Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The average base model EV (Mustang Mach E, VW Hyundai Ioniq 5) has an MSRP in the $39-47K range. Compare that to a base ICE like a Camry or Rav 4 with MSRP in the $26-28K range and the EV is still quite a bit more expensive even with the $7500 rebate assuming the buyer qualifies. The intangibles working against EV implementation include short range, refueling time/locations, and outside temperature based range loss. Don’t forget to add in cost of wiring a home charging station ($2000 in my case) or even the ability of adding one for those living in apartments.

In my case, having purchased and later sold a Ford Lightning EV in 2022, the true cost to own and operate an EV was more expensive than an ICE pickup. The main reason is that electricity is very expensive in MA, 38 cents per kWh where I live with no cheaper off peak programs. My $46K Lightning Pro would be less expensive than ICE in markets with cheaper electricity. With the cost of the same truck up to $63K for 2023 I think the EV will indeed end up more expensive for most users regardless of electricity prices.

I was all in on the EV until I owned one for a few months. Having owned and experienced one first hand paid for with my own money I did the math and moved on. I’m sure EV’s will continue to improve, and new battery tech will extend range and temperature tolerance. Until we start cranking up more nuclear power plants in the US the ever increasing cost of electricity will make EV implementation challenging.
.38 cents per kWh!?!?!??

.14 here in SE Pa.

Also, remember that the purchasing and use of EV’s in the United States is in its infancy. Technology needs to grow resources need to grow, but the key is getting away from fossil fuels eventually. Even if it hurts a little bit at the beginning. I would like my grandchildren to have a planet to live on.
Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
The average base model EV (Mustang Mach E, VW Hyundai Ioniq 5) has an MSRP in the $39-47K range. Compare that to a base ICE like a Camry or Rav 4 with MSRP in the $26-28K range and the EV is still quite a bit more expensive even with the $7500 rebate assuming the buyer qualifies. The intangibles working against EV implementation include short range, refueling time/locations, and outside temperature based range loss. Don’t forget to add in cost of wiring a home charging station ($2000 in my case) or even the ability of adding one for those living in apartments.

In my case, having purchased and later sold a Ford Lightning EV in 2022, the true cost to own and operate an EV was more expensive than an ICE pickup. The main reason is that electricity is very expensive in MA, 38 cents per kWh where I live with no cheaper off peak programs. My $46K Lightning Pro would be less expensive than ICE in markets with cheaper electricity. With the cost of the same truck up to $63K for 2023 I think the EV will indeed end up more expensive for most users regardless of electricity prices.

I was all in on the EV until I owned one for a few months. Having owned and experienced one first hand paid for with my own money I did the math and moved on. I’m sure EV’s will continue to improve, and new battery tech will extend range and temperature tolerance. Until we start cranking up more nuclear power plants in the US the ever increasing cost of electricity will make EV implementation challenging.
Your comparison is conveniently subjective... The Camry/Rav4 compares with the Bolt/Bolt EUV at a similar price point, much cheaper if you include the Federal Credit.
In a few hours I'll pick my Model Y Performance, a vehicle that does 0-60 in 3.5s, the 1/4 mile in the 12's, is AWD for the inclement weather, can carry my family in comfort, can basically drive itself when I don't want to and can tow my boat for (net to me) $57k OTD (including tax, title and tags). That's a deal, its basically Hyundai Palisade Caligraphy money, not including the gas savings. I pay less than 10 cents per KWh but can charge at work for free.

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 GT500’s FGT MACH I Z8
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
.38 cents per kWh!?!?!??

.14 here in SE Pa.

Also, remember that the purchasing and use of EV’s in the United States is in its infancy. Technology needs to grow resources need to grow, but the key is getting away from fossil fuels eventually. Even if it hurts a little bit at the beginning. I would like my grandchildren to have a planet to live on.
I purchased my Lightning to be an early adopter and to test the technology for the company where I manage a fleet of 100+ trucks. My test proved that the technology is not presently viable for the company, but I’ll keep watching to see what develops. Shifting away from fossil fuels is fine, but the current push for renewables while ignoring the most viable source of carbon neutral energy (nuclear) is not smart.

Your comparison is conveniently subjective... The Camry/Rav4 compares with the Bolt/Bolt EUV at a similar price point, much cheaper if you include the Federal Credit.
In a few hours I'll pick my Model Y Performance, a vehicle that does 0-60 in 3.5s, the 1/4 mile in the 12's, is AWD for the inclement weather, can carry my family in comfort, can basically drive itself when I don't want to and can tow my boat for (net to me) $57k OTD (including tax, title and tags). That's a deal, its basically Hyundai Palisade Caligraphy money, not including the gas savings. I pay less than 10 cents per KWh but can charge at work for free.
The Bolt and Bolt EUV are not the same size as a Camry or Rav 4, those are tiny and would compete with the C-HR and maybe Corolla. I was looking for examples of a relatively similar size and function that the average person buys, all the EV’s listed are two row and four doors. Maybe the Venza would be a better match for the MME and ID4 because it’s a hatchback, but I was trying to avoid the comparison to a hybrid.

The Tesla Model Y is a great rig, but it does have the range/charging limitations and range is negatively impacted by cold temps. It sounds like it will work out great for you, but based on my experience owning a 2022 technology EV truck I’ll be waiting a while before buying another. I have a reservation for Elon’s truck if he ever decides to build it, but with what I pay for electricity in a state with no nuclear power and a mandate for ever increasing use of renewables it probably won’t pencil out.
Sponsored