First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Trying to find a good solution for a ski rack for the Bronco. I don’t have the roof rails and ideally wouldn’t want to get them because they hinder top access. I was thinking about a swing away tow hitch mount system but I don’t know what would work best and if there any system that allows the tailgate to still open. If anyone can share their solutions for ski/snowboard carriers that’d be super helpful.
Sponsored

X-Rack

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Our Flex Wing Carrier is hitch mounted and can be used with or without our cargo racks. You can hold a variety of equipment and simply change out the accessories for seasonal use. The wings are adjustable and more can be added. It tilts back to clear tailgate or if it is on our cargo rack, the door will clear the cargo deck with cargo removed. You can also mount it to a swing out hitch arm like the Kuat Pivot. Let me know if you have any questions. https://www.xrack.us/product/flex-wing-accessory-carrier/
Ford Bronco Ski Rack options / solutions? IMG_0082
Ford Bronco Ski Rack options / solutions? IMG_0218
Ford Bronco Ski Rack options / solutions? IMG_0072
Ford Bronco Ski Rack options / solutions? IMG_0220
Ford Bronco Ski Rack options / solutions? IMG_0222
Ford Bronco Ski Rack options / solutions? IMG_0224

Photo Dec 31, 5 30 20 PM.jpg

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you are at all serious about skiing you should rethink a rack, and instead get a box for the top, put them inside of your vehicle, or at a minimum inside of a ski bag if on a rack.

Road grit is not your ski’s friend - either from a performance or safety standpoint.

Last edited:

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trying to find a good solution for a ski rack for the Bronco. I don’t have the roof rails and ideally wouldn’t want to get them because they hinder top access. I was thinking about a swing away tow hitch mount system but I don’t know what would work best and if there any system that allows the tailgate to still open. If anyone can share their solutions for ski/snowboard carriers that’d be super helpful.
With our full roof rack, you can still take the front two panels off as well as the middle panel. You can mount the Yakima FatCat Evo line or the Yakima FreshTrack line on our rack. The Yakima SkyBoxes will also mount up to our rack if you do not want your skis/snowboards exposed to the elements!

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
With our full roof rack, you can still take the front two panels off as well as the middle panel. You can mount the Yakima FatCat Evo line or the Yakima FreshTrack line on our rack. The Yakima SkyBoxes will also mount up to our rack if you do not want your skis/snowboards exposed to the elements!
I am very happy with my TrailRax system. I never notice it, or think about it. It just provides perfect utility - which is what I look for in a piece of gear. All of my Thule pieces fit on it perfectly.

That being said, my skis go in a SkiGuard box on top of the Audi, with FIS skis also going in a bag.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
or use a ski binding cover while on the rack. I'm still looking for a a solution that goes on the tire...they use to make for a jeep. Skis are vertically in a rack that attaches to tire.

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
or use a ski binding cover while on the rack. I'm still looking for a a solution that goes on the tire...they use to make for a jeep. Skis are vertically in a rack that attaches to tire.
Then there is the issue of your tune.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Easiest way to spot a flatlander with no clue is having their ski/board equipment exposed to magcloride and road salt on a rack.

Exposed ski gear is the best way to trash your edges and wax job. Get it in a coffin box, a gear bag, or put it inside the rig.

Take care of your gear.

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wax and sharpen often. I don’t like the skis banging against each other in a box either. Can’t be good for the edges. I only use a rack with full occupancy otherwise in a bag inside or on a plane in a bag, or carry boots and rent at resort.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wax and sharpen often. I don’t like the skis banging against each other in a box either. Can’t be good for the edges. I only use a rack with full occupancy otherwise in a bag inside or on a plane in a bag, or carry boots and rent at resort.
What?

How do you pack that they are "banging" into each other while in a coffin box? More pressing, how erratically do you drive that this is even an issue?

Strap them sticks together I guess... This is a problem I didn't know people had.

Sponsored

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Use an old yoga mat in the box. This is one of the reasons why my FIS skis go in a bag in the box. If you are using appropriate ski straps that keep the bases of pair separated that will mitigate abrasion.

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What?

How do you pack that they are "banging" into each other while in a coffin box? More pressing, how erratically do you drive that this is even an issue?

Strap them sticks together I guess... This is a problem I didn't know people had.
The Thule box I had was hard plastic bottom and ski’s didn’t seem very secure from sliding around and having edges hit each other 4-5 pairs and poles it’s got a lot in there. Anyway, us flat landers travel by plane mostly for good skiing.
Never had a vehicle with a ski pass through..that would have been nice in the Bronco.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Thule box I had was hard plastic bottom and ski’s didn’t seem very secure from sliding around and having edges hit each other 4-5 pairs and poles it’s got a lot in there. Anyway, us flat landers travel by plane mostly for good skiing.
Never had a vehicle with a ski pass through..that would have been nice in the Bronco.
Solid answer. Forgive my shit talking. No harm intended.

I forget who makes them but they sell "ski socks" that go over your skis and keep them from banging into eachother.

Equally, some spray adhesive and some carpet on the interior is always a good call for a new storage box.

Also, a quality coffin box like a thule product should have straps inside of it for just this purpose. Or maybe that was my dad's creation.... either way, happy skiing my man!

mikes781

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Kind of expensive for what they are but here is an option for boxes. Just picked up a Thule Motion XT XXL for my skis and may try these. That or a yoga mat on the bottom and the skis in bags. For local (1-2 hour) trips will probably just throw them in the back and maybe see if I can strap them down just in case.

https://www.skiblocks.com

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Solid answer. Forgive my shit talking. No harm intended.

I forget who makes them but they sell "ski socks" that go over your skis and keep them from banging into eachother.

Equally, some spray adhesive and some carpet on the interior is always a good call for a new storage box.

Also, a quality coffin box like a thule product should have straps inside of it for just this purpose. Or maybe that was my dad's creation.... either way, happy skiing my man!
No problem….also seen my kids and wife struggling with a box and drop, lean skis against vehicles. Edges do wonders for paint jobs. Last vehicle had a tonneau cover..that was easy. Have a good ski season!
Sponsored