laxnate

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve never been off road before. I have a base non-sas with added 2” lift and 35” tires, no other mods.

What are the best trails in SoCal for a beginner to ease into off road life that would be appropriate for my skill (lack of) and Bronco (no lockers, base suspension)? Would I be able to do Cleghorn if I avoided the off shoots? Any other suggestions?

I’m in Redondo Beach so ideally any trails would be within a couple hours drive to do as a day trip. Thanks!
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is a video of a Jeep run on Cleghorn by a friend of mine a few years ago.

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yea you're fine.

Cleghorn is good. Santiago Peak is good. You can do both those with no lockers. I've seen Jeeps do Cleghorn with no lockers and hit most offshoots, went with a dude who had a Tacoma last time, he did more than me, but I had my kids with me so I was bitching out.

I'm in Murrieta, if you want to go, lemme know. I'll roll with you. And if you get stuck, I'll get you out.

There are a few southern California trail groups on FB if you want likes I can send em to you

This was me... I don't think I had my rear locker
engaged on this one... can't remember though. Definitely didn't need it and this one is a tight one.

Last edited:
OP
OP

laxnate

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Tan k
Yea you're fine.

Cleghorn is good. Santiago Peak is good. You can do both those with no lockers. I've see. Jeeps do Cleghorn with no lockers and hit most offshoots, went with a dude a d a Tacoma last time, he did more than me, but I had my kids with me so I was bitching out.

I'm in Murrieta, if you want to go, lemme know. I'll roll with you. And if you get stuck, I'll get you out.

There are a few southern California trail groups on FB if you want likes I can send em to you

This was me... I don't think I had my rear locker
engaged on this one... can't remember though. Definitely didn't need it and this one is a tight one.

Thanks! I may take you up on the company. I have three boys, maybe we can roll with the kiddos too. Happy New Year.

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tan k

Thanks! I may take you up on the company. I have three boys, maybe we can roll with the kiddos too. Happy New Year.
Yea for sure man. Just not this week. Fucking wife got covid and I don't want to be spreading it around. I have 2 boys and a doggo I bring, wifey isn't too enthusiastic. Lemme know when you're up for it, gimme a week or 2 though to make sure im.not spreading the plague.

Sponsored

Samsquantch

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
I watched a guy in a stock 2wd '97 suburban thrash through Cleghorn once lol yeah you'll be good, just do yourself a favor and figure out where an area called "oh-shit-creek" is in advance, and avoid it if you dont have rock sliders yet. My 2 door JK walked through there when I had open diffs just fine though.

Honestly man, if you're looking to go bust your new Bronco's cherry, my favorite beginner trail up here is Pilot Rock (2N33/2N37) because there are hard or easy paths through the whole trail. You can pick and choose the whole time what obstacles to do or not do. I used to run guided Jeep trips through there as well as Cleghorn. I'd take rookies and experts up Pilot Rock and we'd all have the same amount of fun.
The trail can be hard or easy depending on what you want to do.

Do you know how to get to Crestline?

IMG_20190121_144526_481.jpg

IMG_20190121_144526_482.jpg

IMG_20190121_144625_577.jpg

IMG_20190121_144625_594.jpg

IMG_20190121_144526_477.jpg

IMG_20190329_233949_861.jpg

IMG_20190121_144625_605.jpg

Samsquantch

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll take you through Pilot Rock and spot you when you need it, if you let me try out your Bronco atleast once! 😆 I'm gonna be waiting for mine for quite a while 😒... I have my Jeep though!

OP
OP

laxnate

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I watched a guy in a stock 2wd '97 suburban thrash through Cleghorn once lol yeah you'll be good, just do yourself a favor and figure out where an area called "oh-shit-creek" is in advance, and avoid it if you dont have rock sliders yet. My 2 door JK walked through there when I had open diffs just fine though.

Honestly man, if you're looking to go bust your new Bronco's cherry, my favorite beginner trail up here is Pilot Rock (2N33/2N37) because there are hard or easy paths through the whole trail. You can pick and choose the whole time what obstacles to do or not do. I used to run guided Jeep trips through there as well as Cleghorn. I'd take rookies and experts up Pilot Rock and we'd all have the same amount of fun.

Ford Bronco Noob w/ Base - Can I run Cleghorn? IMG_20190121_144625_605

Thanks for the reco! Those pics look awesome.

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

IMG_20190121_144526_481.jpg

IMG_20190121_144526_482.jpg

IMG_20190121_144625_577.jpg

IMG_20190121_144625_594.jpg

IMG_20190121_144526_477.jpg

IMG_20190329_233949_861.jpg

IMG_20190121_144625_605.jpg
We should try a d get a group together to do a run once a month or so

GuiGarcia05

Wildtrak
First Name
Guilherme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve never been off road before. I have a base non-sas with added 2” lift and 35” tires, no other mods.

What are the best trails in SoCal for a beginner to ease into off road life that would be appropriate for my skill (lack of) and Bronco (no lockers, base suspension)? Would I be able to do Cleghorn if I avoided the off shoots? Any other suggestions?

I’m in Redondo Beach so ideally any trails would be within a couple hours drive to do as a day trip. Thanks!
just seeing this thread….
Did you end up going?
I’m also in the SouthBay area and I’m planning a Cleghorn run next weekend. Let me know!

Sponsored

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
just seeing this thread….
Did you end up going?
I’m also in the SouthBay area and I’m planning a Cleghorn run next weekend. Let me know!
Would you rather come out to Johnson Valkey on April 2nd? Bunch of us are going. I have a thread about it in the California Forum here.

I'm in Murrieta (South Riverside county).

We can do Cleghorn another day

GuiGarcia05

Wildtrak
First Name
Guilherme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Would you rather come out to Johnson Valkey on April 2nd? Bunch of us are going. I have a thread about it in the California Forum here.

I'm in Murrieta (South Riverside county).

We can do Cleghorn another day
That sounds awesome! Would love to join that.

I just joined the FB group and will confirm in there once I’m sure I can make it.
Thank you!! 🤙🏽

OP
OP

laxnate

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m recovering from a torn Achilles on my right leg. The biggest bummer is not being able to drive. Wish I could join but hope to catch you all on another run in a couple months!
Sponsored