Sponsored

Powder Coating Options (Cosmetic Changes)

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2-door Badlands, Carb Gray, hardtop, with the upgraded wheel package.

I wanted to make the beauty ring look deep black, like the rest of the wheel, and do the same for the grill and hardtop. I just like that look, murder it out, have jet black, and the carb gray. Contrasting colors.

Has anyone done this? I know you can't powder coat plastic, so I assume the hardtop will be the tricky challenge, but the grill and beauty rings are metal, right? So should be doable?

Would love some suggestions!
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The grill and top would have to be painted or wrapped. Powder is for metal parts only. Once the powder is applied it goes into an over at approx 400F to melt the powder. The grill and top would not survive in that high of heat.

VVSidewinderVv

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I wanted to make the beauty ring look deep black, like the rest of the wheel, and do the same for the grill and hardtop. I just like that look, murder it out, have jet black, and the carb gray. Contrasting colors.

Has anyone done this? I know you can't powder coat plastic, so I assume the hardtop will be the tricky challenge, but the grill and beauty rings are metal, right? So should be doable?

The grille is gonna be plastic. The beauty ring is metal and can be powder coated.
The other less permanent option would be vinyl wrap on the grille. Not sure if vinyl would survive on the wheels though. The top I've read has some issues being painted. It leeches chemicals that makes the paint peel. Not sure if a vinyl wrap would work on it or not.

OP
OP
TyGuy40

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The grille is gonna be plastic. The beauty ring is metal and can be powder coated.
The other less permanent option would be vinyl wrap on the grille. Not sure if vinyl would survive on the wheels though. The top I've read has some issues being painted. It leeches chemicals that makes the paint peel. Not sure if a vinyl wrap would work on it or not.
I imagine the grill is easy to paint?

VVSidewinderVv

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Jen Johnsen

Outer Banks
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was going to try to spray paint mine. But when I went to get the screws out… I stripped two of them because they were tightened down so hard at the factory. So once I can figure that out… I’ll post how they look sprayed (and just an fYI this car is driven in southern CA… never 4wD… so durability probably won’t be an issue for me

OP
OP
TyGuy40

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was going to try to spray paint mine. But when I went to get the screws out… I stripped two of them because they were tightened down so hard at the factory. So once I can figure that out… I’ll post how they look sprayed (and just an fYI this car is driven in southern CA… never 4wD… so durability probably won’t be an issue for me
you talking about the grill or the beauty rings?

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
you talking about the grill or the beauty rings?
beauty ring bolts are easy to strip per the writings of those that have gone before

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I powder coated my beauty rings grey to match the fender flares. Love 'em.

20220324_182457.jpeg

Sponsored

Smuck

First Edition
First Name
Shon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You can also buy the black rings from ford I believe.

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I powder coated my beauty rings grey to match the fender flares. Love 'em.

Ford Bronco Powder Coating Options (Cosmetic Changes) 20220324_182457
did you sandblast them first? I'm planning to do the same, trying to determine if I need to go as far as stripping down the factory coating first. looks great, i'm planning a similar color!

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
did you sandblast them first? I'm planning to do the same, trying to determine if I need to go as far as stripping down the factory coating first. looks great, i'm planning a similar color!
I had a local custom shop do them and had them powdercoat my calipers and tow hooks, among other things. Unsure how they did them, but I love this look much better.

20220324_103841.jpeg