CaliforniaBurrito

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm thinking I saw somewhere it's only available in 4wd. I could be wrong though. If that's the case, I wouldn't use it on pavement.
Yes in the owners guide that was posted on here a few weeks ago it said trail turn assist is only available with 4wd engaged.

I was looking forward to using it for U-turns, but I don't think I'm going to take the time to shift into 4wd everytime.
Sponsored

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bummer, I didn't know this until now.
Does anyone know the reasoning behind this?
Havent seen any Ford reps confirm why specifically, but if I was a betting man, I would say that the automatic at least has a viscous fluid disconnect from the powerplant that is more forgiving than the manual clutch pack would likely be and slippage required to do this without metal carnage. Could it be done on a manual, I bet, but the differences in gear ratios, slippage, crawler gears possibly engaged, etc is likely too much risk for Ford to assume while the automatic has a higher tolerance for this wizardy.

Would be nice if they confirm this though. Or of course, they are pulling an Apple where they make minor adjustments over the years to warrant the upgrades. LOL

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems like it would assist on tight switchback ledge trails, like Black Bear in Ouray. It's a puckerfest with multipoint turn and high exposure, 4DR nightmare maker. I am definitely going to try it.

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Havent seen any Ford reps confirm why specifically, but if I was a betting man, I would say that the automatic at least has a viscous fluid disconnect from the powerplant that is more forgiving than the manual clutch pack would likely be and slippage required to do this without metal carnage. Could it be done on a manual, I bet, but the differences in gear ratios, slippage, crawler gears possibly engaged, etc is likely too much risk for Ford to assume while the automatic has a higher tolerance for this wizardy.

Would be nice if they confirm this though. Or of course, they are pulling an Apple where they make minor adjustments over the years to warrant the upgrades. LOL
When TTA is activated, the rear axle is Unlocked. There's nothing internal to either of the transmissions that would need to "slip".

Bottom line is ..... it could easily be done with either AT or MT, but FoMoCo wants to try to get people to Not Buy the MT and to get them to pay the Up Charge for the AT.

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When TTA is activated, the rear axle is Unlocked. There's nothing internal to either of the transmissions that would need to "slip".

Bottom line is ..... it could easily be done with either AT or MT, but FoMoCo wants to try to get people to Not Buy the MT and to get them to pay the Up Charge for the AT.
Well, possibly, yes and no as the nature of the automatic transmission and torque multiplying could mean it is necessary to overcome frictions at low engine rpm and wheel rotation relative to the drivetrain. Something maybe the manual stalls or jumps when engaged.

TTA imo isnt largely doing much to persuade buyers to opt for the automatic versus the manual. It wasn't even a consideration in my mind. That nail in that coffin was largely due to the 2.7 over the smaller engine choice for so many and remains today a big reason anyone hesitates for the smaller engine choice. This may have been them attempting to force customer decisions by that pairing and limitation. So many have already said so.

And I guess if this "could be easily done..." then it would rationalize that you can either A) do this yourself once delivered, or B) wait for the aftermarket to respond. There are others out there that modify their rigs for this feature, then just do it yourself too.

I'm of the opinion that honestly the usage of such a feature will be so intermittent as to even warrant the worry at all in my many foreseen years of ownership. Likely, I could count it on my two hands how many times this feature gets deployed for me.
Sponsored