MuttonBuster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12/20 Build BL/SAS/LUX/Tow/Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone swapped from the capable to modular bumper?

I had the modular bumper on my ‘21 order, but when the dealer converted it to MY22, it wasn’t added. When I picked up my vehicle I was surprised by the Capable bumper.

Before I go buy or swap for a modular bumper, I wanted to get feedback from the forum. I’ve seen people cut, and remove parts. I don’t want to have to do all that. Of
It’s too much of a hassle, then I may wait for a 3rd party bumper.

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Sponsored

SlapnutsGT

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you ever get an answer for this? I'm in a similar situation. I have a BD w/ a capable and we recently ordered a bronco for my wife and had her pick the modular w/ hopes of getting them swapped out.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Its pretty straightforward, but it is involved.

If you are not the type to : " cut, and remove parts. I don’t want to have to do all that. It’s too much of a hassle "

Then, you would not install a 3rd party bumper yourself either.
Sounds like you need to go 3rd party bumper shopping, and pay a mechanic.

The Modular Steel has many components you need to order individually, and you need to figure that out yourself. Its not a "package" from Ford. And if you find one out there, likely it doesnt have everythigng.
https://www.fordpartsconnect.com/v-...2-7l-v6-gas/body--bumper-and-components-front

If you did all that, this video shows the basics:

d8992b93171ba9d807861b1871bbda7f.png

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you piece meal a modular bumper together via Ford, it’s about $2,300+ best I recall. Stupid expensive IMO.

You might get lucky buying a used, like new, takeoff from someone upgrading. Seen prices from $400-900. The catch is which parts you get. Some have skids, some don’t for instance.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you piece meal a modular bumper together via Ford, it’s about $2,300+ best I recall. Stupid expensive IMO.

You might get lucky buying a used, like new, takeoff from someone upgrading. Seen prices from $400-900. The catch is which parts you get. Some have skids, some don’t for instance.
and all the brackets on the back side, and specific fasteners....
its a chore, but if you make a spreadsheet and research you can get parts from multiple locations and cut that $2,300 to less than half. I have. I got the bumper cover for $100! - its been a mini-hobby sourcing all the other stuff at a discount.
Ebay has some sellers from China that have complete packages for under $1k - I think.
I heard people reporting the quality is OEMish

Sponsored

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did not have a capable but had the other one with fog lights and rather than cut I bought the proper brakets.

easy, time consuming and a 2 person job as the Mod HD bumper is 82 lbs.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I did not have a capable but had the other one with fog lights and rather than cut I bought the proper brakets.

easy, time consuming and a 2 person job as the Mod HD bumper is 82 lbs.
i have a mod bumper sitting on the floor, and I would be surprised if its more than 45 lbs - I have the ends off though...

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
huh, I am sure it was shipped at 81 or 82 lbs and it came just wrapped in bubble wrap.

granted, I had mine line Xed as well but that in no way doubled the weight

flip side perhaps I am weak. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Brandonj83

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you got the capable bumper you can buy one of the Amazon or EBay mod bumpers and it will bolt right on in no time. Only issue I had was the bumper sloped a little down when I bolted it up using the OEM bolts so I put a few washers behind the bracket on the lower bolts. It also hit the crash bar on the drivers side without the washers. I swapped it by myself in about 30 minutes. 3 bolts per side and one clip to undo on the capable bumper.

Edit: I also only had to swap the bumper and no sensors as mine is a Black Diamond.

Sponsored

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haven’t seen this addressed, will the capable metal skid plate fit on the modular bumper?

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Haven’t seen this addressed, will the capable metal skid plate fit on the modular bumper?
Yep they are the same just switched my wife's this past weekend.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LarryBirdsFace

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The earlier linked youtube vid addresses the plastic bumper, not the capable, which has different hooks and connects to the frame, not bolts.

I had a BD with a capable bumper, bought a modular takeoff from a guy who put a custom one on with a winch.

It's unbolting six bolts, uncliping the fogs harness pulling the capable bumper off, and then putting the mod on and putting the 6 bolts back in. It's really easy to go from capable to modular. Get a second set of hands though. I was able to do it by myself in about 45 mins. Most of that 45 mins was figuring out how to get the modular bumper up there and hold it while being able to screw the bolts back in.

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Good to hear! Any other quirks or differences to note?

IF you're coming from a Capable bumper, you will need sensor retainers.
M2DZ-15A862-MA
M2DZ-15A862-MB
M2DZ-15A862-MC
M2DZ-15A862-MD

If you have sensors, you will need to decide if you will retain the capable bumper wiring harness or buy the modular wiring harness about $60. It's on backorder as of 2 weekends ago when I inquired.

The two outer sensors ($250ea at my dealer) from the capable bumper will fit the modular but will push out the front when you reassemble the bumper. So, you will need to decide if you will buy new ones or just drill a hole in the back. I opted to drill the holes and it gave me more slack.

My research indicates that the part number for the sensors is LU5Z-15K859-AAPTM. AAPTM being the paint code which means these come bare and you will need to paint to match the bumper, but any LU5Z-15K859 should work. They may be a different color.

Other than that not much more.
Sponsored