Sponsored

2.3L and Putting in Service Mode Manually to Perform Rear Brake Service Help Please

Junior127

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend, 2019 F350, 1992 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hello, I tried putting my 2022 Big Bend in service mode manually using the procedure in the link below and it would not work.

I then took it to the dealer who had it for a week and could not get it to work either. They handed me the paper copy of the procedure in the link below when I first brought it to their attention and they tried it with no luck and that is why they had it a week.

I picked it up last night and was told that the Ford engineers where in and tried to get it working and could not and after a couple of phone calls it was determined that Broncos with the 2.3L engine do not have this option and only the ones with the 2.7 do.

Has anyone with the 2.3L been able to put their Bronco in service mode to do the rear brakes manually by the procedure? That is push the start button then the EPB and gas pedal at the same time then the start button again and the start button one last time.

I'm having trouble believing the engine option is related to this but if others with a 2.3L can't do it either then I guess it is so but just seems odd.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/atta...force-system-browser=1&force-system-browser=1

Thank you
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting. I agree, doesn't make sense it would be tied to the engine. @Ducati1098 @flip may have some intel.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The instructions you linked seem to be outdated. I attached the current instructions from the workshop manual that you can try and see if it makes any difference.

Did the dealership try and use FDRS to enter service mode? That's usually how I do it at work.
Both engines should be able to enter brake service mode, as it's designed for any model with electronic parking brakes.

Attachments

OP
OP

Junior127

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thank you for the updated procedure.

The dealer is able to put it in service mode with the laptop if that is what the FDRS is.

I will do my own brakes and wanted to do it by pushing the buttons and gas pedal (short version).

I did not actually speak with the Ford engineers that looked at it as they were gone and the service person would not provide any phone numbers or try to find a 2.3L on the lot to try it on.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't want to ruin the flow of the thread, but for my future reference: Wouldn't disconnecting the neg. battery disable the parking brake?

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't want to ruin the flow of the thread, but for my future reference: Wouldn't disconnecting the neg. battery disable the parking brake?
I may not fully understand how it works but I *thought* the electricity is to power the motor that engages/disengages the brake. Just pulling power shouldn't change the state of engagement. As always I'm willing to be proven wrong and learn something in the process!

OP
OP

Junior127

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My understanding is that service mode retracts the piston for the ebrake and allows for the brake pads to be replaced.

The mechanic said without being able to put it in service mode I won't be able to do my own brakes.

If I'm wrong please let me know but it appears that vehicles with electronic parking brakes al need to be put in service mode to do the rear brakes.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My understanding is that service mode retracts the piston for the ebrake and allows for the brake pads to be replaced.

The mechanic said without being able to put it in service mode I won't be able to do my own brakes.

If I'm wrong please let me know but it appears that vehicles with electronic parking brakes al need to be put in service mode to do the rear brakes.
This is correct. Just simply disconnecting the parking brake motors will not accomplish the same thing.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just tried this on my 2.3 - couldn't get it to work either.

How to turn on Brake Maintenance Mode:
1) Turn ignition ON
2) Turn parking brake OFF
3) Press and hold down accelerator, and at the same time press and hold DOWN/OFF parking brake. Keep holding until you get to step 5...
4) Turn ignition OFF, pause for a second, and then back ON
5) Turn ignition OFF and release parking brake and accelerator, the screen should now indicate Maintenance Mode
**DO NOT try to drive with this mode on, your brakes won't work well!

OP
OP

Junior127

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for trying.

It might be true then that the Broncos with the 2.3L will not work. I find it hard to believe but that is 2 for 2 now.

Hopefully some others will try so there is a bigger sample pool.

Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
22MY, 2.3L chiming in. Time for me to do my rear brakes.

Can confirm, the Brake Maintenance Mode does not work. @Ford Motor Company, How about a OTA Update for this?

I seriously can't believe I need to take this thing into the shop to have its brakes done… unbelievable.

OP
OP

Junior127

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Further update.

I have found 2 other 2.3L owners local to me and the procedure does not work.

Out of curiosity is a response ever received from @Ford Motor Company
Sponsored