Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco - Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Took a weekend to hit Assateague National Seashore in our Bronco after Overland Expo East last week and had a decent time.

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC03002

Park has an area for airing down and airing back up before hitting the 12ish miles of open beach. They do have 145 vehicle limit but in the off season it is not bad (28 for us on the beach and it was late morning/mid day). Pumps for airing back up were very quick 15psi back to 40 in about a minute for my 35s.

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02938
Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02935

I know I need to get deflators...
Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02939

Only way to run the route is 110 annual pass. fairly simple process but MAN its a lot of money for a fairly flat straight forward no frills or thrills area. A day rate of 20$ for out of towners wanting to check another national park off their list would be solid. (also a bit of a bummer that the pass is just to your specific vehicle so my wife's Tacoma cant come back and play without another 110$)
Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02948

Is nice and open with deep sand, however any tracks off to camps or into dunes areas area blocked and only for permitted hunters or staff. bit of a bummer especially considering you have to have an RV to camp on the sand or go full down to ground camping. no primitive "overlander" camps here even though many areas they have camping would fully support it.
Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02949

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02962

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02957

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02955

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02976

All complaints about cost aside, its a pretty area especially for laying out a lunch and just spending the day fishing or sitting with the family. Also the areas big thing is the many feral/wild horses that roam the area. we saw a lot of tracks but only a few horses however I figure if you spent a week you would see plenty rolling in across the dunes

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02987
Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02978

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC03009

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02982

The route runs all the way to the VA border where a large fence blocks you from continuing down to the other half. It would be nice to see them open this up more but I can understand the abuse that probably led to where we are today. Benifits of East coast living with a 4x4.. zero

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02986

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02995

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02954

DSC02982.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the writeup. Shame there are such limited options for us around pa/de/md

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome pictures. All my pictures come out lousy & I use to do it as a hobby :sneaky:

Ike89

Base
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Took a weekend to hit Assateague National Seashore in our Bronco after Overland Expo East last week and had a decent time.

Ford Bronco Summers not over yet for this Bronco Wildtrak: Assateague National Seashore Trip DSC02982

Park has an area for airing down and airing back up before hitting the 12ish miles of open beach. They do have 145 vehicle limit but in the off season it is not bad (28 for us on the beach and it was late morning/mid day). Pumps for airing back up were very quick 15psi back to 40 in about a minute for my 35s.

Only way to run the route is 110 annual pass. fairly simple process but MAN its a lot of money for a fairly flat straight forward no frills or thrills area. A day rate of 20$ for out of towners wanting to check another national park off their list would be solid. (also a bit of a bummer that the pass is just to your specific vehicle so my wife's Tacoma cant come back and play without another 110$)

Is nice and open with deep sand, however any tracks off to camps or into dunes areas area blocked and only for permitted hunters or staff. bit of a bummer especially considering you have to have an RV to camp on the sand or go full down to ground camping. no primitive "overlander" camps here even though many areas they have camping would fully support it.

All complaints about cost aside, its a pretty area especially for laying out a lunch and just spending the day fishing or sitting with the family. Also the areas big thing is the many feral/wild horses that roam the area. we saw a lot of tracks but only a few horses however I figure if you spent a week you would see plenty rolling in across the dunes

The route runs all the way to the VA border where a large fence blocks you from continuing down to the other half. It would be nice to see them open this up more but I can understand the abuse that probably led to where we are today. Benifits of East coast living with a 4x4.. zero

Very nice, good looking Wildtrak!!! Do you have any pics with your tent and awning setup? Thx...

TheJess

Badlands
First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Beautiful pictures!! I’m sorry you didn’t get any pictures of your “pony” with the local ponies. 🐴

Sponsored

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm surprised you didn't see more ponies. Every time I have been to Assateague I have seen as many ponies as I have green flies. And this is on the regular paved areas.

braften

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco. goodbye accord, you served well
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

how do you like that RTT?

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Amazing photos

Badsquatchman

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC and motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

240E334B-9A65-4BF1-AD0D-3ADE1BD5CC40.jpeg

Badsquatchman

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC and motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs