Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr 2.3 Auto, Porsche Cayenne Diesel Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I installed the TrailRax 2dr half rack on my Big Bend a few weeks ago and posted this thread https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/trailrax-half-rack-on-2-door-installed-first-photos.83525/

Today I installed the Kuat Grip 6 ski rack onto the half rack. I got the Grip 6 because the bottom of the rack slides out to make loading skis easier as the roof is fairly high up. The rack was pretty easy to install and once done, can be removed by flipping only four cam levers. For ease of installation, I tensioned the grippers onto the crossbars before attaching them to the rack.

The rack can hold three pairs of skis when loading with the bindings up. If the bindings are facing down (two skis together) the bindings stick down too far to pass over the outside rail of the half rack. If you lift your skis over the outside rail of the half rack you could get six pairs of skis on.

Ford Bronco Kuat Grip 6 Ski Rack Installed on TrailRax 2Dr Half Rack IMG_6358
Ford Bronco Kuat Grip 6 Ski Rack Installed on TrailRax 2Dr Half Rack IMG_6359
Ford Bronco Kuat Grip 6 Ski Rack Installed on TrailRax 2Dr Half Rack IMG_6360
Ford Bronco Kuat Grip 6 Ski Rack Installed on TrailRax 2Dr Half Rack IMG_6361
Ford Bronco Kuat Grip 6 Ski Rack Installed on TrailRax 2Dr Half Rack IMG_6362
Ford Bronco Kuat Grip 6 Ski Rack Installed on TrailRax 2Dr Half Rack IMG_6364
Ford Bronco Kuat Grip 6 Ski Rack Installed on TrailRax 2Dr Half Rack IMG_6365
Sponsored

Mainer

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Subaru Impreza Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi, thanks for posting this.
2 questions:
1) can you put the skis together and fit 4 pair? Just noticed the last picture!
2) how much height does the roof rack and ski rack add in total?
Thanks, I’ve been looking at options…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mtea

Mtea

Big Bend
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr 2.3 Auto, Porsche Cayenne Diesel Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Mainer if you put two skis together, one binding down the other facing up, you can get six pairs of skis up there. The Grip 4 holds four pairs. If you do that, the downward facing binding won’t clear the side of the half rack (see last picture) when you go to pull out the bottom part of the ski rack. That said, you could pull out the tray, put up the first pair, push the tray in, and put up another pair. If you load the skis side by side all bindings up you can pull the tray all the way out, load, then push them in.

When empty and closed, including the TrailRax half rack, the top of the ski rack is 8” higher than the MIC top. The ski rack does have a nifty spring on the hinge end that allows it to open wider when closed if doubled up skis are put in. This way doubled up skis and also a thin snowboard will be secure. So when loaded with doubled up skis the total distance of the ski rack above the MIC top is 8 3/4”. That doesn’t include however far your bindings might stick up beyond the rack so probably not all that helpful. My bindings add another 2” or so above the rack. See the pic below compared to the first pic above.
Ford Bronco Kuat Grip 6 Ski Rack Installed on TrailRax 2Dr Half Rack IMG_6366

Mainer

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Subaru Impreza Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs