Sponsored

Rigid roof mounted light bar bad radio interference.

Joetib07

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just installed the rigid light bar from ford and noticed when the light bar is on there’s a lot of static interference from the radio until I shut it off and radio goes back to normal? Any ideas? Bad ground possibly? I wired everything up correctly according to the instructions. Thanks
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just installed the rigid light bar from ford and noticed when the light bar is on there’s a lot of static interference from the radio until I shut it off and radio goes back to normal? Any ideas? Bad ground possibly? I wired everything up correctly according to the instructions. Thanks
Very likely grounding issues, yes.

Your light bar is ‘broadcasting’ and your radio is picking it up. This is most commonly a grounding issue.

Where did you ground the light bar? What type of connection did you use?

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You may need to simply add a ferrite ring around the power cable to eliminate the interference.

OP
OP

Joetib07

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Very likely grounding issues, yes.

Your light bar is ‘broadcasting’ and your radio is picking it up. This is most commonly a grounding issue.

Where did you ground the light bar? What type of connection did you use?
I followed an install off a member here, circled on the right is where I grounded it

85DCE75C-6000-435E-8DE8-F707438262C3.jpeg

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I followed an install off a member here, circled on the right is where I grounded it

85DCE75C-6000-435E-8DE8-F707438262C3.jpeg
Interesting. are you sure the threads are clean on the female side? I seem to recall that being a painted nutsert that the airbag gets screwed into. Maybe back the bolt out and retighten a few times, blow the hole out with compressed air and then make sure it’s snug.

My guess is the threads aren’t making enough contact and the actual ring terminal isn’t touching any other piece of unpainted metal.

Id also try wiggling the ground while the radio is going if you can and see if it causes more or less static. If no change at all, then you know your crimp on the ring terminal connector is fine and it’s likely paint in the way. Might also see it in your lights.

I don’t know the stats of the Ford Rigid bar, but I’m guessing it’s going to be about 20 amps. You’re gonna want to make sure you’re on upfitter 1 and carry some spare fuses just in case. You’re right at the limit of the built in wires.

If adjusting the ground doesn’t work, you’ll need to verify your positive is solidly connected at every point. Turn the light bar on and wiggle each splice point - make sure the light doesn’t flicker at all.

LED light bars can cause RF interference on the input side, but that’s far more common with cheap brands.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Joetib07

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting. are you sure the threads are clean on the female side? I seem to recall that being a painted nutsert that the airbag gets screwed into. Maybe back the bolt out and retighten a few times, blow the hole out with compressed air and then make sure it’s snug.

My guess is the threads aren’t making enough contact and the actual ring terminal isn’t touching any other piece of unpainted metal.

Id also try wiggling the ground while the radio is going if you can and see if it causes more or less static. If no change at all, then you know your crimp on the ring terminal connector is fine and it’s likely paint in the way. Might also see it in your lights.

I don’t know the stats of the Ford Rigid bar, but I’m guessing it’s going to be about 20 amps. You’re gonna want to make sure you’re on upfitter 1 and carry some spare fuses just in case. You’re right at the limit of the built in wires.

If adjusting the ground doesn’t work, you’ll need to verify your positive is solidly connected at every point. Turn the light bar on and wiggle each splice point - make sure the light doesn’t flicker at all.

LED light bars can cause RF interference on the input side, but that’s far more common with cheap brands.
Ok I’ll try all of that tomorrow and get back to you. Thank you

OP
OP

Joetib07

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ok I’ll try all of that tomorrow and get back to you. Thank you
Update: moved the ground and did little to nothing. Purchased ferrite rings off Amazon, clipped 3 of them as close to the light bar as possible and worked like a charm! Thanks for everyone’s input, one less headache to worry about.
Sponsored