Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi, I’m writing this to gather some thoughts/advice on my build plan.
I have a 21 black diamond nonSAS with SAS take off bilstein shocks and eibach spring lift. I changed my tire size to 35 with SAS take off tires and some low weight rims(78lb in total and stock bd rim and tire is 74lb)
Recently I have read some posts about broken cv joint on some nonsas 35 build, which makes me worry about mine. (Although i don’t do serious rock crawling at all) So I plan to get a reinforcement m190 cv shaft from RCV, which will significantly lower the chance of cv shaft failure.
Need some idea on my build! Do I need anything else?
Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have no idea why you actually think you need to upgrade your shafts. Especially only doing light wheeling. If it were I, I would take that money and invest it elsewhere. JMHO!

OP
OP
Zhang

Zhang

Black Diamond
First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have no idea why you actually think you need to upgrade your shafts. Especially only doing light wheeling. If it were I, I would take that money and invest it elsewhere. JMHO!
I have seen people breaking their m190 shaft which made me nervous. I guess maybe they are not that fragile. Really need advice on this one!

OP
OP
Zhang

Zhang

Black Diamond
First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bump

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Everything breaks, but not because its weak or insufficient at its abilities. Most simple things break because they were pushed beyond its limits. Most all Broncos built have quality parts, and some are faulty off the shelf(fact of life). But that doesn't mean that you go out and do things beyond its capabilities and then scream on the internet that its a POS. Just like some people come on here and say the tie rods are a weak link, or the UCA's and ball joints. If you put a lift on a vehicle and the lift you put on is not taken every bit of geometry into factor, then there is going to be problems. Ball joints are maxed out and when you articulate it breaks from pure stress, just as tie rods, bushings. You can take the simplest 4x4 or 4x2 vehicles and do incredible things with them in stock form off road and still come home without breaking a part. Its all in how you approach it. I've seen builds that have the highest price tag of parts and still need to be towed home. Vehicles are no different from you or I. If we take our bodies and do something that is not normal, we break a bone or fall down. Just because a few ppl on the internet say one thing and scream it in all caps doesn't make it true. The only ppl that benefit from that is the companies that sell the high priced parts.

The best thing you can do for yourself is drive your Bronco, learn it, find its limitations and go from there. For someone to go out and replace perfectly good parts because one or a few say so is wasting your time, resources. Learn your vehicle and do what you think needs improving. Good luck bud!!!

Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Gavin, I'm not bragging or anything, just proving my point. And hopefully help you in your future endeavor. Look at my front-end suspension components, axle shaft angle, tie rod angle, LCA angle and UCA/balljoint angles. Everything is in oem spec geometry. The balljoint are neutral center postion, nothing is binding. That's because I bought a complete 5" lift kit. Lowered front and rear cross members, lowered diff brackets, larger knuckles to raise the axle shaft hubs. All this gets my geometry perfect. The only thing I'm going to buy outside of this is proper coilovers. When I took delivery and bought my lift kit, there wasn't much out there for coilovers. Now there is, so that is my next task. But the most pleasurable part of all this is I have no concerns of something going to break because of stress. Sure my Bronco has its limitations, but I never exceed that limitation.

IMG_20230221_192834.jpg

IMG_20230221_192759.jpg

IMG_20230221_192856.jpg

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally I would not put any money into the M190. At minimum, I would keep an eye out for an M210 that someone upgraded to Dana's unit. $.02 🤠

OP
OP
Zhang

Zhang

Black Diamond
First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Personally I would not put any money into the M190. At minimum, I would keep an eye out for an M210 that someone upgraded to Dana's unit. $.02 🤠
M210 is just too much $ to me. Not plan to do anything serious, mainly wheeling with a 4Runner and a FJ. Do you think m190 would handle normal off-roading?(no big rock climbing)

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

M210 is just too much $ to me. Not plan to do anything serious, mainly wheeling with a 4Runner and a FJ. Do you think m190 would handle normal off-roading?(no big rock climbing)
It should be fine for light off-roading. Just the aluminum housing will never be as strong as the cast iron unit, which helps minimize deflection on the gears inside. Like I said, I would not waste any money trying to build/ upgrade an M190. $.02

OP
OP
Zhang

Zhang

Black Diamond
First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It should be fine for light off-roading. Just the aluminum housing will never be as strong as the cast iron unit, which helps minimize deflection on the gears inside. Like I said, I would not waste any money trying to build/ upgrade an M190. $.02
I guess you are right. I'll just keep an eye on my foot then. I saw people say if you upgrade your axle you may ruin your diff, is that legit?

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess you are right. I'll just keep an eye on my foot then. I saw people say if you upgrade your axle you may ruin your diff, is that legit?
Not really, but if you decide to spend $2K+ to upgrade you axle shafts on the M190, you ought to make sure you stock up on this.
Ford Bronco Need advice on build 0%2Fv1549845651%2Fproduction%2Fdesigns%2F4178595_0

It will be fine for light off-road use, but save your money for if or when it breaks on you to get something better. You might be just fine with it depending on how you drive, but don't expect it to hold up to big tires and a lot of throttle. 🤠

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Also consider the M190 isn’t lockable. A lot of the tie rod and other issues seem to occur with the front locker engaged. Join a local Bronco group, make a friend, and compare your geometry to that of a stock Sasquatch. How far out are you? Doesn’t sound like you are doing any extreme trails, so conventional wisdom says you’ll be fine. Also, looking at the picture of your rig, when in doubt use the winch. Get on YouTube and search for the videos of Broncos breaking. You’ll often see the following pattern: no traction - no traction - no traction - TRACTION - snap. There’s also some YouTube videos of a guy in TX that’s accomplishing what I’d describe as medium trails in a base just using the standard traction control. Go have fun, if your buddies aren’t breaking, you’re probably fine. Disclaimer: If you do break something, telling the dealership that some asshole from Nevada said you’d be fine will do you no good.

OP
OP
Zhang

Zhang

Black Diamond
First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Also consider the M190 isn’t lockable. A lot of the tie rod and other issues seem to occur with the front locker engaged. Join a local Bronco group, make a friend, and compare your geometry to that of a stock Sasquatch. How far out are you? Doesn’t sound like you are doing any extreme trails, so conventional wisdom says you’ll be fine. Also, looking at the picture of your rig, when in doubt use the winch. Get on YouTube and search for the videos of Broncos breaking. You’ll often see the following pattern: no traction - no traction - no traction - TRACTION - snap. There’s also some YouTube videos of a guy in TX that’s accomplishing what I’d describe as medium trails in a base just using the standard traction control. Go have fun, if your buddies aren’t breaking, you’re probably fine. Disclaimer: If you do break something, telling the dealership that some asshole from Nevada said you’d be fine will do you no good.
Haha thank you bro. I’d better stock up some factory tires and rims hopes to get away with problems haha

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Upgrade what you break. Go wheeling with your buddies. If you break something, you found a weak link. Upgrade the broken parts. The only axle/CV issues I have heard is either the axle not fully seated into the diff or too much lift height and the CV are binding. The M190 diff is your real weak link. I would look at replacing that before the axles.

Badsquatchman

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC and motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gavin, I'm not bragging or anything, just proving my point. And hopefully help you in your future endeavor. Look at my front-end suspension components, axle shaft angle, tie rod angle, LCA angle and UCA/balljoint angles. Everything is in oem spec geometry. The balljoint are neutral center postion, nothing is binding. That's because I bought a complete 5" lift kit. Lowered front and rear cross members, lowered diff brackets, larger knuckles to raise the axle shaft hubs. All this gets my geometry perfect. The only thing I'm going to buy outside of this is proper coilovers. When I took delivery and bought my lift kit, there wasn't much out there for coilovers. Now there is, so that is my next task. But the most pleasurable part of all this is I have no concerns of something going to break because of stress. Sure my Bronco has its limitations, but I never exceed that limitation.

Ford Bronco Need advice on build 0%2Fv1549845651%2Fproduction%2Fdesigns%2F4178595_0

Those angles do look factory spec. Impressive. Are you running 37s?
Sponsored