Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, I didnt realize the tent opened to the side! So since its a matter of inches, and I was guessing the overhangs, the rain stopped and i went out and measured the overhang. You have about 26.5" of span from the outer edge of the two brackets. And if the tent opens off to the side, and its only 48" wide, thats 6" overhang front and back of the rack. It you used the side saddles for additional capacity . . . Email @TrailRax and ask the weight capacity of the half-rack with the PakRax side-brackets installed. The downside is no place to put the mid-panel (I put mine on the half-rack). I think I might do a tent like yours if the weight capacity was adequate . . . Your tent would prevent the 2row skyrider from opening, but the one-row skyrider would work great in that application, perhaps.

Whats the name of your tent?

Screenshot_20231012_135410_Gallery.jpg
We rate the half rack at 150 pounds dynamic and 300 pounds static evenly distributed. That being said, we do not recommend mounting an RTT to the half rack. We only recommend mounting tents to the full rack because it has the extra support of the windshield mounting brackets. These tie into the studs under the caps at the top of your windshield that say "accessory ready"!
Sponsored

paleh0rse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco and others
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, I didnt realize the tent opened to the side! So since its a matter of inches, and I was guessing the overhangs, the rain stopped and i went out and measured the overhang. You have about 26.5" of span from the outer edge of the two brackets. And if the tent opens off to the side, and its only 48" wide, thats 6" overhang front and back of the rack. It you used the side saddles for additional capacity . . . Email @TrailRax and ask the weight capacity of the half-rack with the PakRax side-brackets installed. The downside is no place to put the mid-panel (I put mine on the half-rack). UPDATE We now know TrailRax does not recommend putting tents on the Half-Rack, and the tent mfgr says you need 32" span between mounting brackets, not 26.5, so the official answer is no!. . . Your tent would also prevent the 2row skyrider from opening, but the one-row sunrider would work great in that application, perhaps.

Oh well! Whats the name of your tent?

Screenshot_20231012_135410_Gallery.jpg
hmm.. ok, that might change things a little bit.

The tent I have is the Tepui Low-Pro 3. I've used it for years on other trucks and it has held up really well. I definitely wouldn't put too much extra weight up on the rear top section of the bronco, though, so it's probably limited to solo camping? Tepui itself was also sold to Thule and I think they may have discontinued this LP3 model. (seen here on clearance: https://offroadalliance.com/CLOSEOUT--Thule-Tepui--LowPro-3-Roof-Top-Tent--901003/). Thule does still offer the Low-pro 2, though, which is slightly smaller version at 50" x 43" x 10" when it's closed, and weighs just 98 pounds.

I'll reach out to Trailrax to discuss the possibilities. Thank you again!

Last edited:

paleh0rse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco and others
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interestingly enough, it does look like the Low-pro 2 would technically work with both the weight limits and the crossbar width if you're under 202 lbs body weight. (and, at 50" long, it would hang off just 7" front and back).
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 1697135877675

That said, it's probably best to take the manufacturer's advice and avoid it altogether... :devilish:

Kmautah

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Lariat, Tesla Model 3, MB Sprinter Van (170)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the detailed review and post! Just purchased the TRMR Half Rack for the 2 door ! We will see how this goes... Planning to attach the Pelican BX90R. I've got too much into this to spring for the Pack Rax, so hoping the stability will be good enough for the Peli without. I will report back, Dimensions were really helpful OP!
Were you able to attach the pelican box? I have the same half-rack, and am looking to mount cargo box(es). thanks

GnarlGarl

Black Diamond
First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco SAS Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Were you able to attach the pelican box? I have the same half-rack, and am looking to mount cargo box(es). thanks
I was not, only because they sent me all the wrong parts first. They did send me a copy I supposedly could install, but by that point, I decided to return anyway. I don’t know if I would trust a lot of weight up there with the way that that it clamps onto the hardtop without the pak rax. If you do decide to want to put the pelicans up there, I have a set of the hardware for the pelican I could sell you unused at a discount! Best of luck to you.
Sponsored