Sponsored

Wire Routing Through Tailgate - Add Hole to Brake Light Rubber Fitting?

DanielC64

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am looking to add a scanner antenna to the spare tire mount on the tailgate and I am trying to figure out the cleanest way to route the coax through the tailgate. My top candidate option right now is punching an additional hole through the rubber fitting that the brake light and backup camera wiring route through but I am a little nervous about compromising the integrity of the rubber part, especially over the long term. Has any one attempted something similar? I would seal the wire around the penetration with waterproof silicone self-adhering tape if I do go that route. Cable is RG58/U terminating in a 3/4 NMO mount.

The other option would be routing through the louvered vents under the spare tire mount but I am worried about water intrusion. Is that a valid concern?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Patotas

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am looking to add a scanner antenna to the spare tire mount on the tailgate and I am trying to figure out the cleanest way to route the coax through the tailgate. My top candidate option right now is punching an additional hole through the rubber fitting that the brake light and backup camera wiring route through but I am a little nervous about compromising the integrity of the rubber part, especially over the long term. Has any one attempted something similar? I would seal the wire around the penetration with waterproof silicone self-adhering tape if I do go that route. Cable is RG58/U terminating in a 3/4 NMO mount.

The other option would be routing through the louvered vents under the spare tire mount but I am worried about water intrusion. Is that a valid concern?

Thanks!

You can remove the electrical tape on the rubber grommet on the tailgate and route the cable though there. Then just reinstall electrical tape on the front and rear of the grommet. That's what I did when I installed my antenna on the spare tire mount.

I have also seen people route through the vents so I don't think that would be an issue.

I might have pictures of the install if you want them,

OP
OP

DanielC64

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can remove the electrical tape on the rubber grommet on the tailgate and route the cable though there. Then just reinstall electrical tape on the front and rear of the grommet. That's what I did when I installed my antenna on the spare tire mount.

I have also seen people route through the vents so I don't think that would be an issue.

I might have pictures of the install if you want them,
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Now that I look closer at the grommet I see where it ends and the electrical tape begins. Going to try routing the coax this weekend while installing the JCR tailgate table.
Sponsored