spare tire that I have seen. Let's face it, I am vain. I think it will look good enough for me to just keep it on in the summer all the time.
- Someone said "buy once, cry once". I am certainly crying over this $900+ expense. Hopefully this saying is true.

Considerations:
- I could have DIYed the Draw-Tite Hitch, but for about $70 more. I am getting installation, no need to buy or rent a torque wrench and UHAUL is giving me a lifetime warranty that includes rust and even if the rack gets hit. Seems worth it, as the install would include finagling bolts and making sure that I can make that torque wrench work with limited clearance. I am already DIY-ing for my pinch seam weld and side steps, so I am "saving" money there.
- I was considering a Kuat double rack at HALF the price of my 1Up set up, but it would be heavier, take up more room and am not sure if it will fold down enough to open the door fully. Plus its capacity per bike is less than 50lbs. Though my two bikes are less than 50lbs, maybe they won't be in the future and also I would rather have something over-engineered that could literally fly off the back of my Bronco.
- The "long hitch" will stick out and maybe I will damage my fragile shin. On the other hand, I do often need to tie my shoes when going for a walk, and this seems like the perfect place to do that.
- I could have saved $60 and got the "Quik" Rack from 1Up. However, it uses an adapter (from the 1.25 inch hitch) and a Velcro strap back up thing that does not inspire confidence with me. Anyone get that one for a Bronco? Would love to know.

What do you think? Did I make the right choice? As a Scorpio, I need validation from others to justify my decisions. I will keep you posted as to how it turns out.

Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 9.11.41 AM.png
Sponsored

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You didn't give us enough information. I don't know what your hitch or extender looks like. I have a regular hitch and a 7" hitch extender that I use with my 1up rack. I can open the rear if I drop it down.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last edited:

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depending on your spare tire size that might not be long enough. I’ll go measure mine.

Sponsored

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You didn't give us enough information. I don't know what your hitch or extender looks like. I have a regular hitch and a 7" hitch extender that I use with my 1up rack. I can open the rear if I drop it down.
If the extension had a 2" drop, would it let the swing gate open when the rack is in normal "in use" position?

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have ordered the LONG HITCH and will put it in myself. The Local UHAUL installer guy quit.
Got myself a new tool too... a Torque Wrench.
I will let everyone know how it went with the NEW 1up Bike Rack and the new Trek E-Bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
If the extension had a 2" drop, would it let the swing gate open when the rack is in normal "in use" position?
Not sure. There is some geometry there where the rack goes UP from where it attaches to the hitch. You can special order the plates reversed to make it go down, but that would impact clearance in the back.

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Worked here (perhaps it will extend a little further than 4"?
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/draw-tite-hitch-1up-bike-rack.61901/
I think you'll probably be fine. The 1Up doesn't just have a hole for the hitch pin to go through, it has a slot so you can adjust how far it's extended. The question I have in the thread you linked is whether there is truly enough room to flip the rack when not carrying the bike. The guy in that other thread just said he only had the rack attached when carrying a bike. I think if you stick with the stock base wheels you'd be ok, but if you get a wider spare tire you may need a hitch extension.

Sponsored

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In the thread you linked look at this diagram. Look at "storage position" and see where the edge of the rack is in relation to the end of the plates. Looks like .4" (3.5" minus 3.1").
Ford Bronco HELP! Ordering the 1UP Hitch Bike Rack with the LONG Draw-Tite (from UHAUL) 1680808958649

Now look at this pic of the rack installed. The edge of the rack plates looks like they are more than .4" under the tire. However, that rack is inserted into the extension as far as possible. With the slot I think there will be just enough flexibility to pull the rack out a bit so you can flip it up when you don't have bikes on it.
Ford Bronco HELP! Ordering the 1UP Hitch Bike Rack with the LONG Draw-Tite (from UHAUL) 1680809086008

mingya

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2014 Monster 1200, 1994 Hiace 4WD (soon)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 1Up (double w/ two add ons) is on an extender with a drop. Will get a picture later on and post with some rough measurements of extension and drop. Going from my memory only at the moment, extension was needed for me to fold rack up when not in use and clear the spare, and the drop allowed me to open the tailgate and clear the rack when rack is down (no bikes on).

mingya

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2014 Monster 1200, 1994 Hiace 4WD (soon)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 1Up (double w/ two add ons) is on an extender with a drop. Will get a picture later on and post with some rough measurements of extension and drop. Going from my memory only at the moment, extension was needed for me to fold rack up when not in use and clear the spare, and the drop allowed me to open the tailgate and clear the rack when rack is down (no bikes on).

Update with pics and some actual measurements. Extension is about 10.5", drop is 6" CTC. tailgate clears by more than an inch I'd say. I remembered on the ride home that this set up was in place on my wrangler pre-bronco and was just carried over, and luckily worked out just fine.

20230406_173048.jpg

20230406_173103.jpg

20230406_173123.jpg

20230406_173134.jpg

20230406_173210.jpg

20230406_173222.jpg

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know you didn’t ask for this at all, and I apologize, but you could just buy a Kuat pivot. Love mine. I think Yakima makes one too.

Ford Bronco HELP! Ordering the 1UP Hitch Bike Rack with the LONG Draw-Tite (from UHAUL) 20230406_173222

Ford Bronco HELP! Ordering the 1UP Hitch Bike Rack with the LONG Draw-Tite (from UHAUL) 20230406_173222

Like what you got. Looks like a great setup!

It is too much hardware for me. I am looking for an easy on/off piece that I can literally put in the limited space in the back of my Bronco when I am not using it. I just got the 1up boxes (have not opened it yet). BOTH the rack and the add on for a second bike fit in the back with the seats up.
Sponsored