Sponsored

Bike rack (in the hitch) recommendations?

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’ll post some photos but I just installed the RockyMounts BackStage and their 8” hitch extension. Swings away to the passenger side and with the extension it easily clears the 35” spare. No rattle or wobble whatsoever and the whole thing feels really solid. A little more plastic than the 1up but very happy with it so far.
Sponsored

mnaylo3

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 Scab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1up and ask them for "reverse plates" and you'll be able to fold the rack down and open the swing gate with the bike still on.

IMG_1807.jpeg
It looks from the drawings like a single tray with reversed side plates would clear the spare/swing gate when folded up for storage (no bike, fully folded up). Can you confirm? This would be ideal for me - I could leave the single tray on all the time with no impact on day-to-day usage of the swing gate. Then bolt on an extra tray when my wife wants to join.
Thanks!

elbroncodor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tacoma w/ long travel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It looks from the drawings like a single tray with reversed side plates would clear the spare/swing gate when folded up for storage (no bike, fully folded up). Can you confirm? This would be ideal for me - I could leave the single tray on all the time with no impact on day-to-day usage of the swing gate. Then bolt on an extra tray when my wife wants to join.
Thanks!
Correct. With no bike it clears fine, you're good to leave it on all the time. With bike, goes as far as the pic.

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thought I’d throw my setup out there. Kuat Sherpa 2.0, Kuat Hi Low riser. Can open door clean when no bike is on by tilting rack down. Can open almost 45 degrees with bike on inside tray and tilted down. Looks slick too.

3CADDBA5-5882-49C4-856E-4F56EB69C63F.jpeg

7832A329-92C4-4AA6-BA52-DF32D9916079.jpeg

6D4690B6-0304-4503-86DE-7FF543ED6BF8.jpeg

Sponsored

Macloven

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500e, Svartpilen 401
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll post some photos but I just installed the RockyMounts BackStage and their 8” hitch extension. Swings away to the passenger side and with the extension it easily clears the 35” spare. No rattle or wobble whatsoever and the whole thing feels really solid. A little more plastic than the 1up but very happy with it so far.
any updates On the install, issues, quality etc? Thanks, mark

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
any updates On the install, issues, quality etc? Thanks, mark
My Bronco has been in the shop the last couple weeks getting the engine replaced…for a second time. So I haven’t been able to use the rack much. But the couple times I used it, I really liked it. Install was pretty straightforward, no issues with threads on bolts or anything like that. It’s very solid, no wobble at all even with the 8” extension. I like it better than the Thule rack on my wife’s car. It’s a little work to unlock the swing mechanism, but I think that’s also why it doesn’t wobble.

Ford Bronco Bike rack (in the hitch) recommendations? FFE6C45D-2460-4A56-B6F5-05D9B0D5DA70
Ford Bronco Bike rack (in the hitch) recommendations? CE8C49AC-4079-4B56-A530-1B6B79D4DF1D
Ford Bronco Bike rack (in the hitch) recommendations? 52CFD449-6562-4F00-84C2-259D34D2AA87
Ford Bronco Bike rack (in the hitch) recommendations? 8461677C-850E-4D56-A275-7625759AE67C

sirvegetable

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I simply LOVE my 1up! No plastic parts to get brittle and crack or fade over time, no swaying & ZERO noises or rattles with or without bike. Shown with hitch extension to clear spare tire. I think 1up goes up to 4 bikes max.

Ford Bronco Bike rack (in the hitch) recommendations? 8461677C-850E-4D56-A275-7625759AE67C

I think I'm going to get the same setup. Just to confirm, you have the 1up extender and that is fine to clear the spare on squatch? In the one photo it looks like maybe the rack is bumping up against the spare when its folded.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think I'm going to get the same setup. Just to confirm, you have the 1up extender and that is fine to clear the spare on squatch? In the one photo it looks like maybe the rack is bumping up against the spare when its folded.
I have it setup so that the rack JUST BARELY touches the tire when folded. I figure it might help avoid any chance of a rattle or wobble.

There is still additional room in the setup to insert the rack "shallower" or further rearward if you don't want any contact when folded.

Having said all that, I have not noticed ANY sway or rattle from this setup even with my 50lb emtb onboard so my idea of having it touch the tire slightly is probably just my weird OCD.

sirvegetable

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have it setup so that the rack JUST BARELY touches the tire when folded. I figure it might help avoid any chance of a rattle or wobble.

There is still additional room in the setup to insert the rack "shallower" or further rearward if you don't want any contact when folded.

Having said all that, I have not noticed ANY sway or rattle from this setup even with my 50lb emtb onboard so my idea of having it touch the tire slightly is probably just my weird OCD.
Perfect! I know what you mean about eliminating any chance for sway. It bugs me too. thanks!! I'll be getting this setup too.

Sponsored

Azflyfish

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for this and others on the thread - you guys saved me a ton of time and worry. My kuat pivot and 1up rack arrived this week and fit perfectly.

I'm looking to get this exact same set up. Are you able to use the lock pin that comes with the pivot? With the Ford trailer hitch it doesn't look like they leave a whole lot of room for a lock pin.

EasternShore

Outer Banks
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB S550 Cabrio, Dodge Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm looking to get this exact same set up. Are you able to use the lock pin that comes with the pivot? With the Ford trailer hitch it doesn't look like they leave a whole lot of room for a lock pin.
If you mean the pin to lock the Kuat to the Ford trailer hitch, the answer is yes but I have to put the pin in from the left side and its takes some fine finger motor skills (I mounted the brake light connector bracket on my hitch even though I don’t have the wiring - it makes the space even tighter and i would remove it if it was any more prohibitive) - and the lock portion needs to be on the right side so it can be accessed.

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

RucRak. It does use the hitch for weight distribution. I wouldn't use full time for a lot of bike excursions, but for the many different things we do for extra storage it's great.

20220821_123536.jpg

Utah Sherpa

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I did the 1UP family of three bought their hitch extender for vehicles with spear tire on back. There are two hole in the extender you can use if you want it farther away from spare. Just order all the locks you think you will need at time of purchase so they are keyed the same. They make a great cable lock also.

IMG_7080.jpeg

IMG_7081.jpeg

IMG_7082.jpeg

IMG_7083.jpeg

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got a like-new Kuat Sherpa 2.0 on a straight hitch extension.

It does not clear on tilt down, the 33” rubber ever so slightly touches.

IMG_5161.jpeg
IMG_5171.jpeg
IMG_5173.jpeg
IMG_5166.jpeg
Sponsored