Sponsored

My (modest) Big Bend Sasquatch build (DV8 MTO winch bumper, XRGB headlights, graphics)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vasque Sundowners
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Here is my Big Bend Sasquatch build.

I decided to go with the DV8 MTO winch bumper. I was looking for a bumper that kept the winch somewhat enclosed but still allowed for good airflow. This DV8 bumper seemed to be a good compromise. The bumper arrived expertly packaged and I reached out to customer support with a question and they were very helpful. The installation was fairly easy (use a floor jack) but I was only able to get the torque wrench on 3 of the 6 bolts (the other 3 are plenty tight, just not verified). I opted to go with the Warn VR EVO 10 winch. I found a good deal on the model with the steel cable and swapped it out for a synthetic one. The mounting holes on the bumper would put the Warn winch about 1 inch off-center so I did drill new mounting holes in the correct locations. The slot in the bumper for the winch line is small and I have some concerns about the line rubbing on it – I will keep an eye on it and can make it larger if needed. I did need to sand/grind about 1/8” off the bottom of the Warn fairlead for it to fit in the recess. I removed the pieces of perforated aluminum that DV8 has inside the bumper openings to paint them black and I decided to leave them off for now. Sorry DV8, I covered up your logo with a Warn emblem. The big hook on the front is just for looks-it’s one from Harbor Freight that I modified. I’ll remove it for any serious winching and use soft shackles. My Bronco came with the modular bumper and the DV8 sticks out just about 6” further. Like others have mentioned, I was concerned with air flow to the intercooler. I took measurements with a small wind meter while driving at 35 miles an hour. I zip tied it in front of the bumper and made took a drive through the neighborhood with a max speed of 35mph. I then moved it to just in front of intercooler louvers and did the drive at the same speed. On the front of the bumper max air speed was 22.2 mph, in front of the intercooler it was 14.2 mph. That’s a 36% reduction in wind speed. I can live with that. I was also concerned about the front of the Bronco dropping due to the weight of the bumper and winch. I took before and after measurements at the lower front control arm and the suspension dropped just over 1/8” as a result of the install. I’m not thrilled with the license plate location, but so far I don't know of a better option with this bumper.

I have also replaced the stock base headlights with the Morimoto XRGB headlights. I am pleased with the headlights (much brighter than stock) and I was able to dial in a clean white color for the DRL halo. With the $600 trade in for my stock lights, this was the right upgrade for a guy like me who had the base lights and wanted the signature headlight look.

As for the vinyl side graphics, I designed and cut my own at home. I have just $7 into materials so I can remove them guilt-free if/when I change my mind.

Overall, I’m very impressed with the Bronco. We previously owned a YJ so we had realistic expectations about the ride, road noise and quirkiness of off-road vehicles with removable tops. On the list for spring is either the Bestop Trektop or Skyrider.

Please leave a comment if you have questions about (or want more pictures of) the DV8 MTO bumper.

Ford Bronco My (modest) Big Bend Sasquatch build (DV8 MTO winch bumper, XRGB headlights, graphics) Front lights - Copy

Ford Bronco My (modest) Big Bend Sasquatch build (DV8 MTO winch bumper, XRGB headlights, graphics) Bumper close - Copy.JPG

Ford Bronco My (modest) Big Bend Sasquatch build (DV8 MTO winch bumper, XRGB headlights, graphics) Side graphics - Copy.JPG
Sponsored

Garrison

Badlands
First Name
Garrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really appreciate your review, was looking at this one myself.